Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRainy View Post
I have no official cheat days, I'm too much of a progress psycho to even think about that. But yes there are people who say cheat days even help them lose more, I just cannot put that into my head.
"Progress psycho" -- I LOVE IT! Because this is exactly how I feel right now. I would honestly rather eat gravel than eat something that goes against the 8.5 MONTHS of work that I've put in. I've worked so hard for so long that I can't imagine any off-plan food item being pleasurable enough to be worth eating while I'm still such a long way from goal.

But to be fair, I'm not one of the *fast* losers so I think progress feels more difficult to me than to people who can quickly lose pounds. So I think that any *small* setback feels more significant to me than it does to someone who can lose 10 or 15 pounds during the first two weeks of induction. Because I feel like I won't be able to make progress if I "come and go" from the eating plan.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
I was wondering if you have read an Atkins book smith13 ? You`ll find really great info about carbs and the myths associated with them. I can tell you one thing, carbing up once in awhile is not better for my body. Eating low carb the last four years is the best I`ve ever felt, it has cured a lot of my ailments.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith13 View Post
Great responses.

I'm not looking to have a cheat day as I really don't crave high carb food anymore.

I was think more of a cheat day just to get carbs in you because there are some who say low carb is bad for the body. So I figure if you loaded up on carbs just one day a month or maybe even 1 day every 2-3 months it might be better for your body?
I really don't think doing cheat days would be good for me, physically. I'm weightloss resistent, and I had to train my body to burn fat, by changing to a very different way of eating (low carb, no grains, no sweeteners, no high glycemic foods, only moderate protein). All sorts of things can stop my weightloss dead for weeks: not getting enough sleep, being especially stressed, exercising a lot, etc. And eating high carb every now and then would almost certainly put me back for weeks and restart cravings, as Marieze posted about very eloquently.

The things that I eat--fish, poultry, organic full-fat dairy, liver, bone broth, coconut oil, raw nuts, non-starchy vegetables, pastured beef, fermented foods like yogurt and kimchi--are foods that are high in nutrition and low in additives and keep my blood sugar level. So far as I can tell, there are no nutrients in the things that I don't eat that I can't get in higher concentration in healthy lowcarb foods. So for me to eat carby food would be shortchanging my body, my health, and my weightloss effort, IMO.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: WW Diva!
Start Date: May 20, 2014
The whole "carb up" thing I really think is only beneficial to extreme bodybuilders and those who need a 'pumped' physique. If you're an average Joe/Jill, it's pretty unnecessary. There's lot of people on this board who do endurance workouts and don't "carb up". In fact, i've seen several cases where they thought they had to - and had to lose the weight as a result.

I never feel the need to cheat if i'm eating enough fats. Atkins is not (once again) HIGH PROTEIN. It's HIGH FAT. It's good for you. Trust us. And after working pretty hard, do you really want to cheat? Why not just make a low carb version of what you're craving?

Two recipe sites I always go to for 'cheat' foods - Linda Sue's (genaw) and Jamie's (your lighter side).

HTH!

Add me as a friend! Facebook

BodyCombat Certified (5/13/13)
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cantare
Stats: 341/208/190?
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: April 2011
Disagree somewhat on the applicability of carb-up/refeeds... I'm an average Joe, certainly no extreme bodybuilder, but I found that my own weight loss stalled at 235 for ~5mo after a prolonged period of steady success on moderate LC. I still eat that way now but have thrown in occasional high(er)-carb days, mostly involving white rice, potatoes and squash (NOT typical wheat/corn/sugar 'cheat' foods)...I even tried a week of nothing but potatoes!

I do believe those breaks from routine have helped break the stall...scale is moving downward again. I don't know the mechanism but I suspect it has something to do with firing up the metabolic rate, or thyroid function, or leptin sensitivity after the body downregulates these in response to sustained caloric deficits.

I guess the advisability really depends on why you're doing it--if it's just you giving in to your old cravings for junk, you'll probably think of it as "cheating" and if you aren't already very secure in your WOE it can snowball destructively. But if you are plateaued (and I mean really stuck, not just impatient after a week of no change) and perhaps feeling low in energy, I think a carb refeed is worth considering as a deliberate strategy, if you don't let it become an excuse for anything-goes. Your body's just too damn smart, so you have to throw it a curve ball every now and then!
cantare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I don't do an entire day, but once every two weeks have a cheat meal. However, I don't go crazy with it. I might have ONE piece of pizza or ONE breadstick. I never make the treat sugar, because I then suffer horrible cravings for days and I always follow about 30 minutes later with a few nuts or a fat bomb to balance blood sugar and help relieve any cravings.

I never have a problem getting right back on plan and it sometimes jumpstarts my weight loss again. Like someone else said, though, we are all different. You'll just have to try and see how your body reacts. One thing I would definitely encourage is to have a plan in place in case it sets off crazy cravings. For example, just plan that you might go right back to induction levels for a few days if you are having horrid cravings.

Good luck.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantare View Post
white rice, potatoes and squash (NOT typical wheat/corn/sugar 'cheat' foods)
Very interesting.
It's a good point--no matter how low the carb level, it's helpful to remember that not all carb foods are created equal. Much of the damage might be gluten or fructose toxicity.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
Start Date: 8-22-08
TishyLish I agree with you 100%

DO NOT HAVE A CHEAT DAY.

DO NOT HAVE A CHEAT DAY
unless you are within site of goal & you have been in ketosis as much as possible - meaning, doing it right and having maximum resistance to crappy food......

Just be smart with the food choices so that your inner-monster-fatgirl behavior does not take over.
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Quote:
Great responses.

I'm not looking to have a cheat day as I really don't crave high carb food anymore.

I was think more of a cheat day just to get carbs in you because there are some who say low carb is bad for the body. So I figure if you loaded up on carbs just one day a month or maybe even 1 day every 2-3 months it might be better for your body?
There is no scientific evidence that low carb or ketosis is bad for the body, in fact, the evidence seems to show that ketosis is not only fine for the body, but preferred in adults. A lot of people are afraid of the word ketosis, but they don't know why, or they have been confused about how our organs actually work due to misinformation, lack of education, and poor science.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
WOE: INTERMITTENT FASTING
I say , those who'll never eat carbs while on their WOL throw the first stone!

RESEARCH shows how CALCULATED planed cheat days boasts metabolisms, control cravings, muscle building, AND motivation to stay on plan.

THE BODY BUILDERS ARE JUST THAT!!!! Body builders are on to something......A CHEAT MEAL CAD style is healthy more than once a week!

.....my stomach capacity is less......I AM LOSING 1-2POUNDS A WEEK DOING 2CHEAT MEALS A WEEK( not back to back)....staying at 30g of carbs a day.

I did Atkins years ago.....IT'S GREAT TO LOSE BUT MAINTAINIng TAKES PERFECTION......I lost 70 pounds 10 years ago .....and gained 90 this passed 4 years......(lost 30 2 years ago....and gained it back)....

TAKE IT FROM ME.....LEARNING HOW TO eat youR favorite carbs while losing weight is KEY to keeping it off for GOOD.

READ UP ON CARB CYLING .....and use when needed.....
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Faith-n-Christ!
Stats: 196/190/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1-16-2013--Again, but hopefully-forever!
Not sure how about everyone elses body responds, but when I went off plan last Sat night and ate some homemade cookies with my boys, I was majorly bloated for 4 days! I was absolutely miserable!!! Plus I had a horable headache the next day and had horrible withdrawls when I got started back on plan the next day. That awful feeling is fresh enough in my memory to keep me on plan for awhile!
Faith-n-Christ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jordy272
Stats: 196.0/169.2/155
Start Date: 8/31/13
I haven't cheated until dinner tonight.. I had an olive garden breadstick with my salad.. it was so good
Jordy272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14days View Post
I say , those who'll never eat carbs while on their WOL throw the first stone!

RESEARCH shows how CALCULATED planed cheat days boasts metabolisms, control cravings, muscle building, AND motivation to stay on plan.

THE BODY BUILDERS ARE JUST THAT!!!! Body builders are on to something......A CHEAT MEAL CAD style is healthy more than once a week!

.....my stomach capacity is less......I AM LOSING 1-2POUNDS A WEEK DOING 2CHEAT MEALS A WEEK( not back to back)....staying at 30g of carbs a day.

I did Atkins years ago.....IT'S GREAT TO LOSE BUT MAINTAINIng TAKES PERFECTION......I lost 70 pounds 10 years ago .....and gained 90 this passed 4 years......(lost 30 2 years ago....and gained it back)....

TAKE IT FROM ME.....LEARNING HOW TO eat youR favorite carbs while losing weight is KEY to keeping it off for GOOD.

READ UP ON CARB CYLING .....and use when needed.....
This has got me going again too, and I feel like shouting it from the roof tops! The last 2 weeks I have been following low carb Tues. through Friday, and doing a massive re-feed on Friday night and all day Saturday. Last week I took in 900 GRAMS of carbs (around 3600 calories just in simple carbs) using bagels, pasta, white rice, and low-fat frozen yogurt in a 30 hour window. I lost 1.5 lbs. of pure fat since last Thursday after being stalled forever. This is with no cardio as well.

Of course it's not that simple. Workouts and food macro's have to be followed to a tee, but it does work very well. Just remember how hard it was to wrap your head around the LC WOE at first. This is a bad idea for people who can't stop eating carbs once they start, and it needs to be scaled down considerably for people who don't want to bust their butt in the gym. These Cyclical Keto Diets work great for people who hate eating a ton of fat too. It just has to be carefully modified to fit the person. At least you always have a planned cheat of varying degrees to look forward to every week.

These plans also would seem to work great for folks who seem to go off and on spinning their wheels for years. It's taking this LC thing to the next level.
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #44
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Just wondering how many here have a cheat day every now and then?

Is it that bad to take 1 day a month and eat whatever you want?

I know it would slow down progress but would it also keep you on track knowing you have that 1 day a month to eat whatever?
How rigidly have you defined your day? Are you able to stay inside that framework? Are you willing to deal with carb withdrawals every time?

12 cheat days a year would cost you 24 weeks - 1 week to start losing again, and another week to undo the damage and lose the weight you gained. You'd spend a lot of time losing the same weight over and over.

LC needs long stretches of rock solid compliance to work. And for some people, a single cheat inevitably leads to failure.

I am not one of those people. I allow for three unmonitored carb refeeds per year, with a minimum of 3 months between them. The most I could recommend is four per year. That's one cheat day per season. That means you get Christmas or Thanksgiving, but not both.

Once you start on this rabbit hole of looking for cheat days, you're pretty much going to do it. Best to structure them, and abide by them.

BUT...

If you discover that you aren't able to abide the rules of a cheat day, and keep it to a single day. If you find that you cannot step immediately back into strict and long-term compliance - your only option is to give up on cheat days altogether.

All of this is only my opinion, based on my own limited experience: Take what you like, and leave the rest.

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
If you are able to get right back on track, I don't think a planned cheat is a horrible thing. I think a cheat meal is better than a cheat day though. I've done a day before and I just used it as an excuse to overindulge for the entire day...not good. Doing just one cheat meal worked a lot better for me
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #46

The cheat days didn't set me back for 24weeks. I still lost 80lbs in about 8 or 9 months and reached goal with one cheat day a month. Like I said before, I stopped doing a day after reaching goal, and just did a cheat meal occasionally. Really, everyone is different, some just cant do cheat days without huge problems.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smith13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
How rigidly have you defined your day? Are you able to stay inside that framework? Are you willing to deal with carb withdrawals every time?

12 cheat days a year would cost you 24 weeks - 1 week to start losing again, and another week to undo the damage and lose the weight you gained. You'd spend a lot of time losing the same weight over and over.

LC needs long stretches of rock solid compliance to work. And for some people, a single cheat inevitably leads to failure.

I am not one of those people. I allow for three unmonitored carb refeeds per year, with a minimum of 3 months between them. The most I could recommend is four per year. That's one cheat day per season. That means you get Christmas or Thanksgiving, but not both.

Once you start on this rabbit hole of looking for cheat days, you're pretty much going to do it. Best to structure them, and abide by them.

BUT...

If you discover that you aren't able to abide the rules of a cheat day, and keep it to a single day. If you find that you cannot step immediately back into strict and long-term compliance - your only option is to give up on cheat days altogether.

All of this is only my opinion, based on my own limited experience: Take what you like, and leave the rest.

24 weeks lost on 1 cheat day a month? Seems a bit much.

Everybody is different but I only take 3 days to get into ketosis. And low carb isn't the only way to lose weight. I highly doubt 1 day of carbs is going to make you gain much weight if you don't get carried away.

I've been doing atkins since dec 17th of 2012 and lost 12 lbs. It could of been more but I'm also lifting weights 3 times a week.

I am going to treat myself tonight to pizza and wings for the Super Bowl. I will start back on induction tomorrow. Do you think I'm going to gain weight in 1 day because I had some carbs? If so it would be minimal.

Again to each his or her own and everybody reacts differently to diets. But I feel that if you can control yourself and get right back on track there is nothing wrong with treating yourself to something you like. This is a change for life but if you can't treat yourself every now and then I think it could get some people discouraged and stop doing atkins all together.
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
In order to be successful long term on this plan you need to change you way of eating. You need to give up the romance and the idolization of sugar in all its forms. The longer you stay away, the easier it is. When you go eat sugar, your body and mind react to it and your craving start again. I will occasionally eat more healthy carbs in a day than my target, but never do an intentional cheat. I look at it like an alcoholic, one would never encourage an alcoholic to have a cheat day once a month now would they?
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maerow
Stats: 185/137/130
WOE: Low carb - various plans
Start Date: July 2005 (low carb)
I have the same problem. My cheats tend to be cake/wheat/sugar fests due to someone's birthday at work, and then for days after I have to fight, fight, fight not to keep cheating and to control the cravings. This is why I fell off the wagon so hard last year. Now I am paying for it this year, and you know what, it's not worth it.

Looking back I can't even remember what kind of cake I even had, what days I had it, etc. But I do have this irritating spare tire around my middle as a reminder. Carb cheats = bad belly fat, and such a pain to take off. Bleh. Cheat days aren't worth the pain.

HISTORY: I went LC back in 7/16/05 on the Atkins diet. I lost most of my weight the first year. Maintained my loss,
bouncing between 130 -135 lbs. I have a dream of obtaining 125lbs but I feel this is unrealistic, and I have updated my goal.

This last year 2012 I fell HARD back into wheat, and gained to 142 lbs. I went back to low carb and dropped back down to 137 lbs (still losing down to 130 lbs).
Maerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smith13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
In order to be successful long term on this plan you need to change you way of eating. You need to give up the romance and the idolization of sugar in all its forms. The longer you stay away, the easier it is. When you go eat sugar, your body and mind react to it and your craving start again. I will occasionally eat more healthy carbs in a day than my target, but never do an intentional cheat. I look at it like an alcoholic, one would never encourage an alcoholic to have a cheat day once a month now would they?
Comparing an alcoholic to a dieter?? Kinda like comparing apples and oranges don't you think?

While low carb does work it's not the only game in town for losing weight. Calories in vs calories still works along with exercising.

But if one has a problem with getting back on track then a one day treat should not be considered.
smith13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moonlights
Stats: 204/150/136
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 18/04/2012
Quote:
Comparing an alcoholic to a dieter?? Kinda like comparing apples and oranges don't you think?
Nope. Sugar is highly addictive. His point is that having sugar again makes you crave more - which is quite true and you may spend a few days dealing with those cravings.

Also re your earlier post - I can gain 4-6lbs in 1 day off plan and it can take me a week to shift that. I'm very carb sensitive. So gains may not be minimal, and if you have a cheat day you will be out of ketosis - which means 2-5 days depending on how fast your body works to get back into it again, which means 2-5 days before your body will start burning fat.

That said, i have planned cheats, but I try my best to keep them to about once every 3 months.
Moonlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #52

While I agree that eating sugar is not a healthy choice....the black and white diet mentality also gets many people in trouble. Everyone is very different....some avoid sugar always with no problems, others indulge occasionally with no problems. The black and white mentality causes some people to fail...there can be a lot of gray areas in dieting, no matter what plan you choose. I suggest the OP find what works best for them, as we all must.

Last edited by Jennyl; 02-03-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
I don't do cheat days - so far I haven't even done a cheat meal yet. I have yet to find an occasion where I have found it necesary to have one. I have been on Atkins for 14 months and have been at goal for 4 months and I really at this point don't think the risk is worth the perceived benefit of having a meal that could potentially set off cravings for days and perhaps even a week.
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #54
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
24 weeks lost on 1 cheat day a month? Seems a bit much.

Everybody is different but I only take 3 days to get into ketosis. And low carb isn't the only way to lose weight. I highly doubt 1 day of carbs is going to make you gain much weight if you don't get carried away.

I've been doing atkins since dec 17th of 2012 and lost 12 lbs. It could of been more but I'm also lifting weights 3 times a week.

I am going to treat myself tonight to pizza and wings for the Super Bowl. I will start back on induction tomorrow. Do you think I'm going to gain weight in 1 day because I had some carbs? If so it would be minimal.

Again to each his or her own and everybody reacts differently to diets. But I feel that if you can control yourself and get right back on track there is nothing wrong with treating yourself to something you like. This is a change for life but if you can't treat yourself every now and then I think it could get some people discouraged and stop doing atkins all together.
This is simply what I've observed. I don't expect it to apply directly to everyone. But there are some patterns. The first of which: it's not worth cheating if you don't go overboard

For me, 100 carbs or 1500 is all the same: Either will kick me out of ketosis (and the fat loss that accompanies it). For as long as I'm out of ketosis, I retain an additional 7-10 pounds of water which I won't shed until I'm back into ketosis. Until I'm back in ketosis, I won't lose additional fat, either. it takes me about a week to get there, and yes - about two weeks to get to the place I was before the cheat. During that time, I'm not losing new weight - just re-losing weight I had already lost.

My experiences don't necessarily translate directly to the next person, and there certainly are other mechanisms by which to lose weight - but I've kept meticulous records of my progress, allowing me to chart the effects of missteps and carb refeeds, and for me it consistently takes about 2 weeks to get back to my "pre-cheat" weight. Two events of non-compliance - one planned and one accidental - in a month that was otherwise by the book led to me ending October at roughly the same weight I was when I started it.

Two "cheats" effectively nullified 30 days of progress.

So, while I agree that it does seem a bit much, this is what I have observed. My math might not apply to your situation - there are a lot of variables at play here.

Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Some of us have to be on very LC for a long time to get to goal and to maintain. So I am impressed with those that say they'll never have high carb foods again. I had to figure out how to eat healthy, enjoy the foods that I like high or low carb...,and lose weight......so this time I can safely say I am more equipped that last time I " committed" to low carb.

