Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Re-starting and question/poll

Good morning, all!

I have a very long and varied history with my weight, as I imagine a lot of us have. I am 34, 247 lbs, 5'6" and have tried low carb in the past with success. I have tried to re-start MANY times. Almost every week, since I last low carbed, which was 5 years ago. I have many, many excuses, such as "I have a party this week, I can't do it", or "Low carb is dead", or "this isn't realistic. Why do I have to eat like this when my skinny friends can eat whatever and not gain weight". So on and on. I've read every low carb diet book out there, I know the ins and outs. It's just when I get to starting, I talk myself out of it. And I know this way of eating is the best, without regards to portions and counting calories. I just can't get my head straight. And the fact that I went from 180 to 247 depresses me so I can't get out of that funk. I am literally stuck, with no inertia. Can anyone relate?

Also, OT, but does anyone just follow a low carb way of eating? Meaning, not following a food plan but just eating low carb? I can't get rid of diet sodas (not realistic). So just wanted to know your thoughts.

I am ready to change my lifestyle. I just need a budge. Thanks for listening!
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
If diet sodas help you, then drink diet sodas!

Maybe you could ease into this, by giving up the worst stuff--say, no white foods (no sugar, no potatoes, no rice, no flour)--and not worry about stuff like fruit and diet soda for a while. I also suggest that you join a challenge group and post every day; that often helps people stay accountable and not feel alone in their struggles.

Good luck. Many people have had trouble starting and have been able to make this a long-term lifestyle eventually. I hope your time has come, too. Posting here was a good start.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! It's hard to move forward when you feel like you've been defeated or defeated yourself year after year. You know what I mean? This is not a pity part AT ALL. I'm actually quite a happy person for the most part. A lot of things in my life are pretty good. Actually, EVERYTHING in my life is superb... but THIS. I have people tell me at least once a month that I have a pretty FACE. But everyone knows at the end of the day, men would rather get with an average looking slim girl that a very pretty overweight girl! Now Im just rambling! Thank you for that, svenskamae!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I can SO relate. Been there, done that!! I finally just got fed up with it all and one day I woke up and said today is the day. No more excuses. There's not an easy way to do it. As to your question about following a certain plan, I think it's wise to find one plan and stick with that. I've seen many people lose heart when they think they are doing so well and then don't succeed. There is a method to the madness...YKWIM? For instance, my SIL thought she was doing so great but when I questioned her, she was eating way too many carbs to lose weight. A few tweeks here and there and she has now lost 6lbs. I think that Atkin's is the easiest for beginners. Also you have to program your mind to accept that this is not a diet but a way of life.

Commit yourself to one month of clean, strict LC eating. It takes 30 days to establish a habit. You are worth one month!! You can do this. Trust me, if I can do it, anybody can. I am a will power-wimp
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Yep, I've been there. I gained and lost the same 20 lbs. on Weight Watchers for about 10 years. I hate that negative voice that says "You've not been successful before, what makes you think this will be different?"

In 2010 I got mad and focused. I kept my eye on the ball and refused to give up. I was really obsessed. I did not eat out, planned my food everyday and made sure I was not hungry. At first, I was eating alot of processed junk and then slowly started eating for nutrition. I joined WW again at work and the weekly weigh-ins really helped me to stay accountable.

I had a few lightbulb moments in 2010 that got me motivated. I watched my FIL pass away from mostly obese related issues. My MIL lost the mobility of her legs because of diabetes, obesity and lack of exercise.

I was sitting in the Doctor's office waiting room and was watching their screen with medical "infomercials." The film stated that 95% of all diseases today are TOTALLY preventable. I don't remember all the info but #1
was get the weight off. #2 Exercise.

For some reason, it just stuck. I had known my FIL for 20 years and remembered that, at my age he was slimmer and more active than me.

I guess I was visited by the Ghost of Christmas future. I still don't really do what most people call excercise. I simply move for 20 minutes a day. Walk the dogs, mow the lawn, park very far from the grocery, etc.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I'm on my 4th time around trying to lose the same 40 lbs that I've lost 3 times in the last 10 years crazy addictive behavior in my case. A taste sets me off just like an alcoholic or drug addicted individual. I must abstain or I fail miserably
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I don't follow any plan, I just make sure my carbs are below 30g every day. I don't even count anymore, but whenever I restart I count for a week until I get into the swing of things. My meals don't change a whole lot so it's pretty simple I am notorious for going off plan. What keeps me on plan throughout ketoadaptation is making sure I always have low carb high fat snacks around--cheese, nuts, dark chocolate.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
My DH is doing a generic LC - just cutting out the 4 big "white foods" (sugar, flour, potatoes, rice). He's just keeping it simple and not stressing about every bite that goes into his mouth. He's only got a couple of days under his belt but he's much less stressed about his diet this time.

Good luck and welcome!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone! All of that makes sense and has helped me put things in perspective! I am not a huge vegetable eater and (despite what others say/think), I don't think you should be forced to eat things you don't like, or else you will end up resenting low carb. I do like Atkins but I hate having to eat vegetables (all those vegetables) when I feel like I have to choke it down. I don't feel like i'll be successful that way. I am a big believer in eating what you like (on plan) and not eating what you don't like.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Question for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
I don't follow any plan, I just make sure my carbs are below 30g every day. I don't even count anymore, but whenever I restart I count for a week until I get into the swing of things. My meals don't change a whole lot so it's pretty simple I am notorious for going off plan. What keeps me on plan throughout ketoadaptation is making sure I always have low carb high fat snacks around--cheese, nuts, dark chocolate.
Do you follow Protein Power? I know with Protein Power, in their FAQ section, they say you can even eat sweets, or a treat, so long as your total carb count for the day is less than 30. They stated that it helps keep some of their clients on plan. Do you do that too?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
Good morning, all!

I have a very long and varied history with my weight, as I imagine a lot of us have. I am 34, 247 lbs, 5'6" and have tried low carb in the past with success. I have tried to re-start MANY times. Almost every week, since I last low carbed, which was 5 years ago. I have many, many excuses, such as "I have a party this week, I can't do it", or "Low carb is dead", or "this isn't realistic. Why do I have to eat like this when my skinny friends can eat whatever and not gain weight". So on and on. I've read every low carb diet book out there, I know the ins and outs. It's just when I get to starting, I talk myself out of it. And I know this way of eating is the best, without regards to portions and counting calories. I just can't get my head straight. And the fact that I went from 180 to 247 depresses me so I can't get out of that funk. I am literally stuck, with no inertia. Can anyone relate?

Also, OT, but does anyone just follow a low carb way of eating? Meaning, not following a food plan but just eating low carb? I can't get rid of diet sodas (not realistic). So just wanted to know your thoughts.

I am ready to change my lifestyle. I just need a budge. Thanks for listening!
I forgot to say I hope you will use this site for info and support. It is great. Making it my new hobbie has helped alot.

I had a friend in 2011 comment on my weight loss. I told her that I had lost 30 on WW and then 30 on Lowcarb. She asked "Was it hard?" My truthful answer was "Yes." I had to accept that I was going to be uncomfortable at first and then learn to navigate the many celebrations/challenges that came up. And avoid all the crappy food that found its' way into the office each day.

It's been a journey since then of discovering how/what I can eat that is healthy and maintainable. I have learned that I really don't need that much food. When you first start on a new way of eating the biggest fear is that you will be hungry. I still eat ALOT of veggies and I don't skrimp on the fat that I put on them. Fat keeps me happy. Too much protein keeps me hungry. Processed carbs and sugar make me feel like crap and keep me hungry for more.

In the past few years I've done VLC, High Fat, High Protein, Strict Paleo, Intermittant Fasting and Potatoes only for a week. IF has been a blessing for me. It is where I found my "sweet spot." I also realized that the most filling thing for me to eat is veggies. I eat a ton with fat now (butter) and don't eat as much protein. I can easily consume a whole bottle of wine a day if left to my own devices. This is my biggest challenge.

This is what has worked for ME. You will see many posts here from folks who eat just the opposite. You will see folks who have to totally abstain and those that need more flexibility. You have to figure out which one you are.

For me diet is like a rubber band. I want just enough tension to feel as if I'm happy and productive. Too loose and it's flabby and all "loosey goosey." Too tight and it will eventually pop. I have to allow for some flexibility or I will eventually fall into a plate of cookies.

Be your own Scientist. Figure out what is going to work long term for you.

This site is a wealth of info. Check out the Other Plans. Join a challenge. Look at the Journal's of others and jump in and say hi. You will find alot of great folks here who are willing to offer support and advice.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Quote:
Do you follow Protein Power? I know with Protein Power, in their FAQ section, they say you can even eat sweets, or a treat, so long as your total carb count for the day is less than 30. They stated that it helps keep some of their clients on plan. Do you do that too?
I read the Eades books and I love them. They definitely profess this idea and according to the science I have looked at it does not matter what the carbohydrate is, so long as it is less than 10g per meal or 30g per day. So, you don't want to have a piece of candy that is more than 10g. Phinney and Volek claim that you can have as much as 50g per day, but when I get up to those levels I can't lose weight, and I do not have a huge insulin problem and my blood sugar is spectacular--I just have a fat storage problem My mother went off her diabetes medication and still eats yogurt and granola several days a week. She has the worst ability to stay on any plan and no will power (ha ha) so if she can do it and lose a ton of weight, I'm sure it's possible! But for me, I have to stay below 30g bc I have to be seriously disciplined. You might want to try a reduced carb plan and allow yourself more things, but I find that that leads to more cravings and binging for myself.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Great advice, Erin! I do believe that you need enough structure FOR YOU. And that if it's too strict/tight, you will eventually pop and that is what happened to me a few years ago. I lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks. I was SOOO strict and even a little obsessive over my carbs that when my birthday came around and I ate a peice of cake, I just went crazy and then it became to "loose". So now I am trying to learn from my mistakes and allow myself to be human within the constraints of eating low carb.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
I read the Eades books and I love them. They definitely profess this idea and according to the science I have looked at it does not matter what the carbohydrate is, so long as it is less than 10g per meal or 30g per day. So, you don't want to have a piece of candy that is more than 10g. Phinney and Volek claim that you can have as much as 50g per day, but when I get up to those levels I can't lose weight, and I do not have a huge insulin problem and my blood sugar is spectacular--I just have a fat storage problem My mother went off her diabetes medication and still eats yogurt and granola several days a week. She has the worst ability to stay on any plan and no will power (ha ha) so if she can do it and lose a ton of weight, I'm sure it's possible! But for me, I have to stay below 30g bc I have to be seriously disciplined. You might want to try a reduced carb plan and allow yourself more things, but I find that that leads to more cravings and binging for myself.
I read 6 Weeks to OMG and the author has a chapter on carbs. He says that you can eat up to 60 grams (and that is the lowest number of carbs he advocates to lose weight, which to me is too high) of carbs and still lose weight. But he says that you can eat anything you want but stay within that range. I know a lot of people don't agree with that philosophy but I think you have to do what works for you, in all reality. But thank you for your comments about it. Was very helpful.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I've done Atkins at least 6 times since 2001. I've re-read the book each time I restart... so I'm well versed in the methodology behind the diet (even though I've never been able to stick to it for longer than 6 months.)

This time I'm not following a strict Atkins plan. I've cut out all sugar, flour and starchy vegetables and I'm eating only whole foods. I allow myself three beverages a day that aren't water. Green Tea with HWC/CO/Davinci for breakfast, Diet Coke with Splenda with lunch and Iced Tea with liquid splenda with dinner. I'm eating more dairy than Atkins allows at first, and I do have the occasionaly handful of Almonds. Since I'm not a huge fan of 'salad veggies' I've been eating most of my vegetables cooked in butter or bacon fat - though, I do have a green salad with full fat dressing a few times a week.

I religiously record every bite of food/beverage that goes into my mouth and have not exceeded 30 carbs except one day when I hit 30.31 (stupid splenda).

Those are the basic rules of what I'm doing.

Last edited by Britt1975; 01-28-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Ah sweetie i've been there before too. On May 21st when I started this time I was 207, miserable and So sick of being called "A Bigger girl" I hated the way I felt And looked so I restarted and Thank God it clicked this time! I think I finally figured out that I Do deserve to do this for Me, as a Mom I do everything Everyday for others and this is for Me, my health My future and i'll admit it, my Vanity! Lol! I started going by Dr Atkins new diet revolution induction for the first 3-4 weeks and went from there. I'm about 5-10 lbs from my goal and I Still keep my carbs 25-35 or so. You deserve to be healthy hon and to feel good!

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
I've done Atkins at least 6 times since 2001. I've re-read the book each time I restart... so I'm well versed in the methodology behind the diet (even though I've never been able to stick to it for longer than 6 months.)

This time I'm not following a strict Atkins plan. I've cut out all sugar, flour and startchy vegetables and I'm eating only whole foods. I allow myself three beverages a day that aren't water. Green Tea with HWC/CO/Davinci for breakfast, Diet Coke with Splenda with lunch and Iced Tea with liquid splenda with dinner. I'm eating more dairy than Atkins allows at first, and I do have the occasionaly handful of Almonds. Since I'm not a huge fan of 'salad veggies' I've been eating most of my vegetables cooked in butter or bacon fat - though, I do have a green salad with full fat dressing a few times a week.

I religiously record every bite of food/beverage that goes into my mouth and have not exceeded 30 carbs except one day when I hit 30.31 (stupid splenda).

Those are the basic rules of what I'm doing.
Nice numbers! 16 lbs in two weeks? Did I read that right?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Ah sweetie i've been there before too. On May 21st when I started this time I was 207, miserable and So sick of being called "A Bigger girl" I hated the way I felt And looked so I restarted and Thank God it clicked this time! I think I finally figured out that I Do deserve to do this for Me, as a Mom I do everything Everyday for others and this is for Me, my health My future and i'll admit it, my Vanity! Lol! I started going by Dr Atkins new diet revolution induction for the first 3-4 weeks and went from there. I'm about 5-10 lbs from my goal and I Still keep my carbs 25-35 or so. You deserve to be healthy hon and to feel good!
Thank you! I can tell by your writing that you're a sweet person! Thanks for the pep talk and advice!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Quote:
Nice numbers! 16 lbs in two weeks? Did I read that right?

Yes... but that's the inital water weight loss - and estimated due to a schizophrenic scale. I won't see such a big loss over the next two weeks - the first two are always the big woosh -which is great, because I usually need that to get me through the conversion to lc.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
Yes... but that's the inital water weight loss - and estimated due to a schizophrenic scale. I won't see such a big loss over the next two weeks - the first two are always the big woosh -which is great, because I usually need that to get me through the conversion to lc.
For your 30 grams, do you eat mainly veggies, or are you more flexible as far as eating "any" carbs, so long as you don't exceed 30 grams?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Felt the same way 2 years ago...here what got me started ...very short and to the point. http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/upl...e-Feb-2011.pdf
Good luck

And for your poll...I had to follow a plan I just could not wing in...I needed the structure and something to refer back to when I had questions.

Last edited by lterry913; 01-28-2013 at 03:40 PM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Felt the same way 2 years ago...here what got me started ...very short and to the point. http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/upl...e-Feb-2011.pdf
Good luck

And for your poll...I had to follow a plan I just could not wing in...I needed the structure and something to refer back to when I had questions.
Awesome. Thanks, I printed it! I read it a couple years ago in Readers Digest. Nice to refer back to!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
This is my third serious go-round since mid-2002.

The first time, I was doing really well for several months, lost something like 80 lbs, then I move cross-country and had some other life upheavals, including what ended up being the first serious MS symptoms and some related depression. I just couldn't keep the diet together on top of that.

Second round, I thought I was ready, I wanted to be ready, but I really wasn't. I kept starting and stopping. Finally, I just gave up.

I'm going to be forty this year. I have been lucky to escape weight-related health issues, but I can't rely on that luck to hold forever. I don't want to be diabetic or have high blood pressure. I already have enough health problems for ten people, and I would be so freaking pissed at myself if I ate myself into more. It's time for me to grow up and get back on track. Unfortunately, I can't exercise like I used to, but I can eat cleanly.

So I'm back on track. Seriously.

I'm on strict Induction (2002 version,) with diet soda. Due to food allergies, all my veggies are cooked, and I tend to eat them in one meal. The rest of my carbs come from dairy.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote