LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
Looks like I'm carrying a carb baby! -__-

So I just jumped on the low carb bandwagon again yesterday after battling on and off for the past year after sucessfully losing 70lbs (75% to goal). While in the parking lot at Toys R Us, a man on a bike asked us if we had any money to spare. I reached into my purse and gave him $5 to which he replied oh I am so sorry, I don't usually ask pregnant ladies for money... at first I was like then realized what he was saying and my mouth just dropped open to which he replies again, wait are you not pregnant? You look like you could be 1-2 months! The nerve of some people! I'm carrying my 2.5 year old son and he says, "oh I'm sorry well you just had a kid soooo... ummm yeah almost 3 years ago! He should have just rode away while he still could, instead of embarressing the both of us. Well now I know that my decision to start LCing again was a good one because apparently the 14lbs I gained back over the year all went to my stomach -__- I am carrying a carb baby lol
Currently Breastfeeding
Current Weight: 258

babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Don't feel bad... a long time ago, at a weight of 110 lbs wearing a high waisted dress, I was given some comment regarding my "pregnancy" (I've never been pregnant).
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
It's happened to lots of us--having someone ask when we were due, etc. when not pregnant. Try not to let it get to you. And remember he said "You look like you could be 1-2 months"--not about to give birth; that implies your tummy might have been seen by him as having a tiny, hardly noticeable baby bump. Most women--even slender ones--carry a little fat in the tummy, because that's part of natural female curves. 14 pounds is not a lot to lose, and you'll get there soon.

Someone once quoted Oprah Winfrey here about saying she wouldn't ask a woman she didn't know about her pregnancy unless the woman went into labor right before her eyes. Probably a good policy.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
He probably wanted the $5 for drugs, because he obviously was going through some sort of hallucinogenic detox while he was speaking to you. Some people shouldn't be allowed to speak. EVER!
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/175/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I use to get this all the time when I WAS NOT carry a baby!! I have 2 boys but I got that comment when I was not pregnant!! Sorry some people just should keep their mouth shut!! Glad you are back with us sure have missed you!!!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
I hate stupid ppl... u should have took your $ back lol
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
When will people learn never to ask someone if they're pregnant???? You can get hurt that way! Lol
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeborahL
Stats: 168.2/156.6/130
WOE: JUDDD w/restricted carbs
Start Date: 1/20/13 (Atkins) 2/11/2013 (JUDDD)
It's happened to me. I think it should be called the plight of the apple shape!
DeborahL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
One nice thing about being older......no one assumes I'm prego.....lol
I used to be asked that and that was my clue to start losing weight. They were usually more embarrassed then me.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Hey, maybe it was your gorgeous glow that confused him! I like Oprah's comment. Sorry you had to go through that--and good for you for being so generous.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DragnflysWife
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakez View Post
So I just jumped on the low carb bandwagon again yesterday after battling on and off for the past year after sucessfully losing 70lbs (75% to goal). While in the parking lot at Toys R Us, a man on a bike asked us if we had any money to spare. I reached into my purse and gave him $5 to which he replied oh I am so sorry, I don't usually ask pregnant ladies for money... at first I was like then realized what he was saying and my mouth just dropped open to which he replies again, wait are you not pregnant? You look like you could be 1-2 months! The nerve of some people! I'm carrying my 2.5 year old son and he says, "oh I'm sorry well you just had a kid soooo... ummm yeah almost 3 years ago! He should have just rode away while he still could, instead of embarressing the both of us. Well now I know that my decision to start LCing again was a good one because apparently the 14lbs I gained back over the year all went to my stomach -__- I am carrying a carb baby lol
I have gotten that for the last 19 years.... So I feel your pain.
DragnflysWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
see picture to the left... ha!

I have definitely been confused with my 5 months preggo coworker... by our doctor. We don't even look the same! He was mortified when he figured it out, but the damage was pretty much done...
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Someone once quoted Oprah Winfrey here about saying she wouldn't ask a woman she didn't know about her pregnancy unless the woman went into labor right before her eyes. Probably a good policy.
That's my policy
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
As a rule, people who panhandle are not known for their tact and witty banter.

Maybe you should have said, "I usually don't give money to people who are stoned.... but in your case, I'll make an exception. You ARE high, aren't you?"
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakez View Post
Babycakez, don't let it get to you, I had a coworker who touched my stomach to check to see if I was pregnant and she WAS NOT someone that I knew that well AT ALL!!! I was in my 20's then and now I am in my 40's and I STILL get the looks but then people realize that I am just fat!!!! I am glad to be on this low carb plan and I am FINALLY after many times of starting and restarting, I am finally losing some weight!!!!!!! I have never been pregnant but my mother and I always carried the majority of our weight in our abdomen and I will be glad to lose the remaining 50 plus pounds I need to lose the stomach!!

Last edited by lowcarbie; 02-03-2013 at 09:37 AM..
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
People are quite blind and even less tactful. I, unlike you, am over eight months pregnant. And yet people still don't notice and are surprised when I affirm it. They mean to compliment me for carrying so small (despite measuring ahead) but it just comes off as implying I hit the dessert tray hard instead!

Just grin and bear it, or gently correct them. Most people mean nothing by it
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Babycakez I am glad to see you back posting - some people just have no tact. You'll have your 14 off in no time and be heading your way on to goal!!

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I was OVERDUE with my daughter, at the playground with my 2-yr-old son praying "please let this be the day!"

And a woman I'd been chatting with for the past hour was shocked to discover I was pregnant. The exact quote was, "You're PREGNANT? You mean you're not Fff.....~horrified blush~"

My reply was, "Yes, I'm pregnant. 9 months. I'm also fat."
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
So my question is, did you give him the money after that???

I got this all the time too, especially since I was an older mother with my second child (41) and my belly is huge. It has slowed down now that I'm mostly grey, thank goodness. People who have a lot more impulse control than a parking lot beggar have asked me.

The other day, I was driving past the post office and saw a mail carrier, in his uniform shorts, with skinny stick legs and an enormous belly. He looked 40 weeks pregnant, I swear. I felt like I should buy him a copy of Wheat Belly.

Then I went home and looked in the mirror. Despite 60 lb weight loss (so far) and no grains for 1 1/2 years, I still have an enormous belly myself. I'm still FAT darnit!

Just praying it goes AWAY.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babycakez
Stats: 267/186/160
WOE: Low Carbin' it! RESTART#3: JAN.31.2013
Start Date: 11/02/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Don't feel bad... a long time ago, at a weight of 110 lbs wearing a high waisted dress, I was given some comment regarding my "pregnancy" (I've never been pregnant).
Rediculous! I cannot fathom how someone could think that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
It's happened to lots of us--having someone ask when we were due, etc. when not pregnant. Try not to let it get to you. And remember he said "You look like you could be 1-2 months"--not about to give birth; that implies your tummy might have been seen by him as having a tiny, hardly noticeable baby bump. Most women--even slender ones--carry a little fat in the tummy, because that's part of natural female curves. 14 pounds is not a lot to lose, and you'll get there soon.

Yes, Thank god I don't have as much to loose as I probably should have if I wasn't constantly going on and off low carb for the past year. I'm sure I'd be back at my highest if not more by now. I am lucky he said 1-2 months and not ready to pop lol. I actually looked like I was pregnant at my highest weight of 267 though, no lie there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriWants2Lose View Post
He probably wanted the $5 for drugs, because he obviously was going through some sort of hallucinogenic detox while he was speaking to you. Some people shouldn't be allowed to speak. EVER!
LOL! I know right!? I always wonder if they are telling the truth or not. I take after my mom, she is a very generous person so I'm always giving people money. I also work as a waitress and make tips so I've always been generous in giving tips as well... even when I don't feel like I should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbyrd View Post
I use to get this all the time when I WAS NOT carry a baby!! I have 2 boys but I got that comment when I was not pregnant!! Sorry some people just should keep their mouth shut!! Glad you are back with us sure have missed you!!!!
Thank you! Sure have missed you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaligirl714 View Post
I hate stupid ppl... u should have took your $ back lol
That's what I said after we got in the car. Everyone I told the story to asks me if I asked for it back. Wish I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisha1976 View Post
When will people learn never to ask someone if they're pregnant???? You can get hurt that way! Lol
Most definitely. I kind of stood there contemplating if I should hit him, take my money back or brush it off and complain about it later. I took choice #3 haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahL View Post
It's happened to me. I think it should be called the plight of the apple shape!
Once we get to our healthy goal weight it will just be one of those things we can laugh about and be thankful for situations like this that help us stay motivated so it doesn't happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndiane View Post
One nice thing about being older......no one assumes I'm prego.....lol
I used to be asked that and that was my clue to start losing weight. They were usually more embarrassed then me.
Oh yea, he was beyond embarrassed. I guess that is there punishment for asking such dumb questions. He should have just just up after he realized his mistake lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Hey, maybe it was your gorgeous glow that confused him! I like Oprah's comment. Sorry you had to go through that--and good for you for being so generous.

I wish haha! I too agree with Oprah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragnflysWife View Post
I have gotten that for the last 19 years.... So I feel your pain.
aww, no fun! *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealything View Post
see picture to the left... ha!

I have definitely been confused with my 5 months preggo coworker... by our doctor. We don't even look the same! He was mortified when he figured it out, but the damage was pretty much done...
Some of us just arn't blessed with all over weight gain rather just tummy gain! When I gained my 14lbs back this time I know for a fact that it all went to my tummy because I'm sporting a nice new muffin top now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieJack View Post
As a rule, people who panhandle are not known for their tact and witty banter.

Maybe you should have said, "I usually don't give money to people who are stoned.... but in your case, I'll make an exception. You ARE high, aren't you?"
If it ever happens again (hopefully not) I will be armed and loaded with insults to fire back lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbie View Post
Babycakez, don't let it get to you, I had a coworker who touched my stomach to check to see if I was pregnant and she WAS NOT someone that I knew that well AT ALL!!! I was in my 20's then and now I am in my 40's and I STILL get the looks but then people realize that I am just fat!!!! I am glad to be on this low carb plan and I am FINALLY after many times of starting and restarting, I am finally losing some weight!!!!!!! I have never been pregnant but my mother and I always carried the majority of our weight in our abdomen and I will be glad to lose the remaining 50 plus pounds I need to lose the stomach!!
I bet! I even hated when random people would come up and touch my stomach while I was pregnant, can't imagine them doing it while I'm not. The comments are already enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
People are quite blind and even less tactful. I, unlike you, am over eight months pregnant. And yet people still don't notice and are surprised when I affirm it. They mean to compliment me for carrying so small (despite measuring ahead) but it just comes off as implying I hit the dessert tray hard instead!

Just grin and bear it, or gently correct them. Most people mean nothing by it
I know, my manager is 7 months pregnant and she got offended when a lady asked her when she was due and then laughed at her when she said in April because apparently her friend sitting next to her was 9 months (due in 2 days) and she said my manager looked way bigger. My manager took that as an insult saying she looked fat. So yea it just depends on how people take things. I'm not upset about it but it is fun to joke around about. Do I like it? no but I won't loose sleep over it.

When are you due? My sister in law is due Feb 18th but she is most likely being induced on Monday the 11th due to complications. Hoping you have a fast labor and quick recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmom View Post
Babycakez I am glad to see you back posting - some people just have no tact. You'll have your 14 off in no time and be heading your way on to goal!!

Audrey
Thank you, it is refreshing to be back. So far so good, already down 7 of those 14 pounds in the first 3 days. Not sure why so much but hey I'm not complaining lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
I was OVERDUE with my daughter, at the playground with my 2-yr-old son praying "please let this be the day!"

And a woman I'd been chatting with for the past hour was shocked to discover I was pregnant. The exact quote was, "You're PREGNANT? You mean you're not Fff.....~horrified blush~"

My reply was, "Yes, I'm pregnant. 9 months. I'm also fat."

That is just horrible! I can't imagine how she could not notice, especially at 9 months! Just like that show on TV (I didn't know I was pregnant) when even the actual mother couldn't tell they were pregnant. I couldn't imagine not knowing if I was pregnant for an entire 9 months, there are so many symptoms it just blows my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
So my question is, did you give him the money after that???

I got this all the time too, especially since I was an older mother with my second child (41) and my belly is huge. It has slowed down now that I'm mostly grey, thank goodness. People who have a lot more impulse control than a parking lot beggar have asked me.

The other day, I was driving past the post office and saw a mail carrier, in his uniform shorts, with skinny stick legs and an enormous belly. He looked 40 weeks pregnant, I swear. I felt like I should buy him a copy of Wheat Belly.

Then I went home and looked in the mirror. Despite 60 lb weight loss (so far) and no grains for 1 1/2 years, I still have an enormous belly myself. I'm still FAT darnit!

Just praying it goes AWAY.
Too bad I handed him the money before he made the comment otherwise I would have been like aww man looks like I just spent it, sorry good luck & goodnight... but that wasn't the case lol. I do the same thing too always thinking wow, that person should not be wearing a shirt like that where you can see all those rolls then I look in the mirror and feel like a hypocrite haha. We'll get there eventually though!

Last edited by babycakez; 02-04-2013 at 07:12 PM..
babycakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 97/96/83kg, 5'11.5'', originally 120kg in Aug 2012
Start Date: Restart Nov 2013
Oh man, so rude! I've had the opposite, people couldn't tell until I was 7 months, thought I was just overweight, not pregnant and overweight haha.
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote