Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I am trying to get my omega 3 fat ratios better, and found that Chia seeds contain high amounts of omega 3... I am now supplementing with cod liver oil, flax seeds and chia seeds.
Cod liver oil is not a good source of Omega 3s; it's far more dense in Vitamin A and Vitamin D. And flax has ALA (alpha linolenic acid), which converts inefficiently to EPA and DHA (the beneficial Omega 3 compounds that you're looking for), so you can't get the full benefit of what you're taking. It literally only converts something like 10% into EPA and DHA!

I haven't looked into the properties of chia seeds, but fish oil and salmon oil are by far a better choice than the other two, and I suspect chia seeds are also a less optimal source of Omega 3s. Plant sources usually are. Unless you're a vegetarian, a deep sea sourced option will be better.

I take a high capacity fish oil, or wild Alaskan salmon oil daily.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #32
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Oh my goodness!! I put 1tbsp. in my smoothie this morning and I have had a bellyache all day long. I feel like I swallowed a rock!! Proceed with caution.
You have to have them with a lot of liquid/water. I love using them in my green smothies, but i let them 'soak' in whatever liquid i'm using in my smoothie for about ten minutes before adding the other ingredients one of nature's wonder foods!

Last edited by mom23kids; 02-25-2013 at 05:23 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jess70
Stats: 18 to 8
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 2/25/13
Just wanted to share that I just recently restarted the low carb way of eating. In the past the first week always left me feeling exhausted and just icky. I have been consuming the chia seeds daily and I have to say my energy levels have been fantastic. I can only chalk that up to the seeds because they're the only thing I have done different.
Jess70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Cod liver oil is not a good source of Omega 3s; it's far more dense in Vitamin A and Vitamin D. And flax has ALA (alpha linolenic acid), which converts inefficiently to EPA and DHA (the beneficial Omega 3 compounds that you're looking for), so you can't get the full benefit of what you're taking. It literally only converts something like 10% into EPA and DHA!

I haven't looked into the properties of chia seeds, but fish oil and salmon oil are by far a better choice than the other two, and I suspect chia seeds are also a less optimal source of Omega 3s. Plant sources usually are. Unless you're a vegetarian, a deep sea sourced option will be better.

I take a high capacity fish oil, or wild Alaskan salmon oil daily.
Thanks for the info, Ntombi!
I take fermented CLO, and was under the impression that this was far superior to any other fish oil. Will have to do some reading/research to see whether the fermented CLO is like you say as well... Got some salmon omega 3 capsules still lying around, may take those before use before date is reached!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I make a chocolate chia pudding that I love. Doesn't necessarily keep me full for hours, but my post-dinner blood sugar readings are always really good after I've had it.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

As another poster commented, they should be soaked and swell up first, usually this take a couple of hours. They absorb water, so if you eat them dry they will absorb water from you and can make you constipated, that is if you are not drinking enough liquids.
wifetoEdmotherof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wyterayven
Stats: 275.8/222.8/175 6 feet tall
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Start over date: Jan 01, 2013
Just tried chia seeds today. I tried them in as a chocolate pudding, and had them for breakfast.

I havent been eating breakfast, and its been ok, but once in a while I am hungry, and my cube mates at work have been bringing in chocolate that everyone snacks on all day, and the smell when someone is eating a snickers is driving me nuts and making it hard on the will power. I have resisted, but its unpleasant to have to do so all day.

The pudding gave me a taste of chocolate and made it easier to resist the candy.

I mixed it up at about 6 this morning and had it at about 9:30. I didnt have any digestive trouble with it, and so am pleased about that. I was worried since some things to set my stomach off.

When I ordered the chia seeds, I also ordered the stevia glycerin. And I made the pudding with that. I am very pleased. Much better than the liquid sucralose, no real after taste. Much better than the stevia I have bought in the stores here, and less expensive as well.

I'll have to try a vanilla version as the chia will mimic the tapioca very well, I think though its been years since I had tapioca so I might be misrembering.