Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Torn between carbs and calories (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795579-torn-between-carbs-calories.html)

Dredaye9 01-27-2013 08:08 PM

Torn between carbs and calories
 
It's been a year since I started low carb again. A year and I've lost about twenty lbs . I started with induction level carbs . I KNOW low carb works better than any other diet I've ever done. So basically I know it is all about calories in the end. But I have a hard time balancing carbs and calories and not binging. I recently gained a few lbs back and I know it's because I allowed myself to go over on calories and carbs. I don't want to gain all the weight back but I want to be able to get back in this low carb wagon. I think I can maintain at about 100 g net and 1500 calories. I don't know how to get back on the right track

rubidoux 01-27-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredaye9 (Post 16223601)
I KNOW low carb works better than any other diet I've ever done. So basically I know it is all about calories in the end.

I don't think this is true for most people. I think if you chose a sufficiently low number of carbs, you'd probably not have to worry about calories. Some people do have to worry about calories while doing low carb, but I think probably most people would have to worry about the cals at 100 g.

mizzcase 01-28-2013 03:29 AM

Is 100g net carbs even considered low carb? I don't know.. I'd shoot for 20g net, 30g total. If you can, try to shoot for high fat (65-85%/moderate protein/low carb.. I am already pretty small, but I find I lose easily when I limit my carbs to around 30g total a day, my protein to 65-85g daily, and fill in the rest of my day with fats.

Fats are VERY satisfying, and I find it extremely difficult to get to 1200 calories total some days. Hope this helps :)

ETA: I am moderately/very active as well, so my appetite should be ROARING but it isn't. I run about 10 miles a week and lift (heavy for me, LOL) three days a week as well.

SpikersMom 01-28-2013 03:35 AM

Hi Dredaye! I also had this "slap myself in the head" moment last weekend! Low carb is what works for me. Stopping goofing off already! So I have been watching my carbs, tracking my food, but honestly I don't care about the calorie count. So far I'm down a few pounds. Probably water BUT at least the scale is moving that way. I'm not on induction but keeping my carbs between 30 and 60 most days. I would advise you to lower your carbs somewhat, watch the sugars, and don't sweat the calories. Good luck - we're all here to support each other!

Kittee 01-28-2013 08:42 AM

Even doc Atkins says that when you eat low carb, you can get away with more calories. Reason being that when you're body is releasing ketones in urine and when breathing, that is calories out. Not sure how that works because I am no doctor, but that's what I got from Atkins '72 book. I have been eating as much as I want, heck I even snack on chunks of butter here and there, and so far have lost over 5 lbs in a week. If I was eating more carbs, I think I might have to count calories. I am probably at less than 5 a day though, so I don't even think about calories. It's quite awesome, because I can't stand counting both. I eat a ton of fat with my protein, and a few mushrooms here and there. Like I said I don't count calories, but I must be getting a lot with all that BUTTER I eat. I'm like the low carb Paula Deen xD

reddarin 01-28-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredaye9 (Post 16223601)
But I have a hard time balancing carbs and calories and not binging.

How so?

clackley 01-28-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredaye9 (Post 16223601)
It's been a year since I started low carb again. A year and I've lost about twenty lbs . I started with induction level carbs . I KNOW low carb works better than any other diet I've ever done. So basically I know it is all about calories in the end. But I have a hard time balancing carbs and calories and not binging. I recently gained a few lbs back and I know it's because I allowed myself to go over on calories and carbs. I don't want to gain all the weight back but I want to be able to get back in this low carb wagon. I think I can maintain at about 100 g net and 1500 calories. I don't know how to get back on the right track

I think this statement and belief is where your trouble may lay. If you are consuming carbs in order to keep your calorie count down, you may be shooting yourself in the foot. And because all calories are not equal, you may be consuming some that are highly addictive, insulin producing and fat promoting.

