Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: abigail09
Stats: 165.5/158.5/140
Start Date: 22/1/13
New to low carb and not losing

Hi everyone. I'm new to low carb but not new to dieting, I just spent 3 years travelling and have gained over 10kg! so decided to start low carb dieting.

So I started on 22nd January and was losing really quickly. I started at 75.1kg and was down to 71.9kg by Monday 28th so over 3kg in the first week. I was really happy with this and have been checking that I'm in ketosis daily. Sometimes the sticks are just a light pink but there are always ketones from day 4.

I'm doing a fair amount of exercise and have done 5 gym sessions since I started so averaging gym every other day. My carbs are aways under 30g, my calories average about 1,100, maximum being 1,600 in one day. My average days food is this:

breakfast:
2 eggs
bacon

lunch:
steak
blue cheese
mixed leaf salad

dinner:
omelette with pork cooked in butter
small handful of almonds

I drink a shed load of water (around 3 litres at least) and constantly peeing. I have also been taking a multivitamin every day.

Can anyone send me some suggestions? Every day I am weighing 71.9kg exactly, haven't even fluctuated! HELP!
abigail09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
How long has your weight stayed the same?--I can't tell from your post. How many days does "every day" cover?

Many people experience plateaus at various points. Some common times for plateaus are two weeks after starting induction and after having lost 5, 10, or 20 percent of starting weight. Your body may need adjust for a few weeks before dropping more weight, or it may be retaining water but still losing fat. It sounds like you lost almost 10 pounds in the first week, so it wouldn't be surprising if your body needed to take a break and adjust for a while after that.

On Atkins, it doesn't officially count as a "stall" unless you have lost neither pounds nor inches for over 6 weeks. Are you close to that? If not, keep up the good work and be patient.

People vary in how their bodies react to exercise. Some people lose faster when they exercise. I stop losing weight when I do more than walking and stretching, which is annoying because I like to work out. Try skipping exercise for a few days and see if that makes any difference.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Just be patient.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
In American-speak:
She lost 6.5 lbs in her first week, Jan 22- 28. She hasn't lost for the past 3 days, and weighs exactly the same as she did on Jan 28.

Welcome, Abigail.

It's only a few days that you haven't lost any weight. Stay with your plan. You should see some more progress soon.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
In American-speak:
She lost 6.5 lbs in her first week, Jan 22- 28. She hasn't lost for the past 3 days, and weighs exactly the same as she did on Jan 28.

Welcome, Abigail.

It's only a few days that you haven't lost any weight. Stay with your plan. You should see some more progress soon.
Thanks for the translation!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Sorry, I am actually English but living in Australia so everything here is in kg. 3kg is about 6.5lb I have weighed the same for 4 days now. I just can't understand how I was dropping so fast then all of a sudden it has stopped. It's just disheartening!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

A lot of what you lost in the first week was water weight (held in your muscles). From here on, it will be fat lost instead of water, if you keep eating low carb. Most people cannot lose more than 1-2 pounds of fat per week.

If we all lost weight continuously at the rate we did in our first week, it would take hardly any time for most people to get to their goal weight. That's not the case. You really need to have more realistic expectations, or you are going to be disheartened all the time, which is not a productive mindset.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sven is right that the fast weight loss in the beginning is fluid and glycogen (stored mostly in the liver), and you are experiencing the dietetic effects of low carb (ketosis). This is what is supposed to happen and ou need to stick with it. If you go back to eating carbs, it is highly likely you will regain all. Have you read any literature on the subject?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I have done a ketosis diet before but it was all liquid and I lost consistently therefore I was expecting the same. I lost 14lb in 2 weeks. I understand a lot of it is water at the beginning. It's puzzling that I can loose 1/2 kilo (about 1lb) a day and then it just stops. I am in a massive calorie deficit, eating only around 1,100 a day and burning around 400 cals every other day on top of that so surely I should be losing. I was always under the impression that ketosis = body burning fat. Have stuck at it again all day, didn't have time for dinner and its almost 10.30pm here now so no point in eating... hoping there will be some smaller numbers on the scales in the morning! Today I had a grand total of 14g of carbs and 920 calories.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 266/266/168, 5'9", 27
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 19th May 2015
I would recommend weighing once a week rather than daily, many things can cause fluctuations and anomalies so to combat the frustration, pick a day of the week and only weigh then.

You are only in your second week, try to be patient. You may have lost 14 pounds in two weeks previously but someone of your weight/size is extremely unlikely to lose at that rate. The less overweight you are, the slower you will lose.

Atkins/low carb is not designed to produce a massive calorie deficiency. I strongly recommend you read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (from cover to cover) or a similar book in order to get a real understanding of how it should work. During Induction you want to be getting pretty close to 20g carbs a day and 920 calories is way too few. I would shoot for somewhere in the range of 1500 – 1800 to begin with but the beauty of low carb is, you don’t have to count calories, at least not at first. Don’t skip meals and don’t allow yourself to be hungry.

Good luck.
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Aside from agreeing to what already has been suggested, I would also say you are eating WAY too little calories. Your body will shut down if you don't feed it.

If you keep eating like this, you may start getting problems later on with hairloss, brittle nails, etc.

Feed your body, eat enough and you will still lose weight.
Anyway, you are not having to lose too much and it will slow down, whether you like it or not.

Also, if you eat this little now, maintenance is going to be really difficult!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #12

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail09 View Post
I have done a ketosis diet before but it was all liquid and I lost consistently therefore I was expecting the same. I lost 14lb in 2 weeks. I understand a lot of it is water at the beginning. It's puzzling that I can loose 1/2 kilo (about 1lb) a day and then it just stops. I am in a massive calorie deficit, eating only around 1,100 a day and burning around 400 cals every other day on top of that so surely I should be losing. I was always under the impression that ketosis = body burning fat. Have stuck at it again all day, didn't have time for dinner and its almost 10.30pm here now so no point in eating... hoping there will be some smaller numbers on the scales in the morning! Today I had a grand total of 14g of carbs and 920 calories.
There's your trouble.
You're not eating enough.
Stay at 14 g carb, or move up to 20 g if you wish.
Eat plenty of protein and fat. Eat to satisfaction, but don't stuff yourself.
And be patient. You don't have a lot to lose. Just make good food choices, and see where you are in two weeks or a month.

Low carb is not a quick weight loss scheme. It is a healthy way to lose weight while we learn to redesign our food choices for long term maintaining.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice, weighed in again at 71.9 this morning... so strange there is no fluctuation anyway today i am upping my calories. i just ate a huge breakfast of bacon, 2 eggs, mini sausages, cheese and avocado all fried in butter. 6g of carbs and 40g protein. does this sound better? the problem is i am just not hungry!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #14

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I never lose weight every day, no matter what diet I'm on. It just never seems to work that way. A lot depends on my cycle too, for a week or two before I never lose much, but then have a little whoosh after. It's on been about 10 days for you, you have to be patient. It takes time for weight to come off. Stick with your plan, and if the scale is upsetting you, maybe just weigh once a week.
Jennyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crazyj414
Stats: 192/168/150
WOE: <40 carbs / >25 fat / >50 Protein
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Thank you for this post and the answers! I have been doing low carb for 3 weeks now and lost 10 lbs and gained 1 back and it is frustrating since the plan I'm on (not Atkins, but similar) advised that weight would not be gained. It's good to know that eventually (hopefully sooner than later), the weight will again be coming off.

PS, this is quite a change for me since I have a very bad sweet tooth and I would like it to last so any motivation I can find to curb this frustration is very helpful!
crazyj414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
first off, congrats on the weightloss...
the closer you are to goal the harder it is to take off...

Also exercise also retains water weight, when you damage muscle and it repairs its self it holds a little water to help repair..

When you start any low carb diet theres always that initial woosh the first 2 weeks, then it stops.. Even on the biggest loser it happens to them too!
it take a while for your body to catch up with its self..
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Also keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate from day to day based on a lot of things, not just fat in your body. You can have lost fat and still gain some water weight, especially when hormones are acting up

I keep a spreadsheet of my weight over time. While it may go up and down from day to day, so long as the overall trend is down, I'm happy. This can be a long journey. It can be very helpful to keep an overall view, rather than a day-to-day view. Otherwise it's very easy to become discouraged.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
Also keep in mind that the body seems to gain a bit of water weight after a period of loss which seems to be your body's defense against rapid weight loss. After a day or 2 that slight uptick will usually disappear and take a bit more weight with it. I have 3 years worth of daily weigh-ins on a chart that shows this phenomenon clearly. So if you don't lose, or even gain a little bit while continuing to stay on plan, don't be discouraged. You'll need to take a bigger picture snapshot after a month or 2 of eating this way to get any sort of accurate representation as to how well it's working.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail09 View Post
I drink a shed load of water (around 3 litres at least) and constantly peeing. I have also been taking a multivitamin every day.
Not sure if you need to over drink water the standard is 8 glasses but its seem that its false according to some and, one should drink about 1500 Mil average that's including food which usually on average is at least 1/2 already say 800mil from food leaves 700 mils remaining.

Too much water from what i have read throws potassium balance out.

They say Drink when you are thirsty not because someone said you need to drink so much which seems logical i would assume.

If you are doing lots of exercise than extra water is needed but as Mark Sissions says he sees people at gyms with 2-3L water bottles and finishing it all within the workouts which he states is way overboard.

Sometimes too much dairy seems to stall with some not all.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote