Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Just wanted to add a note of encouragement..... Congrats on losing so much weight this far! You are already doing well to be sticking with basically good low carb foods....I'm sure you can figure this out with a few tweaks!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
I've been doing some research on this topic for my daughter, who is also on psych medications. Here is the academic research I've found on the topic so far:

This article (Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Schizophrenia, gluten, and low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diets: a case report and review of the literature) is a good review of the existing research to date. It's a great starting place.

This article (PsychiatryOnline | American Journal of Psychiatry | A PILOT STUDY OF THE KETOGENIC DIET IN SCHIZOPHRENIA) was the original. Unfortunately, you need journal access to read it, but you can usually read them for free on a university campus. The other article cite it, though.

This article (Adenosine, Ketogenic Diet and Epilepsy: The Emerging Therapeutic Relationship Between Metabolism and Brain Activity) discusses (search for schizophrenia) why a ketogenic diets impact neurological diseases like schizophrenia.

This article (Wheat gluten as a pathogenic factor in schizophrenia. [Science. 1976] - PubMed - NCBI) showed schizophrenics who were on a gluten-free diet who saw an interruption of their therapeutic progress when gluten was (unknown to them) added to their diet. Again, the article is behind a paywall.

This article (http://veprints.unica.it/658/1/Miria...si_epurata.pdf) goes way over my head, but seems to discuss some of the pathways that allow the ketogenic diet to work.

I'm working on switching the entire family over to LC, and I hope we see some good results particularly for my daughter.

Good luck!
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #33
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Geekin' in Utah, have you read any of Emily Deans' posts? She discusses the role of nutrition and in the context of psychiatry. She writes for Psychology Today and has her own blog.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Why are you not eating veggies? You should really add some into your diet, broc, cauliflower, mushrooms, lettuce, etc.

If I were in your position I would ease off on eating so much meat and start adding veggies in with my meals. Cut out all fake sugars and see what happens. If you're hungry all the time your body is trying to tell you something.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
FYI I'm on board that you should get checked for diabetes too, however there MIGHT be another explanation as well, as I went through an identical experience as you. I was getting extremely thirsty all day long and couldn't seem to satisfy it, and my blood tests showed i wasn't even CLOSE to having anything resembling high blood sugar. What it turned out to be was the imbalance of Sodium and Potassium in my diet. If you're focusing more on proteins such as turkey, your potassium intake is going to be lower than if it was comprised of pork, beef, or seafood (not tuna though it's actually not that high in tuna).

Also i notice your diet seems to not have too much Sodium in it (other than what you get from the cheese), so you're likely not going to retain much of the water you're drinking. After you get your blood tests done to rule out diabetes, you might want to add the occasional cup of chicken broth, or strip or 2 of bacon to your diet to increase your potassium and sodium intake for electrolyte balance. Once i did this in my own situation I started to lose again and didn't require such massive amounts of water every day. Also as a side note, if you get frequent headaches as well, then this also might be indicative of electrolyte imbalance as that was one of my symptoms too which was cleared up with an increase of potassium and sodium in my diet.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Good luck figuring this all out. I'd strongly encourage you to record your food for a month (there are lots of good trackers out there). This means measuring your food each day, but so be it. Your tracker will let you know if you're eating 3000 or 1000 calories a day, and averaging at 200 or 75 grams of protein a day.

Since you've lost a lot of weight (great job!!!), you need fewer calories and less protein than when you started. Tracking can help you figure this out.

And I second the recommendation to pick a plan and stick to it for a month or so. Atkins is perfectly good and simple to follow: eat 3 reasonable servings of protein a day (4 to 6 oz each); no more than 3 oz of cheese and/or 3 T of heavy cream; eat lots of low-carb veggies (ie, 3 to 6 cups/day, using most of your 20 gm of carbs that way); add good fats to each meal; make sure you're getting your vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes; and don't eat processed junk.

For me, if I'm suddenly starving, I eat a T of coconut oil and wait an hour. Usually that works. If I'm still hungry, I eat some veggies and protein. I make a lot of bone broth and drink that for minerals, etc (and taste!).

Good luck! I hope the diabetes test is negative.

Last edited by tiva; 02-07-2013 at 10:25 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MintyToucan
Bumping for a quick update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lots of people in this thread (paraphrased)
GET TESTED FOR DIABETUS!!!1
Well... I actually didn't get around to getting a blood test and results until a few weeks ago and my doctor said all my blood tests results were beautiful. So yeah... no diabetes. I still don't know what was causing the urgent urination in the morning but I still have a feeling it had something to do with ketosis.

I think I finally got over my hurdle about a month ago. I did a fat fast (3 days of 1000 calories and 90% of them being fat... had to rely on discipline since doing something like that when I was already feeling extremely hungry was NOT fun) and then went back to eating the way I had been, with increased cardio. I also eat a lot more eggs now. Seems to have done the trick because at the start of the fat fast I was all the way back up to 236*, and now I'm 219! (The weight has been steadily going down the past couple weeks.) I also have been practicing intermittent fasting (eating from 11 AM to 7 PM) ever since the fat fast.

*might have been 236 because of food in my stomach =p

I'm gonna start another thread asking for advice on my current eating regime. Thanks for your help and concern everyone.

Last edited by MintyToucan; 04-03-2013 at 03:41 PM..
MintyToucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 341/301.6/150
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Hcg 1/5/13, LC 2/10/13
YAY for no diabetes!! And congrats on the new weightloss!!
TheSouthernPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I knew you weren't diabetic! You wouldn't be having such a hard time losing if your blood sugar were high enough to make you thirsty. I'm happy is was right. And happy you have figured out how to lose some more, too.

I also wanted to mention that you don't need to eat a ton of veggies (or probably any) to lose. I lose just fine w/o any. I usually have a couple of small salads a week and a little onion here or there to break up the monotony, but I don't think it's necessary.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Wendi-Bell
Stats: 191/156(142) (169/162/140) 5'7"
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 04/26/2004 and yet again....1/24/14(10years later)
I didnt read the entire thread, and Ive just started back on Atkins, after 9 years, but, if i recall correctly, if you push thru being hungry for a week, you should break that stall. Also, you could try a higher carb day, followed by a super low carb day, then back to normal. Maybe someone else can touch on this, as I know I am a bit rusty. BTW, good job on your current loss!!
Wendi-Bell is offline   Reply With Quote