I would suggest that you go back to basic induction for 2 wks. and then start be very careful about the type of carbs you add back in.

Garden 01-29-2013 04:19 AM

What are you eating? 100 net ? Is that a typo?

stardustshadow 01-29-2013 04:38 PM

I have to worry about calories AND carbs! I eat a ridiculously low amount of calories right now. But I am shedding the last pounds which are always the hardest!

Dragonlady 02-07-2013 09:51 AM

Just do it! Set yourself a weight loss goal and then go for it. I've been eating less than 20g net carbs per day and anywhere from 1200-1500 cals per day and in a month I have lost 10 lbs. For month 2 (February) I am aiming to lose another 6lbs. Month 3 (March) another 6 lbs and finally, Month 4 (April) 5lbs. find that breaking it down into smaller goals this way, keeps me on track and I don't freak out if the scale moves up a pound some days - I know I have the rest of the month to reach my goal.

Admittedly I have had a few cheat days on weekends where've I've baked low carb treats and eaten around 50-60 net carbs and 1800- 2000 cals but overall my weight has been going down.

mom23kids 02-07-2013 12:23 PM

I was one of the ones that lc alone wasn't working out and switched to juddd, which only counts calories. For me that's what works best (an IF plan), but everyone is different and you just need to experiment some to find out what works for you (lc, low calories, a combo of both etc etc).

DiamondDeb 02-07-2013 02:47 PM

Dredaye9, I suggest you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. It explains the what & whys of nutrition and it will be helpful.

I suggest everyone who thinks it is all about calories in, calories out read the book.

mom23kids 02-07-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16246380)
Dredaye9, I suggest you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. It explains the what & whys of nutrition and it will be helpful.

I suggest everyone who thinks it is all about calories in, calories out read the book.

I've read taube's book and have also watched one of his speaking videos :) however in my research of the different plans out there, (over 100 hours and counting lol), i've been more intrigued by the emerging research pointing to the health benefits of IF plans, which are all based on calories and when to eat them.

DiamondDeb 02-07-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16246408)
I've read taube's book and have also watched one of his speaking videos :) however in my research of the different plans out there, (over 100 hours and counting lol), i've been more intrigued by the emerging research pointing to the health benefits of IF plans, which are all based on calories and when to eat them.

Why not take the best from both? I really don't believe it is one or the other.

I seem to see additional fat loss benefits when making sure there is a 12 hour fasted period between dinner & breakfast. It is part of my latest experiment but it is still early in the game, so to speak.

sfmom 02-07-2013 05:05 PM

Dreday9 - I stay between 30 - 40 carbs and don't count calories and have been easily maintaining below my goal weight for the last 5 months. All the carbs I eat are nuts, dairy, veggies, meat and some low carb berries once in a while.

Audrey

Dee-L 02-07-2013 10:52 PM

100 carbs is not low carb!! I've been low carbing for over 8 months and maintaining a 60 lb loss for 4 months and I would never exceed 30 carbs/day. And that would be a bad day.

metqa 02-08-2013 12:22 AM

100 carbs compared to the standard 300 carbs would be 1/3, and by some would be considered low. some people can go from 300carbs down to 100 and have a significant change. Some people maintain at 100g of carbs after having lost.

It's relative and personal what your carb level for loss and maintenance are.

dianda 02-08-2013 01:39 AM

I'd never be able to mantain forever at Induction levels. Too restrictive on the long term and my quality of life would diminish too much. I aim to mantain at low-moderate levels of carbs, about 70-100 g per day - but I was also "mantaining" at 200-300 g, at what cost for my long-term health though, who knows.

To the OP: I have to watch both. I'm short so I just don't have enough inches to shove the fat in :) I'm 5'4'' and my TDEE should be around 1600-1700, so I try to keep my daily calories around 1200-1400 (even losing better when I eat slightly more!) and it's working with those hard last pounds. :)

Ntombi 02-08-2013 03:53 AM

Most people would not be in ketosis at 100g of carbs per day. When you're not in ketosis, you lose the metabolic advantage, so yes, calories become more crucial.

