Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Super Bowl Party (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795824-super-bowl-party.html)

Julie1972 01-30-2013 07:33 PM

Super Bowl Party

I am hosting a Superbowl party on Sunday for about 20 people. I want to stick to the traditional Superbowl fare, but with a low carb twist. I am currently planning to serve chicken wings, veggie tray with Ranch dressing and some deviled eggs -- all low carb friendly. Any other ideas for creative and tasty Superbowl party food??? Thanks in advance!

Mistizoom 01-30-2013 07:42 PM

Not sure if these things are on your veggie tray but you can also add cheese cubes, olives, dill pickles. If you aren't opposed to processed meats can you do slices or cubes of summer sausage or salami. A lot of people like the pickle/cream cheese/ham roll-ups though I've personally never tried them. How about a bowl of pork rinds? Plain and/or flavored such as BBQ.

Casey 01-30-2013 08:23 PM

Check out the "nachos" posting on the main low carb page for nacho ideas.

limetwist 01-30-2013 08:29 PM

BLT Dip and pork rinds/veggies (celery, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli)

BLT Dip Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Britt1975 01-30-2013 08:37 PM

We love the ham/cream cheese/pickle roll ups at my office! Even the non LC eaters love them. If you google it you can find lots of pictures and ideas.

Also a shrimp tray is great, but make your own seafood sauce using reduced sugar ketchup, horseradish and a little lemon juice.

Flake 01-30-2013 08:39 PM

Unless all the people are low carb might I suggest ordering a couple pizzas for the ones that eat carbs and lots and lots of chicken wings. I am lately on a huge wing kick, two or maybe even three nights per week!

Yvonnem2000 01-30-2013 08:40 PM

Bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. Might be a pain to make in large quantities, but delicious. Halve and seed a jalapeno. Stuff with cream cheese. Wrap bacon slice around it, and bake.

Mistizoom 01-30-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limetwist (Post 16230362)
BLT Dip and pork rinds/veggies (celery, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli)

BLT Dip Recipe - Allrecipes.com

OMG, that recipe looks awesome. I love how they try to give tips to make it lower fat! If DH hadn't eaten the entire pack of microwave bacon I would make some right now!

limetwist 01-30-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16230404)
OMG, that recipe looks awesome. I love how they try to give tips to make it lower fat! If DH hadn't eaten the entire pack of microwave bacon I would make some right now!

I can attest to its awesomeness. And yes, it hurts my little (plaque-free) heart to see people talking about using fat-free mayonnaise.

I made it for our Christmas party. My brother loved it so much that he grabbed a drinking glass out of my mom's cabinet and scooped his own private hoard into it. :laugh:

evas 01-31-2013 12:34 AM

I'm going to do buffalo chicken dip with celery sticks to eat it on. Delicious!

Julie1972 01-31-2013 03:28 AM

Thanks much for all the great ideas!!

sports_mom 01-31-2013 04:46 AM

One of my faves! :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/me...-jalapenos.jpg

Grill to perfection.........:steak:

svenskamae 01-31-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 (Post 16230383)
Bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. Might be a pain to make in large quantities, but delicious. Halve and seed a jalapeno. Stuff with cream cheese. Wrap bacon slice around it, and bake.

:goodpost: The bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers were my thought. Those get snapped up when I've served food buffet-style at a party. You can also stuff poppers with sausage; my local food co-op has them ready-made (except for the final baking) at their meat/deli counter, so they can be minimal work, if you find them ready-made.

And deviled eggs, which almost everyone likes and are so easy.

My other party go-to's are guacamole with raw vegetables for dipping and a cheese platter (with flax crackers)

emel 01-31-2013 06:11 AM

-shrimp ring. try remoulade or just mustard and mayo mixed together for a good dip.
-rumaki or bacon-wrapped water chestnuts.
-smoked or slow-cooked meat--- tri tip or brisket or pork butt. serve w/horseradish mixed with sour cream and enough mayo to make it creamy. A london broil can work, too, and you can cook these the day before and serve them cold.
-fresh mozzerella, big olives, and cubed salami in an olive oil vinagrette w/basil and garlic. serve w/toothpicks.
smoked oyster spread or clam dip, served with celery sticks (you can put out crackers if you want. I usually do, for the non-LC people.)
-cheese ball

clackley 01-31-2013 08:02 AM

Great thread! I was looking for new ideas and I am 100% bringing Cristin's idea of BLT dip along with some homemade almond crackers.

yvonne326 01-31-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1972 (Post 16230260)
I am hosting a Superbowl party on Sunday for about 20 people. I want to stick to the traditional Superbowl fare, but with a low carb twist. I am currently planning to serve chicken wings, veggie tray with Ranch dressing and some deviled eggs -- all low carb friendly. Any other ideas for creative and tasty Superbowl party food??? Thanks in advance!

I am making an antipasto platter, stuffed mushrooms (crab/cheese), homemade turkey chili, I have flax seed chips from Glen Soy, making nachos using these as well, cheese, pepperoni, etc. The whole thing is to eat but not to gorge :)

creseis 01-31-2013 10:18 AM

last year my friend made low carb snacks just for me :) We had 2 kinds of meatballs, wings, and a cheese platter.

emel 01-31-2013 10:26 AM

We just settled on what we're taking to a super bowl party.

He's smoking a wild pig ham. I'm roasting some venison and a piece of wild pig loin, both bacon-wrapped. He's making queso dip for tortilla chips, I'm cutting up celery sticks to dip into it.

There will be other stuff there, too. My husband said he heard our host might do angels on horseback with country ham instead of bacon, and usually he does either buffalo burgers or some sort of sausages on the grill.

ETA.. we're not taking all of the meat to one party. We'll take a platter of it to 2 parties and will keep some for later at home.

Jaded62 01-31-2013 11:51 AM

What are angels on horseback,please.

Flake 01-31-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded62 (Post 16231612)
What are angels on horseback,please.

Oysters wrapped in bacon but i like to render the bacon with some leel and spoon over the oyter right in the halfshell and broil. They are yummy!

evas 01-31-2013 05:00 PM

Another idea: Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs (recipe HERE). It can be done without the breadcrumbs and then served with some mustard, LC Ketchup and/or mayo, Yum!

Julie1972 01-31-2013 05:11 PM

Wow!! Some amazing ideas posted! Will definitely do a few of them. Thanks again!! Can't wait til Sunday night! :-)

snowdancer79 01-31-2013 06:10 PM

How about carnita or barbacoa meat in the crockpot? Stick a beef or pork roast in on slow for 8-10 hours with broth and seasoning.

Flake 01-31-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdancer79 (Post 16232358)
How about carnita or barbacoa meat in the crockpot? Stick a beef or pork roast in on slow for 8-10 hours with broth and seasoning.

Or soft (vs crunchy) chili rellanos. With green chili

Now you're making me miss all that good new mexican food back in Colorado!!!

Sharss 02-01-2013 01:17 PM

Lots of ideas here too. Someone else posted Linda's web site somewhere else on the Forum and I went to this page. I needed ideas for snacks. However, evas link for those meatballs are a winner for me along with a few other links. :)

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Appetizer & Snack Recipes

This was helpful to many of us. :up:

Passion68 02-01-2013 04:12 PM

For the Super Bowl, I'm making:
A tkins chili
A crust-less pizza with Italian sausage, pepperoni, and cheese toppings
Artichoke dip
Parmesan baked "crackers"

Go Niners!

johnsa37 02-01-2013 04:28 PM

We're having shrimp, veggies, kielbasa in BBQ sauce, and I am going to have "walking tacos" or "tacos in a bag" with all of the taco fixings -- I will just skip the bag (and chips!)

That is kind of an odd menu... haha... but it sounds delish!

socaligirl714 02-01-2013 05:17 PM

jalapeno poppers
cream cheese with salsa.. served with pork rinds and regular chips for guests
the hubby likes those toasted onion dips you make with sour cream with pork rinds (i think its too salty)

LoriWants2Lose 02-01-2013 06:05 PM

Either make up your own meatballs or find frozen ones that are fairly low carb (a real challenge). Put a liner in crock pot (you'll thank me for this later), meatballs and pour a jar of alfredo sauce (again, watch for hidden carbs or make your own) over top. Put on low for an hour or two and then on warm. Yummy and everyone who I've ever served them to LOVES them.

marieze 02-01-2013 08:29 PM

It will just be my teenage son and myself and typically on Sunday mornings we have smoked salmon and cream cheese with capers and lemon, mine rolled up like sushi and his on a toasted onion bagel. We're early risers so we'll be eating thay waay before the Superbowl.

For the superbowl since it's just us, I am making a rack of lamb and will put out the sliced chops along with clam dip and fresh made ranch dressing for the raw vege platter I'll make. Also, a crustless lemon cheesecake.

:love: