LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
What is best to eat in the morning?

Hi guys,

I am trying to figure out what to eat in the morning that will cause me to be full and satisfied the longest while not giving me any symptoms of foggy mind and drowsiness. Maybe you guys know this one.

I find that even if I have a few strawberries or raspberries in the morning it will cause slight drowsiness/mental fog and also I will get hungry 2 hours later. And this getting hungry effect seem to last throughout the day.

What can I eat in the morning that will give me a clear mind and make me feel sharp and awake and stave off hunger? Do I need to focus on protein and exclude any hint of sugars? Any specific examples? What works for you?

Thanks guys.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Bullet Proof Coffee if you are a coffee drinker

Link to some recipes:

Butter In Coffee
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
Bullet Proof Coffee if you are a coffee drinker

Link to some recipes:

Butter In Coffee
I am definitely not a coffee drinker; hate the stuff. But thanks though.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
My most favorite breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled and cooked in butter, topped with a spoonful of sour cream; 2 slices of bacon; cup of coffee with a good amount of cream. It fills me up and gets me going every day. I never tire of this, despite having it everyday.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
It depends on what plan you are on, sort of. Some of my suggestions might not work with the foods your plan allows.

If berries aren't working for you, cut them out as a morning food.
Try protein and fat instead.

Cold leftover chicken thigh (i zap mine in the microwave for 30 sec to take the chill off)
ham and cheese rolled up
tuna salad or chicken salad, eat it with a spoon.
leftover steak.
make a crustless quiche in advance and nuke a slice. i like bacon, swiss, and spinach in mine. my husband likes sausage, red pepper, and onion and a mix of cheeses in his.

Or, eat berries along with other stuff.
eat a small portion of berries along with fat and protein. Cottage cheese and berries is a favorite of mine, but I would need some more fat with that, so I'd add bacon or sausage or cold leftover meat. maybe I'd pour some heavy whipping cream into it (I personally wouldn't like that, but it would make it more filling)

ETA forgot to mention, the new Atkins wisdom is that sufficient salt is needed to eliminate the droopy fuzzies. I'm still looking for a source on the science behind it. Maybe others can chime in, or maybe you can just play guinea pig and make sure to salt your breakfast food more heavily.

Last edited by emel; 01-30-2013 at 10:53 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #6

Here is another idea:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...reakfasts.html
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
oh it is so personal to what type of foods you really like.

2-3 scrambled eggs, melted cheese in it, along with some mushrooms or (now) wilted spinach and anything else you love in it.
bacon or sausage or leftover steak
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
This has been my go to meal for years- eggs and bacon with some vegetables like mushrooms, scallions, or parsley (sometimes all three). I stay full for about 7-9 hours and I don't feel tired or sluggish after eating it.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I eat no breakfast because, for me, breakfast is like priming the pump. I put breakfast in and then my body just wants food all day. If I don't eat breakfast, I tend to get hungry around 4 pm or so, but very often I won't eat until 7 because it's not that kind of hunger that is screaming at you and making it impossible to function, it's sort of a mellow background hunger.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clare_o
Stats: 159/131/130, 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat/Mod Protein
Start Date: September 2012
I'm a bacon and eggs gal! I also love mushrooms, cream cheese, cold sausage, chorizo for breakfast (not all at the same time...) and I couldn't make it out the door in the morning without a mug of coffee with cream

Clare
clare_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Deviled eggs. Cold ribs - I call mine Cavewoman Ribs because that's how I eat them when no one's around. Turkey, chicken, duck, or beef rolled up with Swiss, and mayo for dipping. 4% cottage cheese with cashews & raspberries.

For breakfast, I eat whatever's: a.) there & b.) good.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I eat breakfast because I wake up with high blood sugar; if I don't eat, or eat nothing but fat (coffee & cream, for example) it stays high or even gets higher. If I eat protein, it goes down into a normal range and I usually stay full for about 5 hours.

I've found that "real" meats like chicken thighs, pork chops, Italian sausage, ground or shredded beef keep me full longer than "breakfast" meats like ham or bacon, the only exception being full-fat breakfast sausage; 2 patties & 1 egg will keep me full for a long time, and I can have that combo several times a week without getting tired of it. Sometimes I'll have chicken or tuna salad, and/or cottage cheese; I don't find them quite as filling as meat, but they're quick & easy if I don't feel like cooking, and portable if I'm in a hurry.

Soup, broth, and bouillon are a palatable way to get more salt without over-salting your food. I often have leftover soup or stew for breakfast.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't eat carbs for breakfast (beyond the small amount in dairy), because it sets off a cycle of hunger throughout the day. I eat protein with plenty of fat, and I'm good for several hours.

If I don't want an omelet, or eggs and bacon or sausage, I'll have leftover meat from a previous meal, or my main go-to breakfast: a cheeseburger with a fried egg on top, and a cup of tea with HWC. That satisfies me for many hours.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I am definitely not a coffee drinker; hate the stuff. But thanks though.
I don't care for coffee, either. I have bone broth with cream every morning and am going to start adding coconut oil to it, too.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooh, I love adding cream to my broth, too! So yummy!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Ooh, I love adding cream to my broth, too! So yummy!!!
yes this is very good, and i add a little butter with it, even better
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: exiledone1
Stats: 285/240/170
WOE: Atkins (The New Diet Revolution) on Induction
Start Date: 12/2/2013
I'm curious what ideas you guys have for someone in my situation. I work two jobs and don't have time to actually cook breakfast.

I wake up at 9:45 am and have to be out the door by 10:30 am. Lately it's been microwaving frozen sausage and microwavable bacon (not very good)

I can't really wake up any earlier due to work schedule and lack of sleep already. So any ideas or thoughts for breakfast for people with limited time?

Thanks
exiledone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledone1 View Post
I'm curious what ideas you guys have for someone in my situation. I work two jobs and don't have time to actually cook breakfast.

I wake up at 9:45 am and have to be out the door by 10:30 am. Lately it's been microwaving frozen sausage and microwavable bacon (not very good)

I can't really wake up any earlier due to work schedule and lack of sleep already. So any ideas or thoughts for breakfast for people with limited time?

Thanks

Protein shake. Nothing easier than throw together a scoop of protein powder and a cup of liquid of your choosing. Especially when you can get that together ahead of time, the night before. I will have the cup of milk (almond, coconut, chocolate calorie countdown--whatever is in my fridge at the time) in the fridge and a scoop of protein powder in a tupperware on the counter ready to throw together, in the car if need be. A shaker cup is great--I have a Blender Ball shaker cup. You can find those at Walmart. Nothing simpler. Well, I suppose a protein bar is simpler just unwrap and eat! Those are great for the busy lifestyle.

ETA: Most people will tell you to get up earlier in order to cook something simple. But not me. I love my sleep!! Be prepared the night before and you are really good to go!

Last edited by dawnyama; 01-31-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:

A good breakfast can be really fast. It literally takes 3 minutes to scramble some eggs or cook them overeasy. You can pre-make bacon (I"ve heard you can do the whole batch in the oven and it's really good!) or sausage on the weekends and grab and go. It's as fast as your microwave stuff.

You can make things ahead of time and just heat them up or eat them cold. Make a batch of egg muffins (beat eggs with cheese, veggies, bacon or sausages and bake in muffin tins) or a big frittata, pre-make a smoothie the night before and just shake it up and drink it in the morning, or (on the appropriate "rung") throw some full fat yogurt in a bowl and top it with nuts. Or do the same with cottage cheese. I have a recipe for a low carb "cereal" made with chia seeds, flax, nut meal, ground nuts, protein powder, and spices. I make a big batch every few weeks and it takes 2 minutes to boil water in the microwave to mix it up for a hot, stick to your ribs breakfast that leaves me satisfied until mid-afternoon.

Or grab some dinner leftovers out of the fridge, eat them cold or hot. It doesn't have to be "breakfast food".
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I hate breakfast, so I will fill up with healthy fats. Examples:

*Fat bomb
*cup of tea (I don't like coffee either) with a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil stirred in (I like Nutiva brand)
*avocado
*1 egg cooked in butter

However, if I am not hungry at all, sometimes I just wait to eat. There is no law that says you have to eat breakfast. Eat when you get hungry.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

exile, do you sit down and eat breakfast before you leave or do you eat on the drive/commute?

Good suggestions already, & someone mentioned this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...reakfasts.html

I like tuna, chicken, or egg salad; cottage cheese; crustless quiche w/veggies & cheese.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
Start Date: January2012
I eat leftovers, unless my mom makes bacon!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I like anything really when I'm hungry...

Usually I'm not hungry when I get up, and by the time I'm hungry in the morning I am at work... So a Bulletproof Coffee in the morning sets me up till lunchtime.

Some weekends I will have whatever is in the fridge from dinner the night before or eggs and bacon.... Whatever takes my fancy really!

There are no rules to what you should eat to keep you fullest the longest. Your body will let you know that once you have found what works for you.

For me, eggs keep me full really long. Combined with bacon and some more fat, like avocado...

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
actually cook breakfast.

I drink a shake almost every morning. Chocolate or vanilla.

Chocolate:two eggs, 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk, 2-4tbs. heavy whipping cream, half glass of ice, Torani's SF chocolate syrup(a good splash), and Walden Farm's SF chocolate syrup(another good splash.) You can add whey powder but I don't and it still keeps me full.

Vanilla:1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk, splash of vanilla extract, splash of Torani's SF vanilla syrup, about five drops of liquid stevia(depends on how sweet you want it)2-4tbsp. HWC, two eggs, and ice.

I have started adding in 1/2tbsp. of chia seeds to this for the health benefits. Not sure if I'm going to be able to handle them though. Still experimenting. I hate to eat breakfast so these shakes are perfect and keep me going for hours.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustMe2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledone1 View Post

Thanks
If you are able to heat up something and eat it when you get to work, this is what I do. On Sunday, I make a batch of scrambled eggs (10 eggs, sour cream and salsa) and divide them into 5 small containers. I cook up a pound of sausage and divide that evenly over the eggs, these sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top. I stack these up in my fridge and grab one each morning on my way out the door. Pop it in the microwave at work and have a yummy b'fast bowl.

Some days I am not in the mood for eggs so also on Sunday, I soften 8oz cream cheese in a bowl, mix in 1/2 natural peanut butter and 2 TBS Splenda. Divide that up into four 1/4 cup containers.
Re-Start date: 01/08/2013

I have lost 120lbs on LCHF in the past. Why did I stop and gain it back plus some..
JustMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Most days, I have 2 fried duck eggs and 4 rashers of grilled bacon - and sometimes some fried mushrooms too - for breakfast, but if I'm on the move, I'll hard boil the eggs the night before, cook some bacon bits until crispy, then make a BLT salad with lettuce and tomatoes and a squirt of Heinz Caesar dressing. That sits in the fridge overnight, then I take the eggs with me and peel when I need them, and add to the salad.

Had this last Tuesday, and wasn't hungry again until after 3 pm.
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
My DH is a 'grab and go' kind of guy - he wakes up just in time to get ready and get to work on time. So on the weekend we make "breakfast on the run muffins" and sausage.

I patty out and fry two packs of sausage, scramble 6 eggs with a 1/2 cup of cream. I crumble some of the sausage in the bottom of 12 muffin cups, pour in egg and cream mix until the cup is about 2/3 full and then top it with a quarter of a slice of american cheese. Bake that in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350.

I put two muffins and one piece of sausage each in 6 baggies. Each morning he grabs a baggie - throws it in the microwave for 30 seconds and then eats his breakfast as he drives to work.

I can't tolerate microwaved eggs - but he loves them and they are quick and easy to make ahead of time - and to eat each morning.
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Katcando7
Stats: 221.6.5/216/130
WOE: High Protein/Low Car
Start Date: 1/31/2013
Hi, for breakfast this first week I have been eating:

Western omelet = 2 eggs, red peppers, green peppers, onions, cheese (sautee the peppers, onions in butter first), hot tea

Egg salad - boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, hot tea

2 Deli turkey meats wrapped around cheese, hot tea
Katcando7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have been testing with morning food since making my OP and I have found that I absolutely cannot have fructose or sucrose in the mornings at all or I will feel tired and hungry all day long. I can have lactose (milk) and it won't affect me though.

I just ordered a 5 lb bag of almond flour and an almond flour cookbook, and I have plenty of eggs, so I'm gonna be trying some low-carb breakfast options (because I will tire of the eggs and cheese routine after 2-3 days of it in a row).

But because of you guys, this site, and other LC sites, I've learned how to do all kinds of delicious and healthy things with eggs that I never thought about before! This is a huge leap forward for me; I come from a family that doesn't know what to do with eggs beyond scrambled and that makes a lot of homemade breads and sugary treats. :P

Bring on the eggs, bring on the LC almond-flour no-sugar pancakes, bring on the cheese (gosh I love cheese so much), bring on the LC meatballs (I just made a good recipe that is LC and omg it tastes so good), bring on the super-healthy salads infused with kale and dressing made with healthy fats, bring on the nuts (oh cashews, walnuts, and pecans, how I do love thee), bring on the LC morning muffins, AND....when I learn how to make them, I'll be trying out the LC dessert items as well.

Thanks again guys! I feel so much better all day doing LC; I never thought I'd feel this good again. Clear mind. More even energy levels. No bloating. Very little gas.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I am not a breakfast eater, but if I wake up hungry (and coffee with heavy cream doesn't dull it) I go for protein/fat combo. Egg salad, chicken salad, a little cheese with summer sausage, jalapeno poppers(lol really good to wake you up in the morning!) things like that.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote