LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #31
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by giJ View Post
You know what? This may not be the right plan for you. Plain and simple. Yes, it's healthy, but physical health and emotional health must be in balance.

I grew up in a very Italian-American part of the country, with all of my best friends being Italian. Fresh Italian food was a mainstay (heck, not-so-fresh Italian was a mainstay in my home LOL). But as I grew up, I realized that what I really loved about Italian food was the meat, and the sauces, not the bread and pasta. So I am lucky in that respect.

I haven't been to Italy, much less lived there, to know the kind of options readily available in restaurants, but if this is not workable for you, then it's not.

I tried to go low carb for YEARS before it finally "took". And even after that, it took about 9 months before the switch really flipped. If you're not ready, you're not ready. If this doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. Trying to do something you hate just means the fall will be harder, not that you won't fall.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianda View Post
What kind of person am I? Nice question

I'm not a compulsive carb-eater, but when I ate my "normal" diet of around 250-300 g carbs per day I was constantly hungry, even half an hour after a major meal, which meant reaching out for carby snacks all the time, only to be hungry right after anyway.

I'll check out the South Beach Diet some have suggested Btw, JUDDD looks crazy interesting from a scientific point of view but it's too hardcore for me ;)
I promise it's not as scary as it sounds It might be beneficial for you to look into other IF (intermittent fasting) plans. There's several options out there, besides JUDDD In the 'Other Plans' section you'll see threads about Fast-5, The 8 Hour Diet and 5:2. Those are all IF plans and there's promising research backing all of them up, for good health and steady weight loss
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1 View Post
It fits in when you've lost your weight. This plan has phase 1,2 and 3. In the final phase you can have the occasional cheat. Mixing carbs and fat.
wow it does have a place in the plan. COOL lol
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #33
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
where would a big old chunky piece of italian toasted bread loaded with soft melty butter fit into that plan? LOL

dianda if you really know yourself and your eating patterns, then researching a few of the plans that others mentioned is a great idea. one might fit you. Also there is a 5:2 JUDDD plan. eat 5 days moderately and pick 2 days out of the week to cut calories and be more strict. I hear 5:2 is what alot of people are kinda picking for maintenance.
It would fit in nicely with an UD on JUDDD Or really, any IF plan-you just have to eat it on your non-fasting days

OP-this site has so many plans represented and every one of them works, you just have to find out which one is you're perfect fit. It might take some trial and error, but once you find The One, you'll know
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianda
Stats: 145/121/115; 5'3''
Start Date: November 2012
5:2 JUDDD looks way more reassuring! It's something I kind of already do... I eat to my heart's (sensible) content and then have one or couple of days where I eat about 50% that amount... about 1500/700. Way back I just figured it was another way to lower the weekly calorie amount (I prefer the weekly POV to the daily one) but not feel like I was dieting every day. I have to explore the JUDDD subforum.

Thank you again for all the thoughtful replies.
dianda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
the JUDDD forum has the most wonderful people over there. boy they sure will help you with any of your questions. I wandered over and they are the best of the best when it comes to helping someone!!!! jump over. they will treat you great.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I've been insulin resistant for years, with PCOS. I've had reactive hypoglycemia, and I know how crazy nasty I can get when I'm hungry. My friends even know it, and will offer me food when I don't even realize I was getting snarky.

What really helped me was the Insulin Resistance Diet. It's a carb-limiting plan, rather than a "low carb" plan. But it really helped me understand how carbs affected my mood (and my blood sugar), and yet gave me the flexibility to eat a "normal" diet.

Basically it's three "rules", but within the framework of those rules it's extremely flexible.

1. LINK. Whenever you eat starch or sugar, you need to link it to protein. Eating carbs by themselves makes me hyper, and then crash into grouchiness.

2. BALANCE. For every serving of starch or sugar (15 grams), you need to eat one serving of protein (9 grams).

3. LIMIT. Do not eat more than 30 grams of carbs (2 servings) in any one meal. You can eat more protein if you're still hungry.

There are more details to the plan, but these are the basics of the framework. With this framework, I can eat out, or eat with friends, and still enjoy most of the food that I'm offered. But if I have pasta, I can only have two servings (about a cup). If I have one serving, I can have a roll with it. I can't eat all the pasta, AND the roll, AND dessert. That's too much starch/sugar at one meal.

This plan allows up to 90 grams carbs in meals throughout the day (30 each meal), and another 30 from two snacks (15 each). But even 120 carbs is lower in carbs than the average diet, and if spread out over your meals in the day, and balanced with protein, it may cut down or eliminate the reactive hypoglycemia. It sure did for me.

This plan is how I eased into a low-carb lifestyle, years ago. Now I eat much fewer carbs, but this was my first step. And on days when I'm eating out, or eating at a friend's house and don't have control over my food choices, it provides me with an easily-remembered framework that I know won't make me sick and bloated and grumpy.

Last edited by synger; 02-01-2013 at 03:40 PM..
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Hi Dianda!

I understand! I do!! You need to do what works best for you or the way of eating you choose will be a failure. I know that Weight Watchers works for millions of people, for example, but it caused me to obsess about food because I was counting all the time. Same with calorie counting. If your weight is in the healthy range, eat real, whole food as much as possible while eating your pastas and breads in strict moderation. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you can keep yourself healthy. Obviously, getting plenty of exercise is important, too! I don't want to get flamed for saying these things, but you have to do what works for you. If you are choking down meat and cheese, that is no way to live life. JMO.

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I love bread and pasta too, but I also know my cravings for them lessen when I don't eat sweets or fruit. Maybe try cutting your carbs and see if your cravings go away?

Also you can have those foods ONE DAY, just not every day... maybe you are the type who needs a cheat meal or two every month to stay sane?
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlowMovingWoman
WOE: Lower carbs, smarter carbs & watch how much I eat
Start Date: Have lost 19 pounds from my highest weight
I read some place it takes 30 days to break a habit or make a big change in
your life work. Perhaps you could try it for a honest 30 days and if you still
hate it you will know you gave it your best try but it is just not for you. SMW
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #40
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianda View Post
It's become so hard to eat out that I just don't do it anymore...

I just don't enjoy eating anymore, when once it was one of my biggest pleasures...
You just listed two of my favorite things about this diet, and the two most important reasons it works for me.

Eating is no longer the biggest pleasure in my life. I no longer eat to feel... anything at all. There are better things in life than lasagne. I don't eat to satisfy a craving, or a desire. I eat to make hunger subside.

I chose this diet because of the foods I was allowed to keep. Salami, sausages, pork and beef in it's myriad forms, bacon, cheese, bell peppers, and garlic and onions...

If you just eat a hunk of meat every day with a scoop of butter on top, you're going to wear down. You have to get creative. Not being able to trust any food at any restaurant means that I've had to learn to cook for myself. Most of my low carb creations are turning out amazing.

I made a broccoli artichoke and cheese entree the other night by melting (over low heat) fresh Mozzarella, Parmesan, Brie, and Sharp Cheddar into heavy cream, in a pan in which I had sauteed a chopped onion, some garlic, and a bell pepper. Once the cheese had all melted, I added the broccoli and canned quartered artichoke hearts, along with a bit of Hungarian paprika, and let it simmer for a bit.

I liked it.

I understand your pain. I used to love Italian food. For me, that was the problem. My love for food had led me to class IV obesity. Food was one of the major ways that my wife and I expressed love for each other.

I felt precisely the same way about quitting smoking. Over time I've come to appreciate being free from that addiction. I feel the same relief being freed from irrational eating.

Letting go of that love for food, and finding something new was hard at first. Letting go of the pounds hasn't been.

If low carb isn't for you, it isn't for you. You gave it an honest shot. There are plenty of ways to lose weight, and they all require that you give something up. Find that sacrifice that fits in with your desires, and gives you the results you want. Or don't.

In the end, what you want the most will determine what you get.

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I can understand your plight! Maybe if you can't give up your beloved rice/pasta/bread, you could choose another plan that allows these foods in moderation. As stated above there are many, many plans that incorporate all foods.

I would think if you plan to eat pasta or rice, that your plate is as vegetable/meat-heavy as possible. Maybe measure out your starch portion, (1/2 cup?) and only have the starchy foods 1-2 times a day. That would keep your starch carbs right around 100 and then you could "fill in" with salads, plain yogurt, eggs, etc. If you kept calories under control, then you could still lose weight that way.

Mitigating the load on your pancreas with starch is the key; having protein and fat with it will make it easier on your body.

I hope you find a way that works for you!
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evilmarketeer
Stats: 16/12/10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Ciao Dianda,

I don't have a solution for you, but I really sympathize with you. I spent two weeks in Italy last summer and two weeks in Italy the summer before, and it was very, very difficult to stay on Atkins while I was there. We had to eat in restaurants for every meal, and I basically survived on caprese and grilled fish. I love the art and architecture (and the people), but I won't be going back any time soon -- I was in a surly mood most of the time because of the blood sugar swings and uncertainty about what I would be able to eat. When we were in Florence, I insisted on going to the Hard Rock Cafe a couple of times (like a typical American), because at least I knew I could get a burger there.

I find it truly mystifying how most Italians stay so thin while eating so many carbs. I also noticed that there seems to be a lot more sugar available everywhere (of course gelato, but now also soda, candy, snacks, desserts, etc.) than on my previous trips. I guess you could call it the "Italian paradox." But I did notice that many of the Italian children are now overweight, if not the adults.

Good luck,
Naomi
evilmarketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Forgive me for not answering to each of you, I'm a bit short on time right now since it's 1.30 am and I'm more than a little sleepy

I must say, today was easier. I've jumped on the low carb wagon last Monday after spending a couple of weeks in Paris and making sure I raided the boulangerie every single morning. Guess what, yesterday and today, my cravings for pasta, rice, bread and sweets have almost magically vanished. I'm sure some of it is the fact that I'm feeling more relaxed now (it's like this thread enabled me to think "wait a second, you won't have to avoid pasta the rest of your life") and the fact that I'm finally back in ketosis (wohooo) which is good.

Z, thank you a lot for your post. I'm happy you have found what works for you... Personally, I just can't renounce the idea that food isn't just fuel, but mostly love and pleasure. Some of it is surely my upbringing. I loathe to further a stereotype, but what they say about us Italians and food is true

evilmarketeer, just imagine how surly I am every weekend when my friends (I'm 20 btw, which means I'm required by law to have an active social life LOL) decide to go for pizza and I have to say I'll meet them later

The "Italian paradox" is debatable. Socio-economic factors influence this a lot... Southern regions, which are generally poorer, have lots of of overweight and obese children and adults; also, in the southern regions there is still a certain Mediterranean mindset where plumpness is seen as esthetically pleasing.

The more you go northbound, and up the social classes, the more people strive to keep their figures trim; and since our diet (which varies a lot between regions, but still) is mainly a carb rich one, the main method of keeping the weight down is eating very little. All the thin women (except the metabolically gifted LOL) around me don't follow any particular plan, they just watch their portions very carefully ( = eat like birds)
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annalissa
Totally get you and I do eat carbs, though I'd be better off without them, or rather better off if I lowered them.

I actually do better low carb weight wise and physically but I get brain fogged, depressed and miserable if I don't have enough carbs, even cake.

I just work with it. No plan fits me. I just learned to tweak things and limit my carb frenzy to a day or two a week.

Best of luck.
Annalissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
LC eating doesnt need to be at 20-30g for ever, just until you've re-set your body chemisty! Some people who have a lot of weight to loose (over 100#) choose to stay at the lower end of ladder till they reach goal. Most people fail to realise that it is set up like this to make easier to maintain this way of eating for life. That is the reason why it is so important to read Dr. Atkins Book all the way thru before you begin the journey so you understand the importance of why the limits are set.

Like Dr. Atkins stated in his original '72 book: some people are not "normal" and cannot eat "normal". I actually disagree with this. I find that LC eating is more about mindset than anything else. You have to make a choice. You have to be able to let yourself know that you will slip up, but only you can make you start again at the next meal. But know tha if you choose not to, you will stop losing weight and will re-gain any weight you have lost.

Start Weight:296/281.0/150.0

No more fat roll hanging over my ring!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #46
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
South beach or carbohydrate addicts diet would be my suggestion as you are not too ove weight...I think either would help with cravings and level out blood sugar so you aren't feeling hungry all the time.
That's what I was thinking. Especially Carbohydrate Addicts.......
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiegoat2000 View Post
LC eating doesnt need to be at 20-30g for ever, just until you've re-set your body chemisty!
That's the plan I'll stick with a ketogenic diet until I feel confident to reintroduce some carbs. I was thinking on the lines of the Perfect Health Diet... I'd be on cloud nine if I was allowed to eat some rice and potatoes every day!

The nice news is that now that I'm back in ketosis the cravings for carbs have almost disappeared I just baked my usual chocolate cake for my father, and I'm a number 1 cake batter fiend... well, I had one lick, found it too sweet and washed the pan without a second thought
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
The Perfect Health Diet definitely allows rice and potatoes, and emphasizes healthy food choices. There's a very active thread about it under "other plans" in the "weight loss plans" section of this board. Check it out if you are interested.

Congratulations on losing the cravings for carbs in ketosis; in this post, you sound much more at peace.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #49
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
PHD may be a good plan, and I'll add my vote to looking at Carbohydrate Addicts Diet.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Why not start moving up the carb ladder into OWL?
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Go out with your friends. Tell them how you are eating, get your own little pizza pie and eat only the toppings. I have to do this diet because of diabetes and I've learned that you can adapt to ALMOST any environment. Study the menu ahead of time, plan what you'll eat. You can do it. Glad your cravings are lessened.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote