Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChiCityGuy
caesar dressing

Ok, I've done my research and seem to find a little bit of conflicting information. I eat a Caesar salad from a different restaurant each day at work. It looks like there is about 1 carb per tablespoon, but I swear it tastes sweeter than that. (I'm comparing it mentally to Blue cheese dressing which has similar carbs). Also, how much dressing do you think is used on an average salad? Any insight or guesses appreciated, and i do realize that it will vary from restaurant to restaurant. Is there a dressing I should switch to that might be more consistent? Thanks!
ChiCityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I'm wary of all commercial dressings. Carbs aside, soybean oil is frequently linked to weight gain and other health problems. My first choice is olive oil and vinegar (and I do have to double check that it's olive and not just "oil and vinegar"). Second choice would be blue cheese and pray it contains more buttermilk and less oil.

For all of these reasons, I'd take careful control of the quantity. 1 tbsp for a side salad, 2 tbsp for an entree. If you toss it enough you can flavor every bite with a surprisingly small amount. Carbs are actually the least of my concerns.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It 'looks' like 1 carb per T? I doubt that you can tell how many carbs by the 'look' of the dressing. You might ask the restaurant if they have that information, but you'd also need to know how much they use in the salad.

I usually avoid all commercial salad dressings, but if I order a Caesar salad in a restaurant, I always ask for the dressing on the side so that I can control how much I use.

But I typically don't order salads in restaurants because I am very sensitive to MSG, and many restaurants sprinkle it on their greens to keep them looking fresh--and I also can't trust the dressings either.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
You could just ask the restaurants for their nutritional information for the whole salad or for the dressing... I believe they have to have that info available by law now, unless they are a very tiny "mom and pop" type single restaurant. And even if they are "mom and pop" unless they are making it from scratch, they can easily take a gander at their jug of dressing.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glidergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
But I typically don't order salads in restaurants because I am very sensitive to MSG, and many restaurants sprinkle it on their greens to keep them looking fresh--and I also can't trust the dressings either.
Wow! I had no idea that MSG was used on greens! I have fibromyalgia, and MSG is one of my triggers. This is really good to know!
glidergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Recipes are all over - some might add sugar, some don't. Hopefully, the restaurant will tell you, but you have 3 main options:

You can bring your own dressing and know the carbs
You can put it on the side and use it sparingly and build in a couple of carbs, just in case
You can have it on the top and build in a few more carbs
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
...But I typically don't order salads in restaurants because I am very sensitive to MSG, and many restaurants sprinkle it on their greens to keep them looking fresh--and I also can't trust the dressings either.
Ditto. MSG gives me hives.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I'd just ask your serve to check for you. Make your decision from there. Either on the side or switch to blue cheese or ranch. I've always thought Caesar was a pretty safe bet though.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote