WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
update

I am ok.

REBOOT time.

meals planned

getting back in gear

feel good this morning and won't screw it up

THANK YOU everyone. Your support was amazing!! I appreciate it.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Good for you. I look forward to reading about your next 25 pounds lost.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
LOL thank you nolcjunk. it will hopefully be right on track!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I was feeling a little weak also. Nothing terrible, but I was expecting an energy increase so it was disappointing. Then I came accross Dr. Terry Wahls amazing story about her recvoery from MS using a paleo diet wiht an emphasis on green leafy vegetables like Kale, spinach, collards etc.....I added extra green leafy veggies to my diet and within a week or so I started feeling stronger, healthier and more energetic.
Green leafy vegetables are excellent sources of magnesium so that may be part of the reason. But they are a powerhouse of all kinds of essential nutrients. The net carb gain from most leafy greens is very low, so it shouldn't throw you out of ketosis.

Last edited by avid; 01-30-2013 at 07:07 AM..
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

thanks avid.

so you had it too. the energy drain when it kicks in is astounding. more than tired, way over that lol

I can easily wilt spinach into my omlettes. I like that. thanks! will do.
good info for me!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Great!
I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for you.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anglgrl
Stats: 231/135/130
WOE: HF/LC Paleo
Start Date: Mid Sept. 2011
I could never get enough sodium just by salting my food. Volek and Phinney (the authors of NANY) recommend 5g of sodium if you're lowcarbing. That's about 2 teaspoons of salt. That's a lot of salt. I have to just swallow it by the 1/2 t with some water after each meal (like it's a pill) to get that much. And I feel so much better when I get it.
anglgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglgrl View Post
I could never get enough sodium just by salting my food. Volek and Phinney (the authors of NANY) recommend 5g of sodium if you're lowcarbing. That's about 2 teaspoons of salt. That's a lot of salt. I have to just swallow it by the 1/2 t with some water after each meal (like it's a pill) to get that much. And I feel so much better when I get it.
So true!

I found the sodium content of table salt and measured out 5 grams worth of sodium into a small dish. Wow! It is a lot of salt.

If you do that you can keep an eye on how much salt you've had so you get your minimum in. There is salt in your food so you can measure out whatever you feel is appropriate to make up the balance.

I think that was Shelley on our NK thread that suggested putting it in a dish at the beginning of the day for convenience and a way to make sure of eating x amount.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Good luck with your journey!

I've been low carbing for over 10 years, and every once in a while I'll start feeling woozy. I make chicken broth (cooked with lots of bones then strained) as often as possible, and I drink a cup of that with extra sea salt. It helps a lot.

I also think simple low carbing (KISS, or keep it simple, silly) is often the best. For me, the older form of Atkins induction is what works well to keep things simple. Namely, each day eat:

2 or 3 reasonable servings of protein. (For most folks, a reasonable serving is 4 to 6 ounces or 2-3 eggs.) This keeps your protein levels at a moderate amount, not a high amount.

2 or 3 cups of colorful, non-starchy veggies. (Servings of salad greens such as arugula, lettuce, raw spinach can be larger, since they have so few net carbs.)

No more than 2 or 3 T of heavy cream and 2 or 3 ounces of hard cheese.

Reasonable additions of healthy fats (butter, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil) to each meal, but don't go crazy.

A few olives or an avocado are fine. No nuts at first. No snacking, if possible. Coffee and tea are fine. Herbs and spices are fine. Vinegar and a little lemon juice are fine. Otherwise, skip it--nuts, nut flours, fancy low carb baked goods should all wait.

Supplements: the old Atkins used to advise a vitamin B complex, and I think that really helped me in the early years. Cod liver oil or fish oils are helpful. I've taken magnesium and vitamin D for years, like many other low carbers.

Plain old induction may be out of style, but it usually works and it's easy to remember.

Last edited by tiva; 01-30-2013 at 10:03 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #40
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
I read this thread last week and I was feeling the same way as the OP... so very tired , legs were weak especially going up stairs, etc. I went out and bought some magnesium and I swear I feel LOADS better in 2 days! when i look at the dietary sources for magnesium (grains and beans primarily) i can imagine that I must have been deficient.

it seems to be a miracle mineral for so many and yet I've never really heard much about it until now.

thanks OP for starting this thread! hope you're feeling well
Tammy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

cool tammy I am so glad you feel better.

yea I got wonky. I also ran out and got magnesium. I do feel better.

and I traded my regular old salt for sea salt with iodine. they say it has more minerals??? but between the 2 I do feel better.

it is a miserable feeling isn't it? like you can't function. I sure can't go thru life like that lol

I love that someone has a question or problem or whatever and you read and say, wow that is me. and then you find a fix. this forum is great for good info!!