Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Working out (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796124-working-out.html)

Krissy2010 02-03-2013 05:48 AM

Working out

Ok so I'm pretty frustrated right now! I've been on Atkins now for a solid month and I've only lost 7 pounds (171 to 164). I'm in pretty good shape and yesterday I did a 30 mile bike ride and burned 1700 calories. Ayways I gained a pound this morning which means I lost nothing this week. The past two days I've done something related to a strength workout so I'm wondering if I'm gaining muscle? I really love Atkins because it's the one diet tags works but I'm so frustrated that I can't get into the 150's! I'd love to hear from some of you that work out intensely and what your weight loss was like as well as some of you who lost slowly. Also I'm still on induction abnd think I need to stay here for awhile. Thanks guys!

cfine 02-03-2013 06:08 AM

More than likely your muscles are holding on to water from the long bike ride. Instead of focusing on the scale, try to evaluate how you feel on this way of eating. If you are feeling better then that's reason enough to stick with it. Excessive exercise will slow the scale down.

princessmommy 02-03-2013 06:13 AM

Yep i'm betting those muscles are holding on to that water to recover from the 30 mile ride. Muscle weighs more then fat so when you're building muscle you're not going to see a big (or any) change on the Scale But will probably see a change in inches

Krissy2010 02-03-2013 06:13 AM

Thanks so much. The truth is there are so many reasons Atkins has been amazing... The biggest is that I've kicked my sugar addiction. I will try to leave the scale alone for awhile and focus on the positive things!

LastRick 02-03-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissy2010 (Post 16236751)
The past two days I've done something related to a strength workout so I'm wondering if I'm gaining muscle?

Along with tracking your weight, you could also keep an eye on body fat percentage. That way, if you're stalling weight-wise (and feeling frustrated), you might notice that what's really happening is a slow conversion of fat to lean/muscle.

jhbyrd 02-03-2013 07:05 AM

Make sure to measure I have had months that I only lost 1-2 pounds but 5-6 inches-which really makes a difference in cloths!!

reddarin 02-03-2013 07:22 AM

If you are going to do a lot of exercise you really need to measure so the scale doesn't mess with your mind too much.

Adoug4ho 02-03-2013 10:53 AM

I've been struggling with the same thing-1-2 lb gains after intense workouts. But I love them :( I even took two weeks off, but missed it too much. I second the idea off measurements. I've definitely lost inches and and my clothes continue to fit better. I also would suggest weighing weekly instead of daily. I keep my scale in my trunk (junk in my trunk?!) and only let my trainer weigh me Sunday mornings. She made me do this. Otherwise I semi-obsess.

DiamondDeb 02-03-2013 11:09 AM

I don't think you have any reason to complain. It doesn't all happen overnight.
  • Your weight loss is in the healthy range - but you should not judge progress by the scale. It only shows total weight at any given moment.
  • Take measurements. Shrinking measurements show fat loss. The more places you measure the more you will see you have lost.
  • Just workout. Forget the "calories burned." There are no machines or calculations that are accurate.

PianoAl 02-03-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastRick (Post 16236846)
Along with tracking your weight, you could also keep an eye on body fat percentage. That way, if you're stalling weight-wise (and feeling frustrated), you might notice that what's really happening is a slow conversion of fat to lean/muscle.

+1 on that. You can get a free body fat caliper from netrition when you order more than $75 worth of stuff.

You can also estimate body fat with waist, neck, and other measurements:

Online Body Fat Percentage Calculator

Krissy2010 02-03-2013 12:49 PM

Thanks for all the support and great advice!

creseis 02-03-2013 12:56 PM

I am a cyclist, too. I agree with the above statements :) My stats have been slow, too, I started at 161-163 Jan 10 and have been at 155-156 for the last 2 weeks. I have been trying to do things to let go of the water, but I basically refuse to give up coffee and 1 diet soda per day, so I'm pretty sure that's holding me back. I'm sure it will eventually go! Last year, I remember closer to my goal weight (around the same place I am now), I would not lose for an entire month, and then lose 4 lbs all at once. This is explained well in several low carb books and basically, your body keeps retaining more water to take the place of the missing fat. Water takes up less space, but weighs more than fat. The only way to get rid of it is that eventually, over time, your body will realize that you do not need to hold onto it and you will lose a few lbs at once. I am going to start, right now, to make a better effort to drink more water, because that helps, too.

Krissy2010 02-03-2013 05:43 PM

Ya I drink bulletproof coffee in the morning and have a diet soda as well; not giving that up! I really enjoy my workouts and especially the cycling! I will keep doing what I'm doing and drink more water!

Big Stevie 02-04-2013 02:46 PM

I tried an experiment. I haven't been working out over the past 6 months. I started Atkins six months ago and have lost 65 pounds with minimal exercise. I wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't fat because I was lazy and not working out hard enough. Well, at this point I think I have proven I was fat because of too many carbs. While I would never say that working out isn't beneficial, its merits as a weight loss tool might be overrated.

I am now working out because I want to be toned and strong. I love working out and always have. I was just tired of people saying only if I did more cardio or had more intensity. I was a wrestler and football player my whole life, I know what intense workouts are.

Just sharing a story. Maybe cut back the workouts a little until you body gets used to the new way of eating and maybe it will shed some pounds.

Krissy2010 02-04-2013 03:05 PM

Thanks... I wondered about taking it easy n the workouts for awhile but I really enjoyit!

Big Stevie 02-04-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissy2010 (Post 16239518)
Thanks... I wondered about taking it easy n the workouts for awhile but I really enjoyit!

If you enjoy it, don't stop. Have fun. Remember also, you are drinking a lot of water. I drink 128 ounces a day which if you weight the water, it would be over 7 pounds. If your body retains the water, you can show gains.

Krissy2010 02-04-2013 07:24 PM

I need to drink more water... I drink about 72 oz daily now... How much do you suggest I drink?

Big Stevie 02-05-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krissy2010 (Post 16240007)
I need to drink more water... I drink about 72 oz daily now... How much do you suggest I drink?

There is a lots of controversy on this subject. There is a thread about it going right now. I follow the 1 ounce for every two pounds of weight theory up to a maximum of 128 ounces. So for you, that would be 81 ounces. So you aren't too far off.