Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
My daughter, myself

My oldest daughter, now 16; inherited this obesity problem from me. She is definitely insulin resistant! Just wanted to let you know that she continues to get healthier and healthier. For those who aren't sure how to get the last stubborn pounds off? Take it from a girl who couldn't lose a SINGLE POUND just cutting calories, she is now 5'9 and 150 pounds, BMI of 22, size 4 jeans. She runs 7-8 miles every other day, does 100 pushups every other day, counts out her calories on a tracker daily to about 1200-1500, and keeps her carbohydrates consistently at 30-40.

She is the kind of girl who would easily be morbidly obese by now if she had taken a different tack...just a note to let you all know what it takes for someone with an unfortunate metabolism. A LOT of tracking of carbs and calories, persistence, and lots of exercise.

She grumbles about not eating pizza and cookies, but she likes shopping at forever 21 better than treats.

Meanwhile...I am in bad shape. Up to 197. I know what I need to do. I've been trying to start, but letting myself get too hungry...so today I decided to eat unlimited very lowcarb food all day long. So far its working. Its 2pm and I have not had sugar cravings.

With my weight, my cravings and my eating/appetite balance so far out of whack...I'm just keeping it simple. Low carb, big breakfast, eating consistently. Its only day one but you know what...everyone's day one started sometime...

Nice to be able to come here and talk.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Congratulations on your daughter's success! You put her on the right track, so good for you, too!

Don't let yourself get hungry on a low carb WOE, especially when you are starting out. Focus on eating healthy real food with adequate protein and fat to satisfy you, and keep carb levels low. Plan ahead so that you can always grab something on-plan -- a boiled egg, a cheese stick, some tuna with mayo, what works for you--when hunger hits. And pretty soon the cravings for the carby stuff will begin to subside, and you'll feel better.

Congratulations on getting through day 1. Now come back tomorrow and tell us about your success on Day 2. And keep that up.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
That's so awesome Moon, about your daughter! And I feel the same way... been struggling to get back on track... we can all help each other!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
And I want to shop at Forever 21 too!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Congratulations to your daughter. That's so great that she conquered her metabolism early on and got healthy.

I feel the same way- losing weight and maintaining is hard work, but easier than being fat and having to suffer through that all day long with all of the health issues and clothes not fitting properly and feeling run down and winded just from simple tasks. I grumble too sometimes but like your daughter, I want to shop and wear certain clothes and no treat is worth that.

It's nice that you can have her as a role model in the house.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
That must be so nice to see your daughter at a good weight instead of misserably overweight.
Like you I am not doing well at all.
I have been eating sooooo bad for soooooo long and am back up to #135. I can hardly believe I let myself sit and eat and eat and eat like I have. I am getting back on the wagon now. I am going into the bathroom and flushing some stuff right now!!!!!! Right after I post this. Thank`s, let`s do it.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Great story on your daughter. Successful!

You just started but you will do fine. after all, look at your daughter for motivation
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Did your daughter decide to lose weight on her own? I ask because I have No clue how to broach the subject with my 12 yr old daughter. She's already 5'6 1/2 and weighs about 156 Dr isn't to concerned about it but i'd like to get her on to eatting better and it's been Horrible! She comes home from school starving because of the new school foods and tiny portions!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

No, my daughter did it here and there but I insisted she do it and stick with it about 18 months ago because her neck looked like it had acanthosis nigricans on it...and it was right in front of her neck, very visible. I told her this is what works...you have to do this. We cleared out the house and everyone went on plan. In total she's lost about 40 pounds but also put on a lot of lean muscle.

...but she is a VERY type A girl. Straight A's, always a clean room, you know the type. So because she is always doing what she is supposed to do, she stuck to this. Plus she likes bacon. She eats nearly the same thing every day: an omelette made with our backyard organic eggs, cheese and pork sausage for breakfast. A deli sandwich with lettuce instead of bread with mustard for lunch, and a hot meal made in the crockpot (usually stews with vegetables) for dinner.

She lets herself have pizza/cake/treats for one day about five times a year. I listen to her agonize at special occasions about whether its worth going off plan!

Its tough being a naturally fat person like my daughter: to change, it means constant vigilance. I'm continually amazed at the amount of work that 16 year old girl has to put in to be slender compared to her "normal" peers. But if a person wants it bad enough, can go against the grain enough and plan enough, it can be done.

As for me with a LOT of difficulty I DID get through day one.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, 190 today. Thought I was peeing a LOT last night!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
Wow, 190 today. Thought I was peeing a LOT last night!
Woohoo! Glad you had a gratifying drop on the scale! Keep up the good work through day 2!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote