Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   nachos? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795816-nachos.html)

DragnflysWife 01-30-2013 04:53 PM

nachos?

Before lc I rarely ate nachos. Now all I want is nachos
Cheese, meat, refried beans, green onions, olives, chips, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, the works...does any one know how I could crush this craving? It's been hugging me for two weeks. Thanks

snowmop 01-30-2013 05:04 PM

You could try leaving out the chips and beans.........

Jannybunny 01-30-2013 05:07 PM

Lots of LC people make "chips" by nuking pieces of American cheese and then putting on the normal nacho toppings

Casey 01-30-2013 05:23 PM

Use pork rinds as chips....

MsWoods 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 16230120)
Use pork rinds as chips....

Agreed. Put them on a plate like chips and put the nacho toppings on top, minus the beans. I've been eating a lot of this lately.

DragnflysWife 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

Oh I forgot about pork finds....

svenskamae 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

If you really miss the beans, consider using black soybeans (Eden brand, canned). They are the type of legume lowest in carbs.

DragnflysWife 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

Thank you!

DragnflysWife 01-30-2013 05:26 PM

What do the soy beans taste like?

MsWoods 01-30-2013 05:32 PM

I would leave the soy beans out. You are too new in your weight loss to add them IMO. They may cause cravings. Just load your nachos with all those other goodies!

picklepete 01-30-2013 06:17 PM

It's not the same thing, but I love putting nacho toppings on shredded cabbage (sometimes called angel hair).

Patkid 01-30-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16230238)
It's not the same thing, but I love putting nacho toppings on shredded cabbage (sometimes called angel hair).

I do this, as well. I layer the plate w/ the cabbage and some shredded iceburg lettuce. then just keep building. We can have so many of the good parts I don't miss the chips or beans. Plus you get to eat w/ a fork vs. fingers. I'm a fan.
YUM

piratejenny 01-30-2013 06:44 PM

Sometimes I just make a bowl of toppings (kinda like those 7-layer dips, without the beans) and eat most of it with a spoon and maybe 2-3 chips and/or a quesadilla made with a low-carb tortilla. Or fry a low-carb tortilla until it's crispy, break it up and use as chips.

DragnflysWife 01-30-2013 07:01 PM

Great advice thanks guys. I am gonna go get some pork finds and things. I got a small package at the minimart but they did not make it home.So I gotta get some more.yummy this is gonna be great.

Strawberry 01-30-2013 08:01 PM

If I'm at a party or restaurant, I just pile the legal parts on a plate and enjoy with a fork!

You could also make taco salad, basically just put all your legal toppings on a pile of shredded lettuce.

yvonne326 01-31-2013 10:47 AM

Lettuce Leaves! I went to PF Changs and they have their "mu shoo" version in lettuce leaves instead of crepe like pancakes. I now use lettuce leaves for things like "chili", Nachos, etc.

LoriWants2Lose 01-31-2013 02:15 PM

I just tried a new recipe my friend sent me that was like eating nachos without the nachos.

Hope it's okay to post the link. I did sub out the bisquick and used almond flour instead with a pinch of flax, but honestly you could also just leave it out altogether.

Instead of milk, I used HWC and I added more cheese.

Impossibly Easy Taco Pie Recipe from Betty Crocker

That Girl 02-01-2013 08:37 AM

Trader Joes sells a Tortilla Flaxseed chip that comes in spicy and plain....I don't have a bag right now to tell you the carb counts, but it might help quell that craving. You can cut up a couple of LC tortillas, spray with Pam and crisp them up in the oven...I heard those are pretty good....

sports_mom 02-02-2013 03:40 AM

I do the pork rind thing all the time when I'm craving a salty, cheesy snack. Sometimes I just throw some on a plate with cheese on top and nuke. Other times, if I have leftover ground meat or sausage, I'll use that with some sour cream and lettuce and make a nacho supreme. :)

emel 02-02-2013 05:55 AM

Taco salad. I like shredded lettuce for it.
Then pile on your toppings.
For a little crunch use the american cheese crackers (cut a slice of real american cheese into 16 squares, put on a paper plate leaving room because the spread out, microwave for a minute, cool for 30-60 sec and remove from the paper plate.)
You can use other cheeses too. I like muenster, and mozzarella cheese sticks work, cut into 8 pieces.

beachbumwannabe 02-02-2013 02:35 PM

I like to fry little piles of shredded cheddar cheese to make "chips" - my non low carb DH loves it when I make them, he always asks for some. I like to either sprinkle them with cajun seasoning for some kick or dip them in sour cream for a chips and dip experience. They might work as the base for nachos.

DragnflysWife 02-03-2013 12:10 AM

Oh man those nachos were good. I used the pork rinds and left them in the oven until some of the cheese had gotten hard. Thanks for all the tips!

kittycitygirl 02-03-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jannybunny (Post 16230091)
Lots of LC people make "chips" by nuking pieces of American cheese and then putting on the normal nacho toppings

Exactly!

Dezi 02-03-2013 11:20 AM

Yes, and you can do a pork rind based taco salad. The spicy ones. I use plain ones for croutons.

Or for 6 net carbs (mostly fiber) you can pan fry a cut up Don Pancho low carb tortilla. That will only make about 10 chips though. Those are good I use them for quesadillas. Might be a maintenance food for you though.

lazy girl 02-03-2013 03:54 PM

Friday, everyone at work signed on to bring an ingredient for making nachos. I make my chips out of shredded mozzarella and then just piled it on. They stayed crisp and tasted great and my BG stayed on target. The mozzarella, to me, makes the best chips for nachos. In fact, others were asking for a taste. They liked them.

IWILLDOIT1978 02-03-2013 04:00 PM

Broil some low carb tortillas and put butter and salt on them. Doing this tonight with beef, cheese and sour cream!! Sorry no beans for me but you can add onion on top if you wish!! :) lol!! :)

IWILLDOIT1978 02-03-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16237664)
Friday, everyone at work signed on to bring an ingredient for making nachos. I make my chips out of shredded mozzarella and then just piled it on. They stayed crisp and tasted great and my BG stayed on target. The mozzarella, to me, makes the best chips for nachos. In fact, others were asking for a taste. They liked them.

Do you just put them in the microwave until they are crisp or something?