Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Found my trigger food (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795635-found-my-trigger-food.html)

jijane21 01-28-2013 02:10 PM

Found my trigger food

After all this time on and off of LC, I finally figured out the two main culprits of my failures, potatoes and alcohol. I love potatoes. Baked, fried, mashed, au gratin, hash browns, chips, you name it, I love it! It is the one food that I will continue to eat even when my head says stop.

Then there is alcohol, which I cannot drink in moderation.

My new goal right now is to get those 2 things out of my life and then the diet should greatly improve!

Dottie 01-28-2013 02:50 PM

Good luck - you can do it!

SadieJack 01-28-2013 03:08 PM

I totally get it. I love potatoes and alcohol (french fries and beer). Good luck!

jijane21 01-28-2013 03:32 PM

Thanks! I don't have issues with other carbs, just potatoes and alcohol, otherwise I can say no and resist all day.

cfine 01-28-2013 08:30 PM

I can never eat just one potato chip. I end up stuffing as many into my mouth as I can get :)

Trigger828 01-29-2013 03:02 AM

yea potatoes are yummy fried in grease, slathered in cheese and bacon and smothered under gravy or whatever you do with them :)

cutting those out of my life is saving me alot of misery :)

thank goodness I can drink in moderation. not alot. getting older so party time is gone but a few cold brews on a very hot summer is always sweet!

best of luck. you will do OK if you just work the plan and make a commit to change and roll on down that scale!!

avid 01-29-2013 06:33 AM

Alcohol has driven me off plan more than once.
Not so much because I drink too much, but when I have even one beer
or cocktail, the will power weakens and the carby dishes and deserts
can't be resisted.

rndiane 01-29-2013 06:43 AM

Yes, alcohol has been my down fall when it comes to Atkins. So today, I am 8 days alcohol free. I can't have just one drink. I need at least 2-3 before dinner. So, I have cut it out completely.

livinlarge 01-29-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jijane21 (Post 16225138)
After all this time on and off of LC, I finally figured out the two main culprits of my failures, potatoes and alcohol. I love potatoes. Baked, fried, mashed, au gratin, hash browns, chips, you name it, I love it! It is the one food that I will continue to eat even when my head says stop.

Then there is alcohol, which I cannot drink in moderation.

My new goal right now is to get those 2 things out of my life and then the diet should greatly improve!

I could've written this post....:hugs: There's sucha thing as moderation? Who knew? :dunno:
I don't have a problem with bad food choices while I'm drinking, its the next day that is an issue. I could chew my arm off the next day. "French fries? Sure! Bring it on!" "Can you get me TWO hashbrowns with that McMuffin honey?" "How do you feel about pizza tonight for dinner, and can we have breadstix too?" Not anymore....I'm DONE with this. I've vowed to not have another single drink until at least April, maybe later. No beer, no rum (my downfall), no wine, NOTHING. I plan to be posting in the before/after thread as a success story by this time next year.

synger 01-29-2013 08:44 AM

Alcohol has been my Achilles' heel for a while, too. I either drink too much (too many calories, even if it's low-carb), or the drinking makes me more likely to over eat and eat off-plan. Now that I'm on a prescription anti-inflammatory that doesn't cope well with alcohol, I have new incentive to avoid alcohol altogether.

4myfuture 01-29-2013 08:50 AM

trigger food for me = chocolate, just a nice big o'l chunk of chocolate. I can pass up a ring ding, chocolate cookies, cake.....but just one piece of pure chocolate----It's like a drug for me. Chocolate covered peanuts/almonds... are the absolute worst for me. I guess we all have a trigger food?

Susann 01-29-2013 10:25 AM

Glad you found your trigger-good luck!!

stardustshadow 01-29-2013 03:23 PM

potatoes are pretty evil. Of all the things I 'miss' on LC, they are at the top of the list. I don't REALLY miss them on a daily basis or anything but I would 'cheat' they would be one of the first big temptations.

Strawberry 01-29-2013 08:07 PM

I love potatoes too! I could care less about pasta, bread, cerea... but I Luvvvv mashed potatoes or baked potatoes.

Have you tried using cauliflower in any of the "hashbrown" or whipped cauliflower (faux mash potatoes) recipes? Its not the same, but I find the recipes enjoyable.

jijane21 01-30-2013 06:48 AM

I love cauliflower recipes, but unfortunately I massively go way overboard with them. If I make stuff like that I tend to eat it like it's a free food. I really have to stay away from substitutions, at least until I reach goal, and then only once in a while. This time around I'm really learning and acknowledging my food downfalls and issues, and that this has to be forever.

ica171 02-03-2013 08:39 PM

Pasta used to be my trigger, but now it's definitely sugar. I think I could literally eat sweets all day long, and a lot of days I feel like I do. Sigh. That's definitely going to be my hardest habit to break.

Liz1959 02-03-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmsWay (Post 16226412)
I could've written this post....:hugs: There's sucha thing as moderation? Who knew? :dunno:

:goodpost:And those calories add up! Sometimes I think all the diet soda I consume with it is even worse.

flatferenghi 02-06-2013 12:49 PM

i miraculously became disciplined with 2 former trigger foods

fruit and nuts (and pb). i can keep them in the house w/o going "nuts" over them. Those of us who identify our TRIGGER foods, and do something about it, are definitely people of high CALIBER, Gosh, ever since my eye operations (all 3 eyes), my jokes are getting CORNEA & CORNEA. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

Spanilingo 02-06-2013 02:56 PM

When I started low carbing I couldn't drink alcohol at all. Not because of the carbs as much as I would get trashed from a single beer!!! Embarrassing! I don't know from the lack of food or change in body chemistry! Not even a glass of wine.

So at first no alchohol.

Luckily I persevered! I practiced and practiced this summer hee hee hee.

Guinness and I are on much better terms now! Wink

readyfredy 02-06-2013 03:29 PM

How do you deal with stress/emotions? I love simple carbs and booze for stress (bad habit). Am trying to retrain myself. I suggest you may be more successful in your abstaining if you have a plan b for dealing with stress/emotions.

Good luck!

jijane21 02-08-2013 08:02 AM

I'm learning that to get over the alcohol I have to be okay with some stress instead of running for the vodka after a particularly stressful day. Also, I know that I won't get as stressed over some things when my body and brain aren't looking for the alcohol anymore. As for the potatoes, I just can't have them in the house right now. I can resist chips, but nothing else as far as potatoes go!

Big Stevie 02-08-2013 02:47 PM

Great news that you discovered it. Now you know your mission. You can do it. Can't wait to see your after pics at 130. They will be much more appealing than the potatoes.