Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smith13
Cheat day once a month??

Just wondering how many here have a cheat day every now and then?

Is it that bad to take 1 day a month and eat whatever you want?

I know it would slow down progress but would it also keep you on track knowing you have that 1 day a month to eat whatever?
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It really depends on the person.

I know for some people, that one day would lead to cravings and several days, or longer, of either eating off-plan, or struggling to get back into ketosis (assuming you're talking about following a ketogenic diet).

Other people do well with a planned day off-plan, and are able to get right back into the groove.

If you know which one you are, make your plans accordingly. If you're not sure, I'd be wary.

Also, if you're in ketosis, and then eat a carb heavy meal, or day, you're bound to retain water for at least a few days. Factor that into your considerations as well.

As for me, I won't eat off-plan on a regular basis. I have made a commitment to myself to eat consistently on plan 99.9% of the time, and to think seriously any time I eat off-plan. If there's something happening, like I'm going to a very special restaurant where I absolutely adore the food, and don't get to go often, I might plan to eat what I want for that one meal. That almost happened last weekend, because a friend and I were going to my absolutely favorite restaurant, which I only get to visit maybe once a year. I gave myself permission to eat off-plan for that one meal, and planned to get right back on Atkins Induction the very next meal. Turns out, plans changed, but I wouldn't have regretted it regardless. Just going to a movie, or an event out, or the third Friday of the month, isn't a good enough reason for me.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I don't do it in a planned fashion but I take social or gourmet opportunities in stride. I don't need to lose weight every day--just more days than not.

A cheat meal is probably wiser than a cheat day. 1 hour of biological havoc is not the same thing as 12+ hours.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
Just say no. it can unleash the carb monster.
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I don't do planned cheats because I usually spiral out of control. I think less about carby foods when I get really into Atkins and really focus on enjoying what I CAN eat. otherwise I end up with a huge list of carb foods I miss and "must have" on the cheat day, then I have cake for breakfast, blood sugar goes crazy, it ends up being pretty bad.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I try not to, as history has taught me, it turns into a months long free for all with me.

I really have carb and sugar issues, so I should not even think about it.
Also, non LC causes havoc within my body. I try and stay on the wagon and make this my WOL instead of just another diet. (Saying it is easier as doing it, hopefully this time it will stick with me... LOL)
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Totally depends on the person, but I haven't had a cheat at all in months and months and months...like, since my vacation in July. I don't miss it.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngeloftheHeart
Stats: 200/175/150
Start Date: Re-start 1-07-14- with a few cheats
This go around, yes I will allow a cheat day. But I will make sure it's darn worth it. I let myself enjoy Christmas eve and day. I didn't go way off the deep end but i'll tell you the week it took to take off what I know was water weight will make me think long and hard before I allow myself to have a cheat day.

I'm really trying to take this as a WOL. With that being said, I know I am not perfect and I know there will be times in my life i'll want to cheat. *Think wedding day, BD's and other special times in life.* I was very proud of myself that the day after Christmas I went right back to LC. As that has not been me in the past. I like many others have left a one day of being free turn into a week a month or years.

*edited to say; no I would not want to cheat once a month. Like I said it took a week to lose that christmas day water weight. So not worth it*

^Goal 150/140. Still want to be a *thick* chic. Hey, I got curves.....

http://alaskabound26.blogspot.com/

My blog of adventures & life in Alaska

Last edited by AngeloftheHeart; 01-31-2013 at 02:43 AM..
AngeloftheHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
you eat it, you log it, you stall from it or the carb monster grabs you again or whatever but for me NO.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Absolutely not, no cheat days here - eating carbs makes me feel ill, and slows my weight loss. It would also undo all the good work I've done in getting rid of cravings, and I'd have to fight that fight all over again. If I want to indulge myself, I go buy a lump of fillet steak, or maybe a lobster (funds permitting!) - that way I have a treat, but not a cheat!
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/210/175
WOE: Low Carb
My cheat day (wasn't intended during the holidays) turned into 2 cheat months. I JUST NOW got it reeled back in and am where I was prior to the holidays. Not worth it to me anymore. I worked too dang hard to get this far. But, it was a very good lesson to me.
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
There is no cheat day if you want to eat off plan.I learned this awhile ago,it is deliberate
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
I have no official cheat days, I'm too much of a progress psycho to even think about that. But yes there are people who say cheat days even help them lose more, I just cannot put that into my head.

On the other hand I have a half glass of wine every Sunday, some will call that a cheat.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I like what I eat when I eat on-plan, so I don't really want cheat days or cheat meals. Sometimes I have to eat something I normally wouldn't--a glass of wine, a serving of peas, some potato salad--when I am eating a meal at someone else's house, but I try to take a small serving and eat more of the meat and salad, for example. In general, I've found people to be accepting when I choose to skip dessert.

I'm doing a lowcarb version of JUDDD, which means that I eat very little every other day. Sometimes I have to work in a "medium calorie" day, to accomodate a social invitation involving lunch or dinner, but I'm a little annoyed when I have to do it.

I'd love to eat food I like, on-plan, every day, without exception, because I no longer have any desire for grains or sweets, and I drink alcohol only when it's awkward to turn down in a social situation.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Grinsnits
Stats: 243/214/180
Start Date: March 07; Restart January 2013
I think what you'll find is that some people do, some people don't. It's the same answer to many of the questions here. We're all different and different things work for different people. If you do plan a cheat day (or meal) once a month I think the more important thing to do is prepare for the day after. The day you get back on track. Enjoy your day of eating foods that are normally restricted and consider it part of the bigger plan. Gear up for the next day push as you return to foods which increase your health and fitness.

We have all heard stories of different folks who have had a cheat day and it turns into cheat weekends and then it turns into a cheat week. I think that can be avoided if we treat the day after the cheat day with just as much focus and fervor as we do the day we get to cheat. This is how I plan to tackle the cheat day situation when I'm closer to my goals. Between family birthdays and holidays there will be moments when a slice of cake or pie will be in front of me. For me the cheat day process is a two day affair. The cheat day and the day after, when I get back on track.
Grinsnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinsnits View Post
I think what you'll find is that some people do, some people don't. It's the same answer to many of the questions here. We're all different and different things work for different people. If you do plan a cheat day (or meal) once a month I think the more important thing to do is prepare for the day after. The day you get back on track. Enjoy your day of eating foods that are normally restricted and consider it part of the bigger plan. Gear up for the next day push as you return to foods which increase your health and fitness.

We have all heard stories of different folks who have had a cheat day and it turns into cheat weekends and then it turns into a cheat week. I think that can be avoided if we treat the day after the cheat day with just as much focus and fervor as we do the day we get to cheat. This is how I plan to tackle the cheat day situation when I'm closer to my goals. Between family birthdays and holidays there will be moments when a slice of cake or pie will be in front of me. For me the cheat day process is a two day affair. The cheat day and the day after, when I get back on track.
That's a great perspective! And a recipe for going right back on plan, which is the most important thing.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I've been in maintenance for several years now so I don't consider it cheating, just eating higher carb foods. But, I don't plan for it as a monthly thing.

And, I did not cheat during weight loss, I wanted to lose as quickly as possible.

It says that you joined in January of this year, did you just start Atkins? If so, then I wouldn't recommend going off plan monthly. If you need a cheat day once a month to get through this diet right from the beginning, then it might not be the best diet for you. You need to enjoy the foods that you can have and not wait all month for that day off, which is likely to turn into 2 days off, then 3.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
cheats come in small, medium and large packages also.

one THIN slice of cake at a party. Small cheat. shouldn't effect you THAT much. thow you into carb monster, probably not. small was good enough. eh, ya don't need more.

medium cheat is eating that lasagna and crispy bread. You might be OK if you stop now. Almost feel deprived you can't eat like this again.

large cheat. affairs where you eat way too many carbs. all day long. and team that up wtih a few drinks. now you are close to ''wanting all that back'' in your life. You really enjoyed that stuff and now feeling deprived again.

key words

'KNOW YOURSELF'

which one are you? the one who can only eat small cheat.
the one who can push a tad
or the one who can eat large and get back on plan.

and don't fool yourself either you sure don't win at pretending you can cheat and eat a ton and get back on plan WHEN you know in your heart you will bust off of plan and struggle to get back on.

How many fail on very low carb? We all know. ALOT!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
For Me, No! I've learned valuable lessons from Cheats. I feel like dog poopy, I gain and I get those old nasty cravings back that take forever to get rid of!
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
I allow a cheat day at most once per month when I eat whatever for the full day. However, this was only implemented after having made goal. I wouldn't be without them: knowing that I've just had one & another is on the way keeps me even more on track right up until and immediately following. Ultimately, you have to find what works for you!
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LastRick
Stats: 245/193/192
WOE: HFLC (+ IF)
Start Date: July 2010
I don't do it any more because (as princessmommy also hints at), now that I've been LC for a quite some time, introducing carbs make me feel ill. The reflux, the upset stomach, sneezing, nausea -- all the things that improved when I went LC -- come rushing back, which negates any "joy" I might get from that cake or pizza.
LastRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
The last time I was on LC was in 2011. I started on Jan 1 - and I struggled, like a crazy woman with cravings and longing and just feeling deprived. I slipped up over and over again and while I felt WORLDS better than I ever do on a carby diet - I still missed all my high carb foods! So when my birthday rolled around at the end of March - we planned a week off. My birthday was a weekend at a sci-fi convention and the following weekend was a trip to Disney World - and we decided that we would just stay off plan the week in between - we rationalized that we could use up all of our restaurant gift cards so that we wouldn't be tempted by them in the future. LOL!

January 14, 2013 I finally got back on plan. This time I haven't struggled a bit - no cravings, no longing for carby foods and I don't feel even a tiny bit deprived. We are going back to Disney World in March - and DH asked me the other day if it's going to be an off plan day - and I said absolutely not! I'm enjoying this too much this time around, and I'm not going to risk falling back into my old feelings of missing food that I "can't" have. I'm going to enjoy the heck out of that Turkey Leg, and I hear that they now have a Pork Shank, too!

I know that some people are able to have and enjoy cheat days or meals - I'm obviously not one of those people. It took me multiple tries at LC before I figured that out though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I don't do planned cheats, but if you must, like others have said, definitely do just one meal (or better yet, one item- cheeseburger w/ bun, but no fries for example) and not a whole day. An entire day can do a lot of damage!
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/189/155
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 1/18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith13 View Post
Just wondering how many here have a cheat day every now and then?

Is it that bad to take 1 day a month and eat whatever you want?

I know it would slow down progress but would it also keep you on track knowing you have that 1 day a month to eat whatever?
Although I just restarted, my BF and I are losing weight on a very good scale and we will get off plan to an extent during Valentines because we are going away and although we will stay away from desserts and such, we will be eating non low carb foods most likely and of course, drinking.

I feel that in order to stay on any WOE, you have to be able to allow yourself an off low carb day once in a while. And that is the key....once in a while...mainly due to a special reason. BUT only if you can jump back on wagon after. We can so to me that 2 days that we will be away may set us back a bit but we will get back on the wagon. I think also the fact that we exercise daily (and not whimpy either) we can go over the carb limit every so often. But each person is an individual and if you feel you cannot get back on wagon the next day after off this woe, then don't.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I have tried to incorporate cheat days, but that turns into a cheat weekend, and then a cheat week or month or longer!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Here's my most recent experience with this....

First, lc just IS my way of eating. I am ALWAYS in ketosis and seldom experience hunger. I eat a lot of fat and personally, could drink melted butter, ranch dressing and mayo!

Last week my regional manager who is also a dear friend came to town and gets to take me out for special meals. Anything I want and I couldn't resist. First on the list was P.F. Changs.......dynamite shrimp, crab wontons and of course the breaded and fried green beans. That was for lunch. That night we went to a very Chi Chi Ricardo's Ristorante where I had lasagne with Bechemel sauce! The next morning the "party" was still going as we went to La Provence, but this time I just had bacon and eggs, passing on the just baked croissant.

Well, I wouldn't get on the scale but boy oh boy....it's been one week to the day and all I can say is my cravings are out of control since that day and I am hungry like NEVER BEFORE.

I have not eaten off program since that following day and finally, today I am back in ketosis....one full week for two friggin'meals. Usually if I go off a little, I'm back into ketosis within 48 hours. BUT....even though in ketosis again....hunger is still there and so are the cravings. I'm working on the cravings by making appropriate substitutions and hoping the hunger will subside soon!

Was it worth it....NO NO NO!!!!!! Not for me!!!! And if I continue to do it I cannot expect to get back to ketosis the way I used to. This was a HUGE learning experience for me!!!!

Marieze

P.S. was just sitting here thinking, when I'm on program, It makes me feel "safe" if that makes any sense.. Eating the way I did that one day made me feel like I was "out of control" on many levels even though I was making VERY concious decisions.

Last edited by marieze; 01-31-2013 at 10:02 AM..
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smith13
Great responses.

I'm not looking to have a cheat day as I really don't crave high carb food anymore.

I was think more of a cheat day just to get carbs in you because there are some who say low carb is bad for the body. So I figure if you loaded up on carbs just one day a month or maybe even 1 day every 2-3 months it might be better for your body?
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
One thing I normally do when looking to make a determination about one thing or another LC, is to take heed from those I consider the LC "pros". Those whose profiles show they have successfully lost their weight doing LC and see what their opinions are.

Personally, If someone says that, "low carb is bad for you", they obviously don't understand this way of eating or the value of cutting out flour, sugar and all the crap from our diets. How could anyone argue that eating protein, vegetables and fats could be bad for us unless they were mis-informed. I couldn't care less what other people say anyway, I can see firsthand what MY body likes and doesn't like based on how it reacts!

That said, if you were so inclined, there are programs (one of which I think is Judd) where there is carb cycling with high/low days. There is a board for that program that you might want to check out!!

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
In my experience cheat days, especially when you first start is a very bad idea. I`m in maintenance and had a sort of semi 3 day cheat over Christmas and it turned into a disaster that I`m still trying to recover from. The carb craving monster is best left sleeping, because when you unleash it`s fury again, it`s really hard to resist it`s charms. I`m not fat any more on the out side, but on the inside the fat girl is always waiting for me to slip up so she can take over again and I`m not about to let that happen. So, if you have serious issues with carbs (like most of us here), I`d think twice about the damage that cheat days can cause, especially during the initial losing phase. Sorry if that sounds a bit ominous, don`t mean to be a downer.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
My "cheats" rarely crop up in the form of overindulgence on cake/cookies/etc. I had a few days (Halloween, my birthday, that one time at Golden Corral with 2 plates of dessert and 2 bowls of ice cream...oops) but what I usually do instead is have unrestricted, stuff-myself-silly days where I eat as much delicious meat and veggies as I can muster. Generally this involves one of the two awesome local Chinese buffets or a huge hunk of roasted pork shoulder or prime rib.

I mean, I won't lie, I definitely enjoy those rare occasions where I eat as many pieces of cake/cookies/scoops of ice cream as humanly possible while I'm doing it, but I feel AWFUL for days and days afterward. With my meat/veggie/fat fests, I feel stuffed for a day or so, then I drop the water weight and feel awesome afterwards. I'll take the meatstravaganza calorie fests as my cheats.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote