Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Atkins and woozey

for some reason my energy is going. every otehr day or so I am dropping fast. can't keep my eyes open kinda feeling. shaky inside.

I eat. I eat good. but every now and then I head more toward lean and don't get enough fat to hit my higher level.
Would this be doing it?

I am 'dare I say' kinda getting fatted out here. Bacon has no draw like it did but I eat some still. The big steak with butter is getting hard to stomach.
I kinda want veg and lean meat LOL, but I guess I am not eating enough.

anyone get weird feelings over about 3 months on plan? did you fix them?

I don't know. I just kinda thought any weird would be over and doing very well and wham, I got that icky shaky feeling and super tired alot more.

thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Are you getting enough salt?

When you feel like that drink some bullion or maybe eat something small you can liberally dash with salt.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Are you getting enough salt?

When you feel like that drink some bullion or maybe eat something small you can liberally dash with salt.
I agree. I can eat nothing all day if I am not hungry and feel fine as long as I have enough salt (love homemade broth). You might want to take a mineral supplement as well.

I was never big on eating lots of fatty things. I hate the visible fat on steak and pork and floppy bacon can make me gag. I don't think you need a ton of fat to feel good. I will take a roasted chicken with a big salad with evoo over steak with butter any day.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 01-29-2013 at 03:22 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

oh no salt is not a problem definitely I am a salt maniac. I salt everything and then salt it again

I take a multi from my Dr.'s office and take extra D3 and take CQ10.
B complex also.

it has me wondering if something else might be going wrong with atkins that I just don't know about??? or someone might???
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

What do you mean by something wrong with Atkins?

Do you take magnesium? I need that for my legs to function normally when I am in ketosis or else I am just all wobbly. Also, have you had your blood pressure checked recently? Mine is really low and I need a ton of salt and water to feel good.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Probably not Atkins/LC or we'd be flooded with posts like this. I am sure I have seen this type of thing posted a few times though.

Perhaps another supplement? Magnesium?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

We are echo boxes nolcjunk lol
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
What do you mean by something wrong with Atkins?

Do you take magnesium? I need that for my legs to function normally when I am in ketosis or else I am just all wobbly. Also, have you had your blood pressure checked recently? Mine is really low and I need a ton of salt and water to feel good.
You are on to something there I think. Could be blood sugar too.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
We are echo boxes nolcjunk lol
haha but it's so true. Every problem I've ever had on this diet has been solved with more salt and magnesium. And, so easy to fix too.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

magnesium. I have no idea about it but for sure I am off to research on the net asap.

I mean by something with atkins, like some get a deficiency following atkins where someone else won't? Or atkins triggers XX in some and they need to do X to fix it. jsut grabbing at straws here lol

my last blood pressure was 110/60 about year ago. maybe I am low?? might run by the drs. office, pop in and they do it real fast.

thanks guys. gives me something to check on.

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-29-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Do you get leg cramps and feel really weak (esp in your legs) when walking up stairs? Magnesium helps with this.

Your blood pressure was already towards the low side so it might be really low now. Do you see spots when you get up too quickly? Do you feel better after a cup of coffee? Do you take any medication that can lower blood pressure as a side effect?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

the average healthy adult needs between 270 and 400 mg of magnesium per day, depending on their weight, it's useful to take a deeper look at all the factors involved.

---------ran off and saw this. my multi says 50 mg. kinda short on those mgs right? I do eat tons of broccoli, spring mix, lettuce all that.

you know I got an 'almost stupid food cramp' in the truck driving home a while ago.
no others.

no on weak walking up stairs.

hate coffee.

do get some restless legs at night. like they are walking or ants crawling on them.
(but I am heading into mena with hot flashes etc. so I thought that was it)

no spots but I have to say my eyes are seeing kinda wonky. can't explain it lol

take no meds at all.

should I go see my Dr. for any reason? she is a LC fan so she might have some info or something?

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-29-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

You might just want a general panel to see if anything is off and all the basic checks. So many changes happen in the body during weight loss, you might be low on something like b-12 or iron (crazy, but even meat eaters can be low).

I take about 500-1000mg magnesium a day. Helps me sleep and helps prevent any cramps. The RDA is basically the minimum dose to not be deficient, but the therapeutic doses tend to be higher.

Do you drink alcohol? It raises blood pressure and sometimes it really helps me feel better when I am down in the half dead zone of blood pressure. Do you feel a lot less fatigue if you drink?>

Do you eat fish? One interesting thing I read in the newest atkins book was about how weight loss can make a person's body deficient in essential fatty acids.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 01-29-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

wow your magnesium sup is way higher than my little 50 mg in that stupid multi.

beer every 6 weeks or so if I feel like. 3-4 lite haven't had any in a while so I don't think it comes into play

no fish other than tuna and ate a can that today for lunch with mayo.

I had a vitamin panel last year. nothing dramatic. few things she recommended I up. nothing so low it showed any signals or anything.

You're good at this nolcjunk. You a nurse or medical professional? sounds like you are into this alot. wish I had more knowledge on this stuff.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Nope, just grew up in a health conscious family so I was always interested in nutrition and supplements.

I hope you get some answers from your doc. It can be frustrating to feel off. Also, another thing, even if something isn't low, doesn't mean that it's not low for your body. Those ranges are just ranges established by the lab, not the definitive values for what is right for you. And, a lot of these ranges get adjusted over time, like the TSH one.

How do you feel about salmon? Walnuts? You can get some efas that way.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 01-29-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

walnuts good.
salmon no

love shrimp, crab, scallops etc. but the general fish population is not thrilling.
did love fried flounder way back but don't like broiled.

guess what? I thought a while ago I bought magnesium but wasn't sure. never took it. I found the bottle in with hubbys vitamins. I guess I threw it there. It is 250 mg. I took one. good thing it is good til 1/14.

I went and ate a pork chop. woofed it down. I am starting to feel better definitely.

jumped on the scale and man I am up, but I am also drinking alot of water.

I really appreciate your help. just a bit of time and it seems I am coming around now. I have to say feeling that way is horrible. Never got induction flu but now I know what people might have been feeling like. It isn't pleasant.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you're feeling better. Minerals can work amazingly fast and fatigue is also associated with a mag deficiency so maybe that's all you were missing?
Just don't take too much at first- it can cause diarrhea.

I agree and I think some people are put off Atkins because of the Induction phase flu, which is a shame.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 01-29-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

oh I am glad I took only 1 then. I almost popped 2 to make 500 mg and thought I better start slow.

will be interesting to see in a while how I feel. if it is mag then maybe I should feel alot better in a bit more time. I sure hope so

I see your join date was 2009. Is that when you started atkins?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I started before then but they were half hearted attempts that didn't really net any big losses and then I finally got pretty strict by the book (I think this was all in 2008). I gained weight when I became hypothyroid and then started following all this diet advice that I never did before- like eat breakfast, eat many small meals, etc. Then I realized that was dumb, I should just go back to how I had always eaten, but more lc. So I started doing a whole foods Atkins and got to goal and have been in maintenance now for several years (4? It's funny when you get bigger the time you spent that size seems like forever, but once you lose it you don't think about the time that's passed as much).
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

wow so you had all the dieting gambit like so many others but found when you worked with yourself and filled your needs you did well. good advice there. follow your gut instincts.

you said 'whole foods' atkins. is that a bit different or something? I know whole foods are recommended but are you doing something a bit different? Like I head toward alot of protein and fat so I am right now trying to back that off a little.

I would love to see how you eat. do you have any threads showing your menus.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Whole foods meaning just how I had eaten growing up and before I gained weight. Very few processed foods, meat/vegetables/eggs/butter/evoo/ some dairy, etc. I don't use artificial sweeteners, I only rarely drink diet soda, no special lc or atkins products, no recipes that wind up being calorie bombs. In maintenance, I do eat higher carb meals and prefer eating a piece of real homemade cake with sugar or having a few slices of really good pizza than making substitutes on a regular basis.

I eat very simply and it suits me, I don't get bored easily. I try to make most of my meals functional- meaning they taste good but I am eating them to get fuel for my body and not as entertainment. Usually on the weekends I eat out at restaurants or make fancier dishes at home that are more about the taste.

On a regular weekday I usually eat bacon/eggs/with some kind of vegetable for my first meal and then for dinner I love rotisserie chicken that I make myself (on a Ronco, I think it's one of the only infomercial products that actually works) and a giant salad with all sorts of greens/colorful veg and evoo/fresh lemon as dressing and some feta. I drink tons of water, herbal teas, and one to two coffees a day. I also sip lots of homemade broth to get my sodium in. On the weekend, I make things like soups and different kinds of stews and just generally stuff that is higher in calories and takes more time to prepare. I eat around 1200 calories on a regular weekday, closer to 1400 on the weekends. I still keep my carbs pretty low because I am already eating all the foods that I love, except in the summer when I have fruit or on days when I eat higher carb like having potatoes with steak, a beet salad, and a piece of chocolate cheesecake.

It works for me because I don't have to think about food much and don't need to bring food with me or figure out lunch options since I eat only twice and I always eat before I leave the house.

I don't aim for any ratios or anything. I basically eat enough protein and tons of vegetables and then round out my menu with fat, and keep in mind the calories.

I also like this paleo principle that says sure you can make a pizza out of paleo ingredients that are ok on your plan, but should you? because that goes against the spirit of the rules.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 01-29-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Just don't take too much at first- it can cause diarrhea.
If we had sound emoticons that warning would come with a civil defense siren heh.

Even a low dose increase can do that to you. But your body will adjust if you take it slowly.

I take 800mg every day. The ones I have are 3 pills for 400mg so I take 6 pills a day. The cool thing about that is I can stagger my dosage out over the course of the day. And when I upped my dosage I was able to increase by 1 pill at a time over about a week.

Magnesium relaxes you so lots of people take it before bedtime.

Jimmy Moore has a great podcast about it with Dr. Robbins. Google 'jimmy moore magnesium robbins'.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

great post.

I sure wished I was in maintenance right now. I know I would be a good maintenance person. Your post helped me alot because it gives me insight into how you maintainers are eating. I like being armed with info way before I need to use it.

I think since newer on plan I am trying to fidget around too much and come up with extreme weight dropping meals or something. When I stuck to basics I dropped fast, felt good and all was going good. today I changed up menu, didn't eat alot, and got screwed big time for it I believe. I didn't change enough tho to think I would flounder the way I did.

I think I should do as you (with weight loss mode in mind of course) and just stick with whole foods. basic easy meals and load them with color.

thanks so much for taking the time to help a newbie like me. with help like this it means I could easily succeed very long term with this plan.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

thanks reddarin.
that is good info!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

That's a good observation and it;;s good that you have had this realization early on. I don't think hopping around between ideas and whatever the latest "fad" on the board is at the time is a good idea, plain old Atkins works for the majority.

You've already done a great job losing, so you know what you need to do. What helped me in weight loss was to be like a robot around food- plan what I would eat and stick to that, everything else was forbidden and I would view it as non-food that day. If I planned eggs/bacon and then grilled wild salmon and asparagus for dinner then that is what I allowed myself to eat and nothing else. Sometimes you just have to get through the days and weeks and plain, simple menus are great because you don't have to think about food all day long. I think too much thinking about food and looking for recipes can backfire because it literally makes you hungry and those tasty dairy filled meals are so easy to overeat.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Just want to add to what everyone else has said by telling you that the same thing happened to me about 3 months in. (I had a tough induction though so I was familiar with the feeling.) I did a bunch of stuff before finally upping my magnesium to 500mg and adding a little bit of salt to my drinking water all day. It seemed to do the trick.

I also started taking some extra fiber. Magnesium will make you "go" but I still needed a little help to ensure that I was absorbing these minerals. Don't know if that's a problem for you.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

yes I had my meal actually logged into my meal planner and didn't eat it like I planned and the day fell apart right before my eyes. I even knew the minute I had to erase my breakfast menu and I changed up my lunch menu---in my gut I knew this was wrong. I knew if I deviated too far it was going to backfire. AND IT DID!

I learned big here. It was good to see it in writing from you also. It confirms my gut feeling and I should have listened.

stray/going rogue on what food will be eaten is bad. control/plan is good.

in all this time I never cheated. but today I ended up eating potatoe chips and a reese's peanut butter cup because I felt so down in the dumps about today it took me to a very low level. And I am surprised that happend. I darn near was crying and hanging on to hubby cause I felt like I lost it. Like I lost the plan and all the hard work I put into it. Of course he thinks I am nutso cause I don't act that way, but it got to me.

I am ok now. No regrets. what is past is past. but told hubby my meal plan is set for tomorrow like my first time on plan and I am not swaying ONE BITE from it. So I feel the control resuming. whew.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
Just want to add to what everyone else has said by telling you that the same thing happened to me about 3 months in. (I had a tough induction though so I was familiar with the feeling.) I did a bunch of stuff before finally upping my magnesium to 500mg and adding a little bit of salt to my drinking water all day. It seemed to do the trick.

I also started taking some extra fiber. Magnesium will make you "go" but I still needed a little help to ensure that I was absorbing these minerals. Don't know if that's a problem for you.
oh that is good to hear. someone else at about the 3 month mark that hit this weird feeling. good to hear but I feel for ya lol cause it was rough.

mag. is now on my list for sure! thanks for jumping in and telling me this. commrades in misery yet it makes me feel good seeing someone else having this and fixing it!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Yeah, it's all good now.

Plus, it turns out that magnesium is kind of a miracle mineral. You'll get a lot of other benefits from it.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

ew I like that! more good benefits I can get in my life the better!