Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Be kind to yourself (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796252-kind-yourself.html)

Biochic 02-04-2013 02:48 AM

Be kind to yourself

I attended a meditation/yoga workshop on Saturday. I came away with this: be kind to yourself! Notice the way your inner voice speak to and about YOU.
Many of us judge ourselves so harshly. We are overweight- that does equate to being weak, lazy, worthless, a loser etc.
Since leaving the workshop, I have caught myself a few times being less than kind with my inner voice. It's interesting to key into that and correct it, even say "I'm sorry" to yourself.
Try it for a day... :)

zombiegoat2000 02-04-2013 02:56 AM

I hope u made a typo when u said that does equate to being weak... but other than that I do agree! A million compliments from strangers will pale in comparison to what just one from yourself will do!

Rhubarb 02-04-2013 09:08 AM

I think this is so important. Yes, we need to be kinder to ourselves. I have come to understand that a lot of our weight problems are physiological, but the biggest mental and emotional contributor is the negative self-talk and bad self-image. You cannot be successful in life at anything if you beat yourself up all the time. We're human. Being fat is not a crime or a character flaw. We need to give ourselves a break.

ravenrose 02-04-2013 09:34 AM

yes. it's important to be as kind to yourself as you would be to anyone you love a lot.

it's even better to stop that constant inner dialog completely, but that takes a lot of effort.

Biochic 02-04-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiegoat2000 (Post 16238163)
I hope u made a typo when u said that does equate to being weak... but other than that I do agree! A million compliments from strangers will pale in comparison to what just one from yourself will do!

Oy!! Yes that should say does not equate:stars: I gotta stop posting before 6am!!

jhbyrd 02-04-2013 03:17 PM

I think the saying "we are our own worst enemy"" is sooo true!! Which is sorta sad!!

dejaht 02-05-2013 11:26 AM

So true. I've made leaps and bounds in other areas of my life too since reading WWGF and letting go of the thought that my being overweight was a charater flaw. Changing my inner dialogue has been awesome, and I'm seeing all sorts of flow on effects.

Annabel Lee 02-05-2013 01:18 PM

I'll take it!
Thank you for some wonderful advice.
I will try to pass it on too!!

Aussiegirl! 02-05-2013 02:09 PM

Lovely message and so important - I think if we learn to love and care for ourselves along our weightless journeys it will also reduce the shock of "omg losing weight didn't fix all my problems" when we hit goal.

I recently started a food diary and on 1 side I track my food and on the other I fill the page with either quotes I love, things I love about myself, things I love in life, things I'm grateful for etc.

Have a happy low carb day all

sfmom 02-05-2013 06:38 PM

What a great post - I try to think to myself, you wouldn't treat a friend that way so why are you treating yourself that way? That usually helps me get off the negative thinking track.