Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: whitehorse
Stats: 130/123/110
WOE: Low carb (fine tuning)
Ocassional low-carber ready to go full time & training for a marathon. Tips please :)

Hi Everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum as I really need some tips & feedback on a long term WOE low carb for me. I have previously done Atkins induction and have had instant weight loss (that stays off for a long while) but I find it hard to incorporate Atkins too much into my lifestyle as a WOE.

I started walking/running last year feb and have enjoyed it so much, I plan to prep my self & run a marathon next year. So during the peak of my run training I was more on carbs... more fibre rich foods and stuff but well, Running out of energy about 40 mins during a workout does not help much & I started reading about running on low carb.

My low carb experience so far:
. An atkins induction sort of low carb when I am in the 'gotta loose some pounds now!' mode.
. Then overall I avoid white rice & white bread. Avoid sugar mostly but well not too well controlled. Avoid all starchy stuff too.
. Avoid fruits too, but I kind of miss that.
. Find it very difficult to meet my daily required meat & fat intake. This is what puts me off completely. I find it really tiresome planning every aspect of what I am eating and how much and that makes me give up despite the weight loss.
. ocassional carb days when I eat stuff I like and go all out. Sausages, KFC & Pizza once a month or so.

I know that I am going to have to start from scratch and train my body to run using a low carb diet from the beginning. So thats what I am doing now. A new training regime which starts in feb for about 5-6 months. Since I just recently moved to barefoot running I am having to start from scratch anyway. So this would be like two birds with one stone

I would like to get more feedback from LC friends who include fruits, dairy, veggies, meat, fat into their diet. (and even do longer than 1 hr workouts too?)

I am considering the paleo diet for athletes & atkins combo... but not sure how exactly to go about it.

Last edited by whitehorse; 01-29-2013 at 10:07 PM..
whitehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
I'll be training for a 100-mile bike ride soon. I'll do many 1 - 5 hour rides. I don't eat any more carbs than normally (that is, < 20 grams). I mostly eat nuts on a ride. I might have a bite or two of a high-carb power bar now and then.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
There are several posts about the beginning of ketoadapting your body while training on these boards.

Basically you will find that for the first 4-6 weeks you may not be able to workout quite as long/hard as you have been, but after that you should get back to your key levels and then you just need to experiment with fuel. I am not running near the levels that I did 6-8 years ago, but I am older and heavier. I did notice about week 5 or 6 running low carb became much easier and I am finding that my times and distances are improving now that my body has "adapted".

I do not run for long periods of time right now, so I cannot help you with that. However, I do plan on starting training for a 1/2 in a month or so, and I am interested in the information you get.

Good luck.

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Welcome to LCF with your first post

I've done 4 marathons and 5 Portland to the Coasts on a relay team of 5 so we all do about 25 miles of the 129. Lots of fun. I've upped carbs and done the carb loading the day before and only have a bagel that I pick at before the marathon. I'm one who doesn't like to eat before and can't eat a good hour after I finish. My first marathon, I hit the wall about 1/2 mile from the finish. In fact, I told the guy next to me that I couldn't finish and he yelled at me that "You're going to finish this and he talked me through that last 1/2 miles".
1). Enjoy being a Grandmother
2). 40+ days minimum downhill skiing every seaso
3). more marathons (26.2 miles)
4). sitting on the deck overlooking a creek and meadow at our ski condo.
5). GO UCLA - BEAT USC
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote