LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

Nope! I'm not worried either. The people who told me veggies were healthy have turned out to be pretty unreliable.
Be careful with this. Dr. Atkins recommended that everyone take supplements on his plan . There are many things that you can't get from meat alone. The native people that survived without vegetables were eating the whole animal from head to toe and all the innards and stomach contents.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Definitely wheat! I have not had wheat products since June and have noticed such huge improvements - heartburn is gone, intestinal issues gone, joint pain has improved, night time hot flashes are almost gone.

I used to think my intestinal problems were dairy related, but after removing the wheat I now have no issues with dairy.

I also try to not get any added sugars other than what is in fruit, etc.
astribling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Be careful with this. Dr. Atkins recommended that everyone take supplements on his plan . There are many things that you can't get from meat alone. The native people that survived without vegetables were eating the whole animal from head to toe and all the innards and stomach contents.
As I said, lately I have been eating greens a some cucumbers here and there, but I have also gone months at a time, maybe as many as six months with only meat, cheese, and added fats and felt great. I have huge respect for Atkins, but I don't necessarily believe that everything he recommended was completely on target. It may be true that w/o vegetables I'll need some supplementation, but so far I seem to be no worse for wear and in fact feel loads healthier. I will be mindful of it, though. I'm always paying attention.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Cantaloupe, it caused me to itch.
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
For me, it has been dairy and sugar. I can get away with gluten a few times a week. I mostly avoid it but still eat it in sushi and occasionally a tortilla.

My sinuses and gut are pretty normal until I try to add the dairy. The sugar is what makes my joints ache.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CatieTN
Stats: 232/205/175 5'10
WOE: jasonsmithfitness 12 week transformation
Start Date: 10/21/13
Diet soda...the worst thing I was doing was guzzling 6 liters a day.....man, I had the worst detox coming off that....but guess what? NO more brain fog and artificial sugar crashes! My cells feel healthier already!
CatieTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
The people who told me veggies were healthy have turned out to be pretty unreliable.

Really? There are 'reiliable' people who aren't saying veggies aren't healthy?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
3 weeks ago today I gave up DIET SODA and anything with aspartame in it . I had a headache for 3 days straight when I quit drinking it, but after that, I had not had a headache since Now the only time I ever drink anything resembling soda is a work, and it's Mr. Pibb and only when I need a caffeine boost (they charge $4/cup for coffee or tea) and then only enough to wet my throat. Then I want water.

Wheat and sugar
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: exiledone1
Stats: 285/240/170
WOE: Atkins (The New Diet Revolution) on Induction
Start Date: 12/2/2013
I have suffered with allergies my entire life and ever since I got on Atkins they have pretty much vanished. When I have went off Atkins for one reason or another they always act up again.

I have a feeling it's Wheat for me as well. Where I live there isnt any grass fed meat so I'm stuck with normal meet from the supermarket, but since I no longer eat bread and other items with wheat I feel much, much better.

So I highly believe Wheat is a no, no for me. Lol it almost makes me wonder if all those conspiracy theories about the government and wheat are true lol lol

Kidding, but yeah Wheat seems to be a no no

Josh
exiledone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The people who told me veggies were healthy have turned out to be pretty unreliable.

OK, I think I'm gonna have to respectfully answer this in a way that is nearly as confusing as the question. I did not say that there are reliable people who say that veggies are not healthy (did I get that right?). I consider myself to be fairly reliable (though I don't do my own double blind research studies or anything), but I don't actually say that veggies are not healthy. I'm not sure about that, one way or the other. And it seems like a pretty radical idea anyhow. I wouldn't want to be the one to say it out loud. Anyone remember what happened to Atkins when he dared to say that fat and protein weren't the killers?

What I said earlier, though, was that the people who told us that veggies are healthy are not reliable. They are the same people who are trying to shove whole grains down our pie holes. And I refuse to take any more diet advice from them, thank you very much!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #42
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
GME: I am curious... did you just develop a wheat allergy as an adult? I just found out about my wheat allergy in November as well. I am 27. My allergist tells me that it is extremely rare for an adult to develop a wheat allergy. I tested positive on both the skin prick and the RAST IgE-specific blood test.
I spent a good chunk of my adult life with heartburn, constant swelling & bloating, at least 10 years with rosacea and acne from 10 years old to 42. I blamed this and that and took different meds to try to help the symptoms.

A friend found out she was allergic to wheat and her symptoms sounded similar to mine, so I quit wheat and it all went away.

After I figured it out, my mom reminded me that I had stomach aches all the time as a kid. She took me to doctor after doctor and eventually they told her I was making it up to get attention. None of them ever mentioned an allergy to her. She believed me, but didn't know what to do.

I did the IgE test and tested higher than wheat on several things. I did a period of elimination for each thing and found dairy makes me stuffy. Eggs were really high, but I can't feel a difference with or without them.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #43
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Well, wheat sure seems to be "winning"!!!

(I'm a bit relieved because I was afraid everyone was going to say dairy!
I would much rather live the rest of my life without wheat than without dairy! )
I do not eat dairy.

I notice a positive difference without it though it is not huge. I have decided organic or grass-fed butter is the only dairy I'll bring home. I am fine with a bit of cheese on a salad when I eat out though.

I've also researched enough that I do not feel we were meant to eat dairy.

Quote:
I envy people who do this.
I eliminated grains no problem, but the grass fed meat/fish are difficult to find and very expensive.
I know I can afford to add a percentage of grass fed meats to my diet, but my
"cheapskate" gene combines with my "it's too much of a bother" hormone to keep me from making the commitment.
When I switched to grass-fed beef I was already eating everything else natural, local, organic, pesticide-free. It was that final switch to grass-fed beef that made the difference in my pain level. Overnight it was such a huge change it was scary. I wonder if they are out to kill us all.

I will eat less beef at times because of the price & I stock up a bit when it is on sale. I'll do without rather than eat something that will make me hurt like that again.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledone1 View Post
t almost makes me wonder if all those conspiracy theories about the government and wheat are true lol lol

Kidding, but yeah Wheat seems to be a no no

Josh
When I got Wheat Belly and read the back of the book I immediately envisioned the black helicopters descending on the author's home. In fact, I put it down and didn't pick it up again for a few months - unread.

Then I got Why We Get Fat by Taubes. After I read that I dug around and found Wheat Belly again and started reading it. I went into it planning to dismiss it as paranoid crap heh.

But I was wheat-free by page 50.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
But I was wheat-free by page 50.
It is pretty striking. Among traditional/ancestral nutrition literature, even the most carb-positive folks acknowledge the problems with wheat. While some societies were doing well enough on rice and tubers, the wheat-eating Egyptians had lots of tooth decay and heart disease.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:

I think I need to review my posts before posting LOL
I meant to say "there are reliable people who are saying veggies aren't healthy"?

It has been responded to and I see no reason to continue the discussion, just wanted to let
y'all know that this was a typo.

Last edited by avid; 01-29-2013 at 06:23 AM..
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I stopped eating wheat, rice, corn and potatoes at the time I started low carb two years ago. They were my favorite foods which I thought I couldn’t live without. Initially is was very difficult, both from the desire to have what I liked and the habit of eating these things. I’d just make a sandwich if I was hungry (which was all the time) because it was easy and tasted good.

I found removing all these foods was all worthwhile when I realized I wasn’t bloated after eating, my hunger was satisfied and I wasn’t looking for something to eat an hour later.

But the biggest thing I noticed was the terrible mind fog I always had after eating was not reduce but gone. I must have figured that was how everyone felt after eating but I know different now.

I discovered “What Belly” and “Sugar Nation” after starting low carb and they verified what I was experiencing.
I won’t define myself by a disease.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uniquelymade
Stats: tight 18/20 Now 10
WOE: Whole foods Low Carb
I do best when I don't eat any of the following........

Wheat
Gluten
All Grains
Chocolate w/ sugar
Sugar
Nuts
Nightshade foods
Nitrates
Soy
All Dairy even butter
Legumes
All Artificial sweetners

I don't seem to react to chocolate in a protein shake or in a recipe with xylitol.
I'm also ok with a little corn.
uniquelymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It has been responded to and I see no reason to continue the discussion, just wanted to let
y'all know that this was a typo.
I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't irritated or upset by your Q and I hope my answer didn't sound pissy or anything. I wasn't feeling pissy, I promise!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I spent a good chunk of my adult life with heartburn, constant swelling & bloating, at least 10 years with rosacea and acne from 10 years old to 42. I blamed this and that and took different meds to try to help the symptoms.

A friend found out she was allergic to wheat and her symptoms sounded similar to mine, so I quit wheat and it all went away.

After I figured it out, my mom reminded me that I had stomach aches all the time as a kid. She took me to doctor after doctor and eventually they told her I was making it up to get attention. None of them ever mentioned an allergy to her. She believed me, but didn't know what to do.

I did the IgE test and tested higher than wheat on several things. I did a period of elimination for each thing and found dairy makes me stuffy. Eggs were really high, but I can't feel a difference with or without them.
Interesting!! Well it's awesome that you finally figured it out. Looking back, I have had terrible sinus issues all my life... including two sinus surgeries (not fun). I get 3-4 BAD sinus infections each year. In the last couple months, my congestion and sinus issues have improved dramatically. I am very interested to see how my seasonal allergies and sinues issues will be going into spring and then fall, when they are the WORST. Wouldn't it be crazy if it was wheat all along? I have several other food allergies, but was never tested for wheat until just a couple months ago.

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Rice. Every time I eat rice I have all kinds of problems. And this is any rice: white rice, jasmine rice, brown rice, etc. Typically rice will make me very, very tired and sleepy. Every time I do a 3-hour blood glucose test after eating rice though, I'm always in a healthy range and I have ruled out diabetes.

So I'm not exactly sure why rice does this to me. I'm chalking it up to it being such a high-glycemic index food though; it's probably triggering a huge amount of insulin production in my body which is what keeps my blood sugars under control. Anyone else have trouble with rice?
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote