Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Foods you didn't like before LC... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795585-foods-you-didnt-like-before-lc.html)

Mimosa23 01-28-2013 12:45 AM

Foods you didn't like before LC...

So this weekend I got an intense craving for saurkraut. I HATE, no: DETEST saurkraut! For some reason I really wanted to eat some! :dunno::eek:
Anyway, I bought some on Friday evening and had some cold as a part of a side salad, which I enjoyed, and then yesterday evening I had it warm, with crispy bacon and some bacon fat mixed in, alongside a nice slice of pork belly. YUMMY!

So, what did you not like before LC and now enjoy?

Have your tastes changed since starting LC?

~PaperMoon~ 01-28-2013 01:25 AM

Yes a LOT! I hated wheat bread, hated salads, hated veggies, hated artificial sugar, I hated anything that wasn't carb filled. :) My whole way of eating has been flipped. Before, everything I ate was sweet and carby. Now my body doesn't even want that sweet carby stuff anymore. :up:

princessmommy 01-28-2013 06:22 AM

Brussel sprouts, *shudder* the very thought of them used to make me sick, but now I kinda like them Lol. I've always been a big veggie eatter before LC but I was just eatting the Wrong veggies. Oh and Fish I Love Tilipa now where before if I even ate fish it had to be rolled in fish seasoning and fried Lol

anglgrl 01-28-2013 10:35 AM

I wasn't really fond of meat before LC. I didn't hate it or anything, I just had no desire to eat it. Now I'm a meat junky. :yummy:
Weirder - when I started LC I liked pork loin and bacon etc. Now I can't stand the taste of pork. It's the only meat I don't like.

clackley 01-28-2013 11:00 AM

Yes, my tastes have changed and I now love brussel sprouts (hated them before). Olives used to make me gag but I :heart: them now. And hwc in coffee was just gross but now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Crispy salmon skin is another fave. I always thought cucumbers were pretty boring but they have become another staple and love. And finally, dark chocolate was detested but now, a square of 99% lindt is a much adored treat.

I still think I hate sour kraut but maybe I need to give it another go???:)

ravenrose 01-28-2013 11:58 AM

brussels sprouts, turnips. yum.

dejaht 01-28-2013 12:02 PM

I hated the taste and feel of butter (melted was ok) and animal fat! Now I love it... YUM:)

cfine 01-28-2013 12:02 PM

Spinach. I used to hate it now I LOVE it!! And kale. I dream about kale.

luvmybabyhead 01-28-2013 12:33 PM

Coconut. Apparently I dislike SWEETENED coconut and not just plain old coconut. I can't get enough of the stuff as long as it's roasted or raw without any sweetner on it.

limetwist 01-28-2013 01:27 PM

Ohhhh my gosh. I could go on for ages about how much my tastes have changed since starting low carb. It's really astounding.

First off: vegetables. I wasn't one of those kids who subsisted solely on mac and cheese and french fries or anything, but I definitely wasn't the biggest veggie enthusiast. My, how the times have changed...nowadays, it's an incredible rarity for me not to eat at least two huge servings of fibrous vegetables with dinner. Spinach tastes sweet to me now. It's nuts! I eat salad greens by themselves sometimes because I enjoy the taste.

I have developed an incredible affinity for meat on the bone and all of the "nasty bits" associated. I remember very clearly, in the first year of low carbing, I cooked a Thanksgiving turkey for my fiancÚ and me. After we had our fill of meat, we cleaned off the carcass for storage. I never saw any reason to pick it very clean and had no real desire to munch the bits of meat closer to the bone. It didn't gross me out, per se, but I just really didn't have any interest in it. As I've grown as both a cook and an adventurous low-carb eater, I pick every single bone that comes in contact with my teeth clean. :laugh: I love all of the cartilage and stringy bits and consider it a treat to pick off all of the little meaty bits with my teeth.

Pork rinds. Used to make me gag when I saw my mom crunching on them. Now I eat them with almond butter and roll my eyes in delight. One of my favorite indulgences...mmmmmm.

Almond butter also used to gross me out. Now it's like canned frosting to me, hahaha.

My love affair with fat (animal fats, healthy nut oils, vegetable/fruit oils) has also gotten more and more intense as time goes on. I was always a "sirloin" kind of girl growing up. Now I'm a ribeye girl, a prime rib girl, and a pork belly girl. I'm the weirdo who goes around picking the bits of uneaten fat off my brother and dad's plates when I come to visit for dinner. ;) I also pick all of the fat off of pork butts and ribs before I tuck in to the meat. Fat is like a condiment to me.

Interestingly enough, I've sort of lost my taste for cheese since starting low carb. I used to eat cheeseburgers, but now the concept just doesn't quite appeal to me. Maybe it's the heavily processed cheese that's turning me off? I dunno. I'd just rather eat other things. I've never been a huge butter fan, either, and that hasn't changed since low carb. I HAVE experienced an increased interest in sour cream.

My interest in sour/fermented/pickled/vinegary foods has also increased since starting this diet. Not sure if there is a correlation or not; perhaps my taste buds are developing a proclivity to different flavor profiles other than "rot your teeth out" sweet now.

Very awesome topic. I love these sorts of discussions.

flatferenghi 01-28-2013 01:32 PM

many veggies i barely tolerated...but

now i love them. the secret is saute-ing and grilling, as opposed to boiling and steaming. I still won't eat brussells sprouts, lima beans, and organ meats. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

jijane21 01-28-2013 03:29 PM

Broccoli, cauliflower, onion, bok choy. My vegetable horizons have spread!

socaligirl714 01-28-2013 03:32 PM

string beans... i never liked them always ate around them... now i find myself making them for myself LOL

even eggs... i didnt even like to cook eggs before! when my husband would ask me i would always say NOOOOOO
now since im so uncreative i forced myself to eat them once and a while for breakfast...
the first time i did low carb my husband used to force me to eat them and said he couldnt eat with me because i would gag and accordign to him looked so grossed out eating them... LOL now i can eat them every now and then but lately i have been burned out

clare_o 01-28-2013 03:40 PM

Butter!!! I used to think I hated butter but I realise now that I hated margarine and all the other awful low fat butter substitutes that I was eating thinking they were the healthy option. Now that real butter is a daily part of my life I love it...I have a lot of lost time to make up ;)

Clare

taokeema 01-28-2013 04:48 PM

okra
cream in coffee
zucchini

Psmileyf 01-28-2013 04:54 PM

blue cheese and avocados

And salads as meals. I used to think salads were appetizers...now since I add fatty things that taste good to them I can eat them as a meal.

reddarin 01-28-2013 05:18 PM

Those 90% Lindt chocolate bars. Absolutely love them now and I never could have eaten them before LC.

SeaMaiden 01-28-2013 05:29 PM

Definitely hated pork rinds, mayo and any olives before LCing. Now I love them all. I also used to hate dark meat, now I prefer it... (seems more filling to me). I also bought a can of saurkraut about 3 months ago because it "sounded" good to me, but haven't eaten it yet. Weird how tastes change!

thealything 01-28-2013 05:52 PM

Vegetables, definitely. I never HATED them, but I definitely didn't enjoy them, nor did I actively seek out recipes or get really excited about salad ideas.

I do find I have a taste for fruit and other sweet plant matter that I didn't have before. Due to low carb, the natural sweetness of apples, berries, melons, sweet potatoes, and squash sends me into swoons of delight. Especially if they're used as a condiment with meat, cheese, or some form of fat -- so decadent! Before, I sort of avoided fruit and found the other stuff sort of gross.

creseis 01-28-2013 05:58 PM

Eggs! I am the pickiest eater in the world, for sure, and LC made me more picky! My man gets all bent out of shape when we have to choose a place to go out to dinner!

Annie75 01-28-2013 06:25 PM

Cabbage! I used to HATE the very thought of it, now I adore Crack slaw and often eat cabbage with salad dressing instead of lettuce or spinach.
I'm still not much of as veggie lover, but I'm getting better!

Jaded62 01-28-2013 06:47 PM

Turnips,onions,cooked cabbage.

BSR3 01-28-2013 09:07 PM

Cauliflower! Never would have gone near it before.

picklepete 01-28-2013 09:38 PM

Tomato, zucchini, radishes, avocado, olives, mushrooms, shellfish...

Avy 01-28-2013 09:46 PM

Avocados. I HATED them. Now, I can eat them on salad, or mixed with sour cream for a dressing, or plain with a soon and pepper! can't believe I like them now, but they are my #1 go to low carb food.

Oh, and cream in my coffee! I love bullet proof coffee, even though I'm still a black coffee drinker at heart.

Oh Oh! lol...tea... can't believe I like dirty water now either. :)

LoriWants2Lose 01-28-2013 10:50 PM

I never could stand anything but deep fried shrimp. I now LOVE grilled (not breaded) shrimp. I crave it sometimes.

Psmileyf 01-29-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16225416)
Those 90% Lindt chocolate bars. Absolutely love them now and I never could have eaten them before LC.

My BFF got a job at Lindt recently. I have 5 coupons for free bars in my wallet. I shall try the 90% today!

Jrw85705 01-29-2013 08:34 AM

Broccoli and avocados. Wouldn't touch them and don't ever put them on my plate. Now I eat both at least 5 days a week. I will even order them when we go out to dinner. Go figure, it only took 63 years.

Mistizoom 01-29-2013 10:38 AM

Fresh green beans. I never liked them before. But I've made them a couple times since going low carb and I really like them!

Sharon 01-29-2013 10:42 AM

spaghetti squash