Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Atkins and fruit.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795675-atkins-fruit.html)

Trigger828 01-29-2013 04:07 AM

Atkins and fruit....

who has incorporated fruit back in?

doing it all correctly. time to up the carb count a bit. gotta climb the carb ladder some time :)

So shooting for 35-40 carbs now and fruit is easiest to add back in for me as an option cause I miss it alot.

sticking with phase list fruits.

but wondering when you added fruit back into the carb count did it slow you down or was everything going normal because you made sure you didn't over do it and stayed within reason on fruits?

just curious. have been on 25-30 carbs for a while now and adding fruit back in will be interesting. one thing tho I sure don't want to stall so asking how fruit treated you on atkins when you put it back into your plan.

thanks

princessmommy 01-29-2013 04:22 AM

I haven't eatten any lately, mainly because the fruit I Would eat is out of season around here. Like Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc.. I will probably start eatting some when they are in season. The taste is Way better to me then instead of it being picked unripe and shipped.

Trigger828 01-29-2013 04:42 AM

yea I agree. fresh is best on those items.

I am going a bit rogue and adding in apple. :) 1/2 cup cubed fresh is 7.2 net carbs.
and I am going to add in more tomatoes (fruit? veggie? lol everyone calls it want they want) but love maters and 2 cups cherry tomatoes is 8 NC)

so since I have't had this in a bit it is going to be interesting to see how it effects me.

15 carbs will put me into the 35-40 range. time to see if it is a good place for me to be.

lolaviex 01-29-2013 05:11 AM

I am able to eat half a banana daily in a protein shake and I still lose. Also, a small apple with some almond butter is a favorite snack. I try not to treat fruit like the enemy, I didn't get fat from eating too many apples. I know that berries are usually recommended but they seem to trigger cravings for me!

snowmop 01-29-2013 05:21 AM

I would love to have some fruit, but I'm one of those who just can't eat it. The cravings come roaring back, and I overeat it until it's gone.

Leo41 01-29-2013 05:29 AM

I'm like snowmop--I cannot eat fruit without cravings and an insatiable appetite.

But I happen to be extremely carb sensitive, and whether or not an individual can eat fruit depends entirely on that person's unique physiology.

avid 01-29-2013 06:29 AM

Some fruits that I love are just plain off limits.
Melons are an example. I love cantalope and honeydew but they will set off a carb binge and drive me off plan so I stay away.
Berries on the other hand are delicious and I can have a few without triggering nasty cravings. I love berries in sour cream sweetened with some sf torani vanilla.

Trigger828 01-29-2013 07:23 AM

lola ----I so agree. I was so scared of fruit and then I realized it has to be incorporated back. just got to work it right. atkins is not about eating any fruit. it is about being smart which ones I do eat.

Trigger828 01-29-2013 07:26 AM

ok I read that the best way to eat fruit is with protein.

so my 'early' lunch I just ate was tuna, mayo, bit of cheese, and 1/2 cup grapes.

I have to say the protein dampened down the grapes. while sweet and delish, they are not triggering me SO FAR! info on the net said don't eat it alone cause it gives the body a direct hit, while with protein combined it does XXX (heck I can't remember the science behind it lol)

but it sounded good :)

so I am going to pair up fruit with protein only and never alone.

I will try a few days of some small fruit and see how it hits me. Sweets never made me go nuts....breads and french fries and such were a carb nightmare for me. So maybe I might get lucky here.

shelby'snana 01-29-2013 07:49 AM

I watch my carbs too , but I eat some grapes most days - just a handful - and some days I have cantelope. In the summer , I would have a little watermelon too.....but I can eat bowls and bowls of it, so I had to be VERY careful :)

Enjoy !

Kateee 01-29-2013 08:01 AM

No cravings here after eating fruit. I don't count carbs anymore. I stay with the foods that I've lost weight with. Watch my scale, daily food log, and watch what foods causes weight gain.

I've been having the following for my snacks.

I've recently added a banana with peanut butter. Three times a week.

I eat a small apple every other day.

I use a 1/2 to 3/4 cup various berries, blended w/almond milk, stevia to sweeten, twice a week.
Or I'll just have a 1/2 frozen berries straight from the freezer to munch on.

I've added 1 cup of beans a day. I'm still losing.

I also don't eat after 6pm.....and before getting in bed, I'll have a small amount of peanut butter.

I am amazed that I'm still losing, as I love fruit.

Trigger828 01-29-2013 08:11 AM

watermelon is key for me also. I will have to watch that intensely because I could eat bowls of it also!!! YUMMO

Trigger828 01-29-2013 08:13 AM

Kateee
thanks for that post. that had a ton of great info in it for me.

berries frozen straight out of the fridge. I know I would love that! I will definitely incorporate it.

banana and pb 3 times a week and losing. very good!! banana is one of the heavy hitters on that carb count. if you are doing this well I think I might be ok.

I don't care if I slow ''just a bit'' in weight loss but I need to keep going cause I got 30 mroe to lose. I see you are close to goal! THAT IS GREAT!

stardustshadow 01-29-2013 04:17 PM

I used to be able to eat strawberries and such and still lose, but no longer. To lose the last handful of pounds I have had to be super, super strict...:( I am going to have some when they are in season in the summer though! Maybe the last pounds will be gone by then!

Biochic 01-29-2013 05:05 PM

Berries for me too! Safe AND tasty:)

Trigger828 01-29-2013 05:19 PM

safe and tasty lol. like that!

yea after all this work put into this, safe is a smart way to play it

Dolores Claiborne 01-30-2013 12:13 AM

Frozen berries are great to have around the place.
I make a sweet omelette that's really satisfying. Whisk up 2 eggs with a fork, teaspoon of vanilla, sweetener of choice. Pour into a small frying pan and then scatter about 10 frozen berries onto the mixture and cook on a low heat for about 6mins. Turn and give it another 6 mins.
Serve with cream if desired.
:yummy:

Trigger828 01-30-2013 03:01 AM

I just bought a giant bag of strawberry, black and rasp. frozen mix. Great variation on an omlette. definitely trying that!

shelby'snana 01-30-2013 07:06 AM

sounds yummy. I will try that one too :) Thanks !

Trigger828 01-30-2013 07:19 AM

I think that is a good pairing with the protein.

I am not carb jumping fruit anymore. what is in phase 1 and 2 is it for me right now.

experimenting sometimes can get ya into trouble.

canadiangirl 01-30-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolores Claiborne (Post 16228238)
Frozen berries are great to have around the place.
I make a sweet omelette that's really satisfying. Whisk up 2 eggs with a fork, teaspoon of vanilla, sweetener of choice. Pour into a small frying pan and then scatter about 10 frozen berries onto the mixture and cook on a low heat for about 6mins. Turn and give it another 6 mins.
Serve with cream if desired.
:yummy:

I do the same thing but make them very thin ( like crepes), add warmed berries, roll up and add a blot of hwc whipped....so yummy.

I do eat fruit but actually never stopped. I dont follow atkins just my own l/c thing and I lost the most weight when cherries were in season ( I ate them by the bowl)!!!!

LoriAS 01-30-2013 08:06 AM

Just wanted to quickly add that grapes frozen are a nice treat also.

Passion68 01-30-2013 01:36 PM

Fresh strawberries-about 8 medium each serving. Topped with whipped cream or cool whip. Delish!!

Trigger828 01-30-2013 01:37 PM

there isn't a thing in the world more delish than strawberries...well maybe a big old steak LOL