This all or nothing idea to low carbing is flawed......CARBS ARE NOT EVIL....the amount we eat is.....and as for cravings etc......a cheat meal is different than a cheat day.....the healthier it is the less cravings.....
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladee88er View Post
This has got me going again too, and I feel like shouting it from the roof tops! The last 2 weeks I have been following low carb Tues. through Friday, and doing a massive re-feed on Friday night and all day Saturday. Last week I took in 900 GRAMS of carbs (around 3600 calories just in simple carbs) using bagels, pasta, white rice, and low-fat frozen yogurt in a 30 hour window. I lost 1.5 lbs. of pure fat since last Thursday after being stalled forever. This is with no cardio as well.

Of course it's not that simple. Workouts and food macro's have to be followed to a tee, but it does work very well. Just remember how hard it was to wrap your head around the LC WOE at first. This is a bad idea for people who can't stop eating carbs once they start, and it needs to be scaled down considerably for people who don't want to bust their butt in the gym. These Cyclical Keto Diets work great for people who hate eating a ton of fat too. It just has to be carefully modified to fit the person. At least you always have a planned cheat of varying degrees to look forward to every week.

These plans also would seem to work great for folks who seem to go off and on spinning their wheels for years. It's taking this LC thing to the next level.

I BELIEVE IN CARB CYCLING SO Much I've adopted it as my WOL.......the natural hormone enhancement diet......goes into lowcarbing and cycling in a great way.you should check it out....so much info about being in the fat burning zone and having your cake .....

And ....I DO NOT GAIN A BUNCH OF WATER WEIGHT EITHER.......AS a matter of fact I've yet to gain more than 2 pounds after carb and by day 3 or 4 of low carb 2 extra pounds disappear. I workout once a week sometimes none 30 mins on treadmill.

I feel like my metabolism is healing from years of lowcarbing and falling of the wagon .....gaining and losing.....up and down!!! .....

My 2 pound a week formula is 5 days low carb one cheat meal at the end of the 5th day, then 3 days, one cheat meal at the end of the 3rd day. LC days are 30g or less sometimes more if I cut the excess fat. But I generally aim for 20g
Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

AND BY THE WAY ....MY LC DAYS ARE NOT SKIMPY......TONS OF "free veggies" .....broccoli, lettuce, green beans...etc.....I've even added nuts and beans some days which I count carbs of......

I'm learning TO MUCH LC DAYS IN A ROW slows down fat loss!!!......our body adapts
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
14days, I am glad that you found what works for you! Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I personally would not be able to do this, as I respond very strongly to carbs from any type of sugar, grain or starch. To me, they are evil. I have found this out over and over again and I will never, ever be able to eat them again. For me, I have to keep my insulin and allergies under control by eating low carb, and adding carbs that do not come from low carb vegetables or nuts will send me in a tailspin/binge. Not to mention my allergies and how I feel overall if I'd 'carb up' for a meal or a day.
See, what works for one does not work for another...

(So many CAPS by the way give the impression you are shouting...)

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gilded Lily
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladee88er View Post

This is very interesting to me. So you do low carb on Tues - Friday and then carb up on Friday evening and Saturday. May I ask about Sunday and Monday? I'm interested in learning more about this. Thank you!

Quote:
I BELIEVE IN CARB CYCLING SO Much I've adopted it as my WOL.......the natural hormone enhancement diet......goes into lowcarbing and cycling in a great way.you should check it out....so much info about being in the fat burning zone and having your cake .....

And ....I DO NOT GAIN A BUNCH OF WATER WEIGHT EITHER.......AS a matter of fact I've yet to gain more than 2 pounds after carb and by day 3 or 4 of low carb 2 extra pounds disappear. I workout once a week sometimes none 30 mins on treadmill.

I feel like my metabolism is healing from years of lowcarbing and falling of the wagon .....gaining and losing.....up and down!!! .....

My 2 pound a week formula is 5 days low carb one cheat meal at the end of the 5th day, then 3 days, one cheat meal at the end of the 3rd day. LC days are 30g or less sometimes more if I cut the excess fat. But I generally aim for 20g
This is interesting. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to google the diet.
Gilded Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Those of us who are obese -- especially women -- can't model our fat loss approach based on what works for lean, male bodybuilders. The low bodyfat percentages in lean, male bodybuilders creates a completely different hormonal and metabolic environment than that which is typically found in an obese body.

Plus, not even all bodybuilders are able to benefit from the *standard* re-feed approach. For example, lean women bodybuilders -- particularly those who carry a high proportion of fat in their thighs but who have very lean faces and chests -- can't do re-feeds close to competition. Fat deposits in the hips, buttocks, and thighs have a higher proportion of alpha adrenoreceptors than beta adrenoreceptors. The higher concentration of alpha-2 receptors, in particular, is a problem because alpha-2 receptors downregulate fat mobilization and inhibit fatty acid release from the storage areas that they control, which means that although dieting will continue to release bodyfat from storage areas in the upper body because those areas have a higher concentration of beta receptors, the alpha-2 receptors will shut down fat release in the hips, buttocks, and thighs while breaking down muscle protein in the lower body to make up for the caloric deficit of a training diet.

High-carb re-feeds stimulate alpha-2 activity -- which is rarely a problem for lean men because the number of alpha-2 receptors is based on the body's percentage of bodyfat and male bodybuilders typically don't store enough bodyfat in their hips, buttocks, and thighs to create alpha-2 problems -- but the re-feeds can cause lean female bodybuilders to "lean out" too much in their faces and chest, making them look "skeletal," while the stimulation of the re-feed can cause them to lose muscle protein in their lower bodies through the action of their alpha-2 receptors. So bodybuilding coaches who train women have to inhibit the alpha receptors and, because alpha-2-antagonist drugs are unreliable and can also have a negative effect on the alpha-2 receptors in heart tissue, coaches will typically avoid carb re-feeds in lean women competitors when they're close to competition. They don't typically do a ketogenic level of carbs because the women will need to have glycogen in their muscles for texture and size, but they won't do the cycling trick of depleting glycogen and re-feeding in the way that works for most male competitors.

My trainer is a bodybuilding coach and he has to be careful with re-feeds in some of his male clients because some of them -- admittedly only a few -- have irregular blood sugar patterns that cause problems when they're on ketogenic cutting diets and then do high-carb re-feeds. Most of these guys have never had a weight "problem" -- they're all under 10% bodyfat when they start cutting -- but for some of them, they'll start off eating a plain baked potato or a banana and then my buddy will find them sitting outside his house at the end the day bingeing on 2 dozen Krispy Kremes with 4 Big Macs and supersize fries. Their cravings will get so irrational when they cycle between a very low level of carbs and a very high level of carbs that they become willing to throw months of hard training out of the window. Not every lean man -- even men with the discipline necessary for competitive bodybuilding -- can do re-feeds without the process creating cravings, binges, and irrational food behavior. Some people have unusually wacky hormonal responses that make carb cycling a tricky process.

I've lived with bodybuilders for, basically, my entire life because both of my brothers are competitive bodybuilders. And I've read enough about the history of modern bodybuilding to understand how and why cyclical ketogenic diets and their re-feeds are among the absolute most significant and effective breakthroughs in bodybuilding training because very lean bodybuilders absolutely have to cycle carbs to cut bodyfat, otherwise their hormones, thyroid regulation, sympathetic nervous system, and many other component factors will shut down bodyfat release when they get below a certain percentage of bodyfat.

But ample evidence suggests that cyclical approaches are not appropriate, advisable, or even necessary for every individual that wants to cut bodyfat. Especially obese dieters. Each dieter has to understand his or her individual body to determine whether they can and/or should cycle carbs. Cycling is obviously a technique that works miracles in some bodies -- including every "natural" bodybuilder for the past 40 years who has cut to 3% bodyfat. But it's also a technique that can and will cause problems in some people.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote