Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Chia seeds? Thoughts? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796196-chia-seeds-thoughts.html)

dee 02-03-2013 01:09 PM

Chia seeds? Thoughts?

I consider flax seed low carb. How about chia seeds? 1/4 cup has
16 g of carbs but 14 of those are fiber. Comments?

picklepete 02-03-2013 01:21 PM

I occasionally use them as a pudding thickener, but any more than 1 tbsp gives me grumpy tummy so approach with caution. Fiber is not necessarily a "more is better" thing. :p

synger 02-03-2013 07:47 PM

I've eaten a couple teaspoonsful in liquid, to make a chia fresca.

jmc305 02-03-2013 08:01 PM

I use chia seeds in baked goods with good results. Google "chia seed brownies" and you can probably find it. It's a Jamie Von Eaton recipe. You can also use it to add thickness to shakes or pudding. They are definitely low carb enough, it's just a matter of whether you like the taste or not.

dee 02-03-2013 08:02 PM

Thanks guys, I will approach with caution :sick: I found a book after I posted my question. "Chia; the complete guide to the ultimate superfood. " I'll try the drink first before going crazy with any of the other recipes

dee 02-03-2013 08:04 PM

Thanks JMC! It may even be in my book. Appreciate the tip!

readyfredy 02-04-2013 09:07 AM

I sprinkle some on my cottage cheese. Maybe 1/2 a tablespoon. I wouldn't eat a whole 1/2 cup!

Janknitz 02-04-2013 11:18 AM

I use chia seeds occasionally, but they are not a mainstay of my diet. Too expensive!!!! They are nice for texture.

I like to make a chia "pudding" by letting them gel in coconut or almond milk with cinnamon and a bit of sweetener. I put them in my hot breakfast "cereal" mix (flax, chia, almond meal, pumpkin seeds, protein powder, and spices).

That's about it.

Mimosa23 02-05-2013 02:44 AM

I am trying to get my omega 3 fat ratios better, and found that Chia seeds contain high amounts of omega 3... I am now supplementing with cod liver oil, flax seeds and chia seeds.

Jan, your hot breakfast cereal sounds nice!

I mix mine in greek yogurt. I tried making a pre mix of flax, coconut flakes, EVCO and a touch of stevia, and then mixed that with the yogurt and chia seeds that I let soak for about 10 minutes. Omega 3 low carb yumminess! Will definitely be eating that again if my carbs allow it for the day. Hmmmm... Maybe I can mix in a touch of coconut milk too....

synger 02-05-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16239019)
I use chia seeds occasionally, but they are not a mainstay of my diet. Too expensive!!!! They are nice for texture.

I like to make a chia "pudding" by letting them gel in coconut or almond milk with cinnamon and a bit of sweetener. I put them in my hot breakfast "cereal" mix (flax, chia, almond meal, pumpkin seeds, protein powder, and spices).

That's about it.

Expensive? I buy mine at the local Hispanic grocery, in the spice aisle, and they're pretty reasonable.

jem51 02-05-2013 08:59 AM

Love them. 1 T adds a nice crunch to my yogurt/cottage cheese.

millergirl1976 02-05-2013 09:21 AM

I like mixing them in to my quiche that I bake for breakfast all week. They help it stand up well, and not be watery.

I also sprinkle them here and there on whatever I can sneak them in to, so my boys eat them often as well. And have absolutely no idea. ;)

Girlieschmoo 02-05-2013 12:10 PM

I use them in everything baked: protein bars, waffles, muffins, etc.

I subtract all primary, naturally-occurring fiber from my carb count (I.e. vegetables, chia, etc..). For items that take natural fiber out and then put it back in in some powdered or other form, I don't subtract it (many protein bars, "enriched", etc..)

Jennyl 02-05-2013 12:29 PM

I've never tried them but I have heard they are good for you. My daughter eats them in yogurt but they look really slimy to me :sick:

buttoni 02-05-2013 01:52 PM

I make my single serving bread with gel made from ground up chia seeds. So nearly everyday I get a little. Plus, I have some ground up and in a salt shaker and shake them on lots of my foods and salads at the table quite frequently. I don't taste them at all on or baked into foods.

Jennyl 02-05-2013 02:35 PM

a single serving bread sounds good...how do you make that?

cfine 02-05-2013 05:01 PM

I just read an article about chia seeds today, so I decided to purchase some and use them in my morning smoothie. I hope they help to keep me full :)

cfine 02-06-2013 11:07 AM

Oh my goodness!! I put 1tbsp. in my smoothie this morning and I have had a bellyache all day long. I feel like I swallowed a rock!! Proceed with caution.

synger 02-06-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16243618)
Oh my goodness!! I put 1tbsp. in my smoothie this morning and I have had a bellyache all day long. I feel like I swallowed a rock!! Proceed with caution.

Ouch! :console:

When I first used chia, I made sure to drink a lot of water afterward. Because it swells up, it can be a bit uncomfortable if you eat too much. Especially if I didn't let it fully swell up in liquid first.

I hope you're feeling better soon! Try only a teaspoonful the next time and see how it works for you.

CuttingOutCarbage 02-06-2013 12:06 PM

Do you think organic chia seeds are necessary? Or just regular chia seeds? Curious if chia seed producers have embraced pesticides, or any other growing techniques that Organic can be better for?

cfine 02-06-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

When I first used chia, I made sure to drink a lot of water afterward. Because it swells up, it can be a bit uncomfortable if you eat too much. Especially if I didn't let it fully swell up in liquid first.

I hope you're feeling better soon! Try only a teaspoonful the next time and see how it works for you.
I thought that I drank plenty, but I still have a weird feeling, almost like heartburn and it's been 14 hours since I ate them. I will definitely eat a much smaller amount next time. Thanks!

Arctic_Mama 02-06-2013 08:46 PM

I like them! I have an almond milk bubble tea recipe from Maria Emmerich that uses them in place of boba/pearls, and they're great in that role. I can't say I've ever noticed them giving me gas or any other digestive malaise, and the texture/flavor is quite nice :)

Arctic_Mama 02-06-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuttingOutCarbage (Post 16243795)
Do you think organic chia seeds are necessary? Or just regular chia seeds? Curious if chia seed producers have embraced pesticides, or any other growing techniques that Organic can be better for?

No, I wouldn't bother going organic with them. The volume consumed is so low that the pesticide load, even if they're sprayed like crazy (which I don't believe they are, they're protected inside the flower), is very low.

buttoni 02-07-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennyl (Post 16241659)
a single serving bread sounds good...how do you make that?

Sorry I just saw your question today. Here's the recipe for the lighter one I do: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ite-bread.html

Here's the recipe for the darker one: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-bread-mw.html

Jambabob 02-07-2013 12:16 PM

Do Chia seeds really help with weight loss or are they just a great source of fiber. I've read all of the threads here and googled it. I don't really see any awesome weight loss testimonials other than the Aztec warrior stories on the advertisements and the short blurb on Dr Oz’s website. Oh, and there was an article in Women’s World as well.

Sorry, I know you were discussing nutrition and recipes but I thought I would sneak my question in. lol

jmc305 02-07-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jambabob (Post 16246074)
Do Chia seeds really help with weight loss or are they just a great source of fiber. I've read all of the threads here and googled it. I don't really see any awesome weight loss testimonials other than the Aztec warrior stories on the advertisements and the short blurb on Dr Ozís website. Oh, and there was an article in Womenís World as well.

Sorry, I know you were discussing nutrition and recipes but I thought I would sneak my question in. lol

I don't know of any food that will produce weight loss on its own. Weight loss is a product of proper diet, exercise and time. Maybe they would produce weight loss in the sense that a chia seed recipe would keep you feeling full for a longer period of time and combat overeating. I eat chia seeds because I like them and think they give a great boost in texture to shakes and brownies. I wouldn't eat them (or any other food) just for the heck of it and expect weight loss. That's just my 2 cents.

Jambabob 02-07-2013 09:30 PM

I might try chia seeds as a thickener in place of xanthen gum... Great idea.

hopewell 02-09-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16240857)
I also sprinkle them here and there on whatever I can sneak them in to, so my boys eat them often as well. And have absolutely no idea. ;)

My Mom used to do this with wheatgerm when I was growing up. LOL It was in EVERYTHING...that and Vitamin C powder. :laugh:

Jess70 02-22-2013 12:14 PM

I just signed on looking for some information on the seeds too. I think that they lend a great texture to my food. I love the making it with coconut milk into a tapioca style pudding. I was just wondering if you can over do it, and by these posts I am thinking it's a possibility. I like that it fills me up and keeps the hunger at bay.

Heidinem 02-23-2013 03:56 AM

Many people claim chia keeps them fuller longer. Doesnt work for me. I do love the crunch when adding it to bread. Good in meatloaf too.