LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
How Do I know when to stop?

Losing weight that is. Way back on May 21st of last yr I started LC and honestly at 207 I couldn't really Picture being at Goal. I made my ultimate goal 145 at first. Mainly because 145 is in the Healthy range for my height. And now that i'm 151 i'm so close to my goal But can't decide whether That's really my goal or not! I haven't been the weight i'm at Now for at least 14 yrs! Haven't been in the 140's for about 22 Yrs! I get the comments constantly about how I shouldn't lose Anymore weight or i'd be scary skinny! It's a compliment in a way But also frustrating because they don't See the places I Need to lose it! I've lost a lot of inches around the abs etc but that's still the place where I need the most work. I haven't been cleared my Dr from my surgery to workout yet but I know that'll help tone up some. I just don't know what to do. Stay at 145 when I reach it and try to tone up as much as I can Or lose to 140 and tone up? Argh! I'm a rambling confused mess! Lol

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I'm giving myself a 5lb window. My goal weigh is at the top of that and then i figure once i start toning, starting to exercise and learn how to do maintance i'll lose a few more pounds. I don't want to lose more than my window though, because that's the low end of the the healthy range for my age/height. So my goal weight is actually between 130-135.

Maybe you do something similar-give yourself a maintanance window to work in

Last edited by mom23kids; 02-01-2013 at 04:30 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sara! This probably sounds strange but i'm almost scared to stop losing weight! And I don't Like that feeling!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Thanks Sara! This probably sounds strange but i'm almost scared to stop losing weight! And I don't Like that feeling!
I am too-we know how to lose weight, but maintanace is something new that we'll have to learn how to do
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
How tall are you? I think you just generally got to a point where you are happy with your body and how clothes fit on you and how fit you are.

I wouldn't pay attention to most comments. I think people are used to seeing bigger people nowadays so anyone that gets to a healthy, slim weight is automatically an outlier and looks/seems very skinny in comparison. And, I hate these "scary skinny" comments that get bandied about, very offensive in my opinion. No one goes around saying that hey, maybe you should stop eating so much because you are approaching "scary fat".

Just because you haven't been that weight for a while doesn't mean it wouldn't be great on you. I think Dr/ Atkins said in one of his earliest books how there is no reason why we shouldn' aim for high school or dream goal weights. My mom has been the same weight (slim) her whole life (she's approaching 60) and she looks great.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 02-01-2013 at 04:56 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks!! I'm almost 5'5. I say 5'5 most of the time Lol. I don't let comments keep me from losing, it just gets Old and frustrating! I Swear the next person who says for me to stop losing weight i'm going to strip down and show them that Yes I Do! Lol! Bet that'd shut em up with Shock! Lol! I know that they see my skinner hands, wrists and face along with my collarbones being more pronounced. So I understand where they're coming from, a little! Lol! I just really hope I can get released to workout soon!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Just a warning: I have gotten to within 5lbs many times and then fallen off the wagon completely and gained lots of weight back just from adding in carbs and trying to go on maintenance. This time, I am going to stay low carb hopefully throughout losing all the weight including the last 5lbs. Usually I stop losing quickly when I'm at this point and it's really easy to get frustrated. The weight loss slows down and it may take 2 months to lose that last 5 lbs while in ketosis, but it will take a lot longer if you go out of ketosis.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
I know what you mean princessmommy, people make rude comments to me too, about my current weight. Even though I`m a bit below the goal weight I first had when I started this journey, I`m by no means too skinny. I`m content to stay between 140-145 even though all the BMI and weight loss calculators have my weight usually in the 130`s for my height and bone structure. I`m doing what feels right for me and my body, we`re all different and have to do what feels right for us.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
WTG for you! Congrats in your success in such a wonderful accomplishment!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
. I haven't been cleared my Dr from my surgery to workout yet but I know that'll help tone up some. I just don't know what to do. Stay at 145 when I reach it and try to tone up as much as I can Or lose to 140 and tone up? Argh! I'm a rambling confused mess! Lol
Where you go from here, depends on many things. For a long term sustainable approach I recommend using the atkins diet to try to find your ACE, and not worry about your body and what it looks like. You need to figure out how to maintain your weight, that is the most important thing for long term sustainability. The body composition issues that you are talking about come later after you have already learned to maintain your weight. The problem when people lose weight is that even if it went on evenly as you packed on the pounds, for most people in comes off unevenly, leaving frustrating problem areas which drive you nuts. That's why you are being called skinny. People are viewing the leaner parts of your body and making assumptions about your entire body based on that. I used to have people tell me I was too skinny after I lost all my weight. But I kept the extra 15lbs of fat in my butt and legs well hidden, and showed of my lean upper body. It was my own fault for doing that.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
When you start exercising to tone up your muscles will start weighing more. I would think a good goal would be to stay around 150 but add muscle
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maintaince worrys me some. LC is The way I eat now though, not just to lose weight But to control my ibs and excema etc and I Feel better eatting LC. I've lost a lot before and gained it All back + more but this time something clicked and it's differant kwim?
Thanks SOOO much everyone for all the amazing insites and suggestions!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Quote:
I feel exactly the same way! My original goal was 175 (very arbitrary really because I haven't been that weight in so long) . I made it to that, but decided to maybe go 5 lbs at a time and see how I feel. But I'm almost afraid to not have a goal for fear of starting to slack off! I DO NOT want to gain this back!!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Oh, PM. I hear ya LOUD and CLEAR.

I'm struggling in many ways with this right now, including anyone (IRL) I try to talk to yelling at me (literally, I've had people yell at me) that I look great and need to stop worrying about it and thinking about it and focusing on it so much. But *I* know what I look like (particularly my lower abs and thighs) without clothes sucking them in.

It's difficult, not knowing what to do.

I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but maybe knowing you're not alone is a little help?

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
If you are going to be working out more...especially if you are going to weight or resistance train, I would worry more about was size(clothes size or inches) you want to be as opposed to what weight you want to be...working out may cause you to way the same or more but lose inches or just reshape...just some food for thought....lc food haha...I know a lot of people who weigh a lot but are more firm and shapely than some who weigh a lot less than they do.
Good luck with figuring this out as my goal still eludes me by a few pounds...I may lower my goal so I have room to go up with out panicking...but if I add a weight regimen I will watch measurements more.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I mainly want to firm up my sagging butt, stomach and thighs! For some weird reason my arms look Great! I was worried about getting those "Bat wings" lol!
Astribling I feel the same way! It's like having that "goal" of losing helps keep me on track! I need to make a new goal for something else! But what Lol
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 71yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet; JUDDD
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12: 1/17/14
Quote:
I mainly want to firm up my sagging butt, stomach and thighs! For some weird reason my arms look Great! I was worried about getting those "Bat wings" lol!
Astribling I feel the same way! It's like having that "goal" of losing helps keep me on track! I need to make a new goal for something else! But what Lol
Congratulations on your success! Don't pay attention to what others say. How are they on their weight and body fat %? At what weight in the past were you comfortable with? At least that's how I decided on the weight I want to get back to.

I had the same thing happen to me from a specific family - all of whom were over weight. However, a gentleman friend I hadn't seen for a long time was astonished when he saw me and said I looked like a teen-ager. No kidding. He just kept looking at me and saying that with such a surprised look on his face. This was after I had lost weight on Atkins and had been doing the Body for Life Challenges.

I would suggest waiting until you reach "your" goal before starting any heavy lifting or intense cardio as the scales will go up. Folks are right about paying attention to inches and not weight, but it is possible to lose inches while exercising and maintaining at the weight you choose.

I'm doing rather low impact exercises and my weight is fluctuating as it is and I won't lose as fast until my bod gets used to it, but that's fine with me. I'm using very low weights and decided not to up them until I reach goal. They will still be low - just not as low - as I'm just interested in toning and getting rid of body fat.

Good luck!

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
In my experience so far princessmommy, maintenance is a "goal"...so much to figure out and tweak. Every day is a new adventure, while trying to maintain that "goal". In my case I try to stay within 5 lbs, so if I start to go up a bit I may have to cut back on the wine or dark chocolate. Unfortunately I`m very lazy, my only exercise is walking the dog,but you might find it a bit easier, because you`re more active.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/244/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Are you eating enough to be satisfied? If so let your body be your guide. Keep eating like you are and see where you are when the weight loss stops.

If you are doing dramatic eating tweaks to lose or extremely low calorie ease up a bit and see what happens. It seems like most bodies have a comfortable weight range that they settle into and maintain with relative ease. You can always go into weight loss mode again if you decide to try a slightly lower weight.

Your body will reconfigure some when the weight loss slows or stops and those gaunt looking areas will smooth out some and the baggy areas will tighten up some. Don't panic, since you plan to stay low carb it shouldn't be a big shock between losing/maintaining.

By the way you have done a great job getting to the place you are and look wonderful. Congrats.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Shelly, you look fantastic! As to when to stop, just be sure it's when YOU want to stop, not someone else's opinion! I like to err on the low side--- it's soooo easy to gain and so hard to lose.......!
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks so much! I think the last weight I really felt good at was around 135-140? Way before kids that's for sure! Lol. Since i'm doing this for Me i'm trying to figure out where I want to stop. Shoot if I went by what others say i'd still be 160 or so. Since I have fibromylgia alot of strenious exercise is out for me. Before surgery I was doing Wii fit, walking a couple miles every other day with a little jogging added in and ab work. I can't do much weight lifting in the arms since that's where the majority of my pain is. Guess that's why i'm so amazed that my arms look good right now Lol!
Halos, I did have to tweek my diet some in the last few weeks because I was so stuck for 3 months, I don't count calories or fat just carbs and I don't use anything like a tracker because I can't do it from my phone internet. But I just started eatting a little less then I was and it started me losing again. I don't go hungry I just started paying closer attention to how I felt eatting less then I did and realized I Was eatting to much.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I'm not saying all your friends and family are right, but sometimes we really can't see our bodies as they are. Some people really do get too thin sometimes. I've seen it many times on this board, and lots of times, people chalked it up to others being jealous, or just used to seeing them heavier. Sometimes that's the case, and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes the person has just gone too far, and couldn't see it because their brain was still overweight, if that makes sense.

It's hard to know whom to trust when most people we know are used to seeing us bigger, so they may need time to adjust as well, but what about one of your doctors, Shelly? If you have Fibro, I bet you see some regularly. It might be a good idea to have someone with "no dog in the fight," and no emotional connection, to tell you honestly when you're at a good place to stop losing.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/175/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
When you start exercising to tone up your muscles will start weighing more. I would think a good goal would be to stay around 150 but add muscle
I find this to be true!! I am in the 150's right now and I am shorter than you. I lift weights which I know has added to my weight but makes me little skinner! I wear a great fitting size 6 right now/med top!!! My goal is 140's but I am pretty happy right now! My waist/abs is my worst area too but right now I have to say I have a little defination (lines on the sides and one in the middle), not that I look like a model or anything!! Exercises plays a large part in my plan!! GOOD LUCK, you have done so great KUTGW!! OH I get those comments to, I think they are SOOOO funny, nobody ever told me I was scary fat!!LOL!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
Hmm..I don't think its possible to starve yourself if you eat adequate fat and protein even if you keep carbohydrates low indefinitely. Your body should settle where it is supposed to...I don't believe that we "have" to add more carbs, its doesn't make physiological sense to me.

My 16 year old has no plans to add in more carbs; she is at goal weight and the carbiest thing she eats regularly is strawberries. She's been on plan for over 2 years, and her 5 foot nine inch muscular body doesn't go below 150. Why? Because on her low-carbohydrate diet she gets the nutrients she needs.

In our family, when we add more carbs, we get obese. And somehow I think that may be true for many people who try to add back carbs...

So I'd say relax. Your diet's healthy and what it is supposed to be!

Last edited by moonmirror; 02-02-2013 at 10:04 AM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Do you have a good friend or someone you could ask that will tell you the truth?

I am fortunate that I have a lot of friends and family that love me, but there are only two people that I would ask about something like that and know they would tell me the truth. One has been a friend since high school and one is a gal I work with.

If you are worried about how to keep your focus if you aren't losing, start running and racing. When I say racing, I don't mean you have to try to win, but register for something.... A 5k is a good race to start with. Then you are training for something. With that comes the planning, the goals, the milestones- all the stuff that kept you on track during weight loss.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
Arghh...don't ya hate it when people rain on your parade. Right now I am getting a lot of beef from moms at my kids school. Not sure how to take them, some I am real close too and they are skinny too so would not take it as jealousy. It has gotten so bad that a good friend of mine even sends food over when her son comes over for a playdate. Like she thinks I am starving myself of something...lol!!! I am also sick with the little comments, like "you don't eat enough" or "you are gonna blow away if you lose more" what in the world??? can't people just say something nice? women especially can be so cruel. I am going for my goal so look out here I come!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Losing weight that is. Way back on May 21st of last yr I started LC and honestly at 207 I couldn't really Picture being at Goal. I made my ultimate goal 145 at first. Mainly because 145 is in the Healthy range for my height. And now that i'm 151 i'm so close to my goal But can't decide whether That's really my goal or not! I haven't been the weight i'm at Now for at least 14 yrs! Haven't been in the 140's for about 22 Yrs! I get the comments constantly about how I shouldn't lose Anymore weight or i'd be scary skinny! It's a compliment in a way But also frustrating because they don't See the places I Need to lose it! I've lost a lot of inches around the abs etc but that's still the place where I need the most work. I haven't been cleared my Dr from my surgery to workout yet but I know that'll help tone up some. I just don't know what to do. Stay at 145 when I reach it and try to tone up as much as I can Or lose to 140 and tone up? Argh! I'm a rambling confused mess! Lol
congrats, shelly. i can't wait to have this problem! lol!
as others have said, let your body tell you when you've reached that comfortable weight you were meant to be. it will probably settle somewhere around the weight you were before you started "gaining" ie pre-pregnancy.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
Start Date: January2012
Hi Shelly you look great! I would just go with what feels right, lets say give it another two weeks eating at the same daily carb level, and if you loose any more weight and are not happy with how you look and feel, raise the carb level up by five grams and that should prevent you from gaining/losing and just maintain what ya got.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Z! Good suggestion!
Thankfully my hubby is upfront and honest and Will tell me like it is Lol! He won't sugar coat things so i'll ask him and see what he thinks. So far he says I look Great!