Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Funny scene at restaurant this evening (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796114-funny-scene-restaurant-evening.html)

Emily-D 02-02-2013 07:52 PM

Funny scene at restaurant this evening

I was hoping to have something a little more interesting than steak, so I asked the waiter about a couple of dishes on the menu. The specific question was, "Do they have any flour or sugar in them?" He went to the kitchen to ask someone, then came back and told me they both did, and "there's nothing we can do about it." He then suggested the French Dip! I told him, "I'm very certain that the big roll has flour in it." He kind of laughed. I had a steak.

Ntombi 02-02-2013 08:07 PM

:laugh: I hope your steak was good. At least you both had a sense of humor about it.

I too went out to eat today. My friend is vegan, and I'm eating strict Atkins, so we both had special requests! Our server was fabulous, got everything right, had a huge smile on her face, and kept our water glasses full. She got a big tip. :)

We shared some delicious caramelized Brussels sprouts, and I got a bunless bacon cheeseburger, but then I saw that the kids menu had sautéed spinach. It wasn't anywhere else on the menu, and the menu was clear that that section was only for kids, but I asked for it on the side, and it was fine. So I felt good about my choices, and I have a little of both veggies leftover, which I think I'm going to use in an omelet tomorrow. :yummy:

Eating out can be like running a gauntlet, but I still love it. :)

picklepete 02-02-2013 11:07 PM

Wheat really is invisible. Even people who eat it 3 times a day seldom say "wheat" or "flour" but everything must be wrapped in it!

Emily-D 02-03-2013 04:55 AM

It was a bit disappointing that a restaurant with such a variety of choices couldn't offer me anything other than plain grilled chicken, steak, or salmon, but that's what it always boils down to, unless I want a burger.

princessmommy 02-03-2013 05:59 AM

I ended up with a grilled chicken salad yesterday at lunch with my daughter, MIL and 2 SIL's. Other then the salad and burger there wasn't Anything on the menu that wasn't battered/breaded or smothered in gravy. Oh well the salad was good! Lol But then had to watch my beautiful daughter and one SIL devour a piece of chocolate cheesecake! Ugh!

emel 02-03-2013 06:58 AM

I like to look at the restaurant's online menu to decide what I'll have before I go.

synger 02-03-2013 08:21 AM

I, too, like to look at the menu before I go to a restaurant, when I can. It allows me to make choices before I am ravenously hungry. I find that when I have a plan figured out, I'm less likely to make bad choices on a whim, or driven by hunger.

That being said, I find it very helpful to have some go-to meals and choices in hand for various kinds of restaurants. Eggs and burgers at diners, steak or fish at American restaurants, grilled shrimp or scallops at seafood restaurants, sashimi at sushi restaurants, curried chicken and that wonderful spinach/cheese curry at Indian places, extra meat in Pho bowls (and I don't eat the noodles, or many of them), etc.

Trigger828 02-04-2013 03:38 AM

LOL your story is funny. Sounds like you had a great waiter.

I also look online before I go if I can. Many times hubby says 'let's try X'
UGH what do they have, can I eat there, do they have a salad available just in case :)

I check out meals and then see how I can modify if needed and usually when we get there the restaurant has always been great about special requests. but low carb is limited, so eating out will always be very limited. just the way it is for me.

Darkginger 02-04-2013 06:31 AM

I went out for Sunday lunch with a friend yesterday - it was great! Had a prawn cocktail (very 70s!) to start with, followed by roast pork and crackling (which was perfect, really crispy), with broccoli, cabbage, green beans, and mashed swede, followed by a cheese board with Stilton, Cheddar, and a goats cheese, and when I asked them not to bring crackers with it, they brought celery sticks instead :) Very low carb friendly - it was the Oak Barn near Burgess Hill, if anyone's in the UK and wants to try it - highly recommended!

Trigger828 02-04-2013 08:42 AM

wow sounds like you ate like a queen at that meal. YUM!

what is mashed swede?

synger 02-04-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16238658)
wow sounds like you ate like a queen at that meal. YUM!

what is mashed swede?

Swede is what Americans call rutabaga. It's from when it was called "Swedish turnip" years ago. It's a staple in Michigan pasties, so I learned about the connection in my youth.

Trigger828 02-04-2013 10:39 AM

oh. thanks.

Emily-D 02-04-2013 11:42 AM

Trigger828, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic. He was not a great waiter, for a number of reasons. And he also tried to push dessert at the end of the meal.

Darkginger, that restaurant sounds wonderful! We have nothing like that around here.

Trigger828 02-04-2013 12:13 PM

lol no I said it flip. I did mean ''oh boy'' you got a great waiter. I guess it didn't come off like that. after hearing all that about flour etc. he then pushes dessert. ugh

babycakez 02-05-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16239085)
Trigger828, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic. He was not a great waiter, for a number of reasons. And he also tried to push dessert at the end of the meal.

Darkginger, that restaurant sounds wonderful! We have nothing like that around here.

I work in a restaurant and can understand if he offered dessert because it is usually a requirement for us to offer it to every table but if he was demanding and pushing it on you then no. I usually joke with my tables about ordering dessert when I can clearly tell they avoiding sweets that way I don't seem pushy but still am doing whats asked of me.