If 100g per day is what you can stick with long-term, I think you'll always have to watch calories, and cut some fat. IMO, eating that many carbs, along with high fat, might be unhealthy. (I'm not saying high fat is unhealthy, I don't believe that. I'm saying that high fat combined with a significant amount of carbs, tends to be unhealthy.)

Also, you mentioned binging. I'd take a serious, honest look at what you're eating. If you're eating 100g of carbs per day, you might be eating some that are triggering your binge behavior. And you're likely not getting the appetite suppressive advantages of ketosis, which might help too. There was a really good binge thread here maybe a week or two back that had some book recommendations. I would do a search.

I would think seriously about going back to induction for two weeks, and then slowly--slowly!--adding foods back one at a time, while keeping a food journal. That might help you figure out some triggers, either food or emotional. You might be able to get back to the 100g level and stay there without the binges, just by removing one or two foods.

mom23kids 02-08-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16246560)
Why not take the best from both? I really don't believe it is one or the other.

I seem to see additional fat loss benefits when making sure there is a 12 hour fasted period between dinner & breakfast. It is part of my latest experiment but it is still early in the game, so to speak.

You can definately do both :) however, for me personaly, when i restricted carbs too much i started to resent it. I have to find the balance between quality of life, and good health. The great thing about juddd and other IF plans is that on my dd/fasting days i naturally eat low carb so i get the best of both worlds. today is a fasting day for me and i'll be eating eggs, turkey bacon and soup. Calories will be around 500 and carbs will be 11 :) everyone has to experiment and find out what works for them-not only for weight loss, but for what's going to be sustainable long term.

sunday 02-08-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16247083)
Also, you mentioned binging. I'd take a serious, honest look at what you're eating. If you're eating 100g of carbs per day, you might be eating some that are triggering your binge behavior. And you're likely not getting the appetite suppressive advantages of ketosis, which might help too. There was a really good binge thread here maybe a week or two back that had some book recommendations. I would do a search.

I would think seriously about going back to induction for two weeks, and then slowly--slowly!--adding foods back one at a time, while keeping a food journal. That might help you figure out some triggers, either food or emotional. You might be able to get back to the 100g level and stay there without the binges, just by removing one or two foods.

Good thoughts here! I agree with this and have done it with great success. I have been LC paleo for the last year with pretty darn close to Atkins LC for about 4 years prior. Lost a good amount of weight with both. I began intermittent fasting a year ago to try and help get more weight off after unfortunately meno added 25 extra lbs back on.

It really does matter what the carbs consist from. There is, of course, non-nutritional carbs which are only going to hold you back. If you add back safe starches as taters and white rice, plus load up on nutrient dense veggies, but no more than 25% of your daily macros and keep the fat no more than 65%, staying paleo-ish, I believe you will not only lose the craving/binging, but also find a happy medium. I have healed my hypothyroidism and I can tell you that it is a big deal for me!!! Simply, adding the right carbs back. If you haven't heard of "Perfect Health Diet" by Paul Jaminet you can do a search for his site and he explains how this heals.

avid 02-08-2013 06:40 AM

The carb vs. calorie debate is one I have with myself often.
I can tell you from my personal experience, that carbs matter most.
Whenever I need to increase the intensity of my program to lose additional weight,
it is always a decrease in carbs that moves the scale down.
That being said...I just love dairy. Cheese and sour cream (sweetened with torani sf vanilla) are very lc but high in calories. I can't over do the dairy even if it keeps my total carb count low, the increase in calories will stall me.
So when I need to break out to a new level, I reduce my carbs...and reduce my dairy...I'm not sure if it's a total reduction in calories or just the dairy calories that make the difference though.
this business is complicated, but experience has taught me that when in doubt
go low carb.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 AM.