Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
My DH wants to do LC

OMGosh I am SO excited!

First off, he knows it works. He's lost weight in the past on LC with exercise. But he fell off the wagon and has halfheartedly tried to get back up but he's just ended up gaining. He has diabetes type II which is moderately controlled with medicine and he knows LC will help his BG. I've been having great success controlling my appetite and hypoglycemia and he sees that too.

However, he is a gout sufferer and tends to have kidney stones so these 2 conditions have kept him from fully embracing a LC WOE. But he knows he has to do something so we've been looking for a WOE that can be a life thing and not a temporary diet. Everything we read says LC needs to be it because of the diabetes. But the kidney and gout issues freak us out.

Well I've been talking to him about some LC diets (like nutritional ketosis) and how it is not "high protein" but "moderate" protein with high fat so he's less worried about his kidneys. There's still that fear though. I know that Atkins style diets are fine for people with normal kidney function which he has, but he's not 100% convinced it won't mess with kidney stones. He also does not want to have more kidney stones develop (he's even had to have surgery for very large ones) so he's been gun-shy about LC.

The gout is a little more tricky. We've read that ketosis frees up the uric acid in the system and can cause an acute attack but that risk goes away after the initial "shock". Dr. Michael Eades mentioned using lots of water and magnesium and folate to help the body to excrete the uric acid.

I just wanted to share my excitement, get support, and see if anyone had advice on the kidney or gout issues. We know it will help his diabetes, might not affect his kidney issues, and will possibly flare his gout. Kidney stones and gout are very, very painful conditions. But diabetes and excess weight have their own big bad problems down the road.

That you for reading this book. I'm so excited for him to start but worried too. Seeing him doubled over in pain from a kidney stone or gout is terrifying. But I want my Babyhead to be around a long time, and I think that a LC WOE can help to make that possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
That is great! My BF is doing LC with me and he already says he's feeling better and he is down almost 5 lbs. Our goals, which also includes losing weight, is to both get off Blood Pressure meds and acid reflux pills.

I wish you and your DH great success!
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
woohoo we have a convert.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
He sounds very similar to my DH, though my DH doesn't have kidney stones. DH has a bad gout attack last October and thought he had broken his foot it was so bad. That precipitated a doctor visit. He had been trying to control his gout with herbal/natural supplements (like celery seed and tumeric) but apparently it wasn't working. He went back on allopurinol and also has indomethacin for flare-ups.

From the doctor's visit, he also found out he is type II diabetic which is what caused both of us to start on the low-carb diet. DH had lost a lot of weight on Atkins years ago but gained it back after going back to carbs. He lost about 70 lbs. a couple of years ago on a low calorie diet but got stalled and gave up, gained it all back. We are both losing now, 30 lbs. for me and about 33 or so for him in 10 weeks. DH also found out he is at least somewhat hypothyroid. Turns out his mother and sister both are as well, which we weren't aware of before. He isn't treating that yet though he has just decided to start iodine supplementation.

As for the gout he did have one short-lasting attack since he started low carb, but nothing early on. He realized it was because he ate a lot of ham several days in a row. So he's avoiding processed pork now, though he does eat fresh pork maybe once a week. To help control the gout, he is taking a supplement once a day called Greens First, which is alkalinizing. You can do the same thing with the types of vegetables you eat, but it is a more controlled form and DH counts the carbs in it in his daily carb count (I think it has 6 per serving, and is sweetened with stevia). If your DH hasn't looked into alkalinizing food/supplements that would be a good thing to check out. Most of the foods are very compatible with a low carb diet. DH is also avoiding all sweeteners and sugar alcohols except for the stevia in the Greens First, as he found they were stalling him. He is generally following The Diabetes Diet and by Dr. Richard Bernstein. We have both of his books (the other one is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution). If you or your DH hasn't read them I highly recommend them.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 01-27-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
He sounds very similar to my DH, though my DH doesn't have kidney stones. DH has a bad gout attack last October and thought he had broken his foot it was so bad. That precipitated a doctor visit. He had been trying to control his gout with herbal/natural supplements (like celery seed and tumeric) but apparently it wasn't working. He went back on allopurinol and also has indomethacin for flare-ups.

From the doctor's visit, he also found out he is type II diabetic which is what caused both of us to start on the low-carb diet. DH had lost a lot of weight on Atkins years ago but gained it back after going back to carbs. He lost about 70 lbs. a couple of years ago on a low calorie diet but got stalled and gave up, gained it all back. We are both losing now, 30 lbs. for me and about 33 or so for him in 10 weeks. DH also found out he is at least somewhat hypothyroid. Turns out his mother and sister both are as well, which we weren't aware of before. He isn't treating that yet though he has just decided to start iodine supplementation.

As for the gout he did have one short-lasting attack since he started low carb, but nothing early on. He realized it was because he ate a lot of ham several days in a row. So he's avoiding processed pork now, though he does eat fresh pork maybe once a week. To help control the gout, he is taking a supplement once a day called Greens First, which is alkalinizing. You can do the same thing with the types of vegetables you eat, but it is a more controlled form and DH counts the carbs in it in his daily carb count (I think it has 6 per serving, and is sweetened with stevia). If your DH hasn't looked into alkalinizing food/supplements that would be a good thing to check out. Most of the foods are very compatible with a low carb diet. DH is also avoiding all sweeteners and sugar alcohols except for the stevia in the Greens First, as he found they were stalling him. He is generally following The Diabetes Diet and by Dr. Richard Bernstein. We have both of his books (the other one is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution). If you or your DH hasn't read them I highly recommend them.
Thank you for the thoughtful response! We'll look into those books for him.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My DH has had a lot of success with LC, but he doesn't have kidney & gout issues.

One thing I have noticed is most men don't have to be as low carb as we gals do to be successful. If he is worried about protein, base his diet on veggies, add liberal fats (this is easy if likes dairy) and use meat as more of a side dish.

An example might be a casserole with cauliflower, cheese and some chicken. Or fajita type stir fry with a lot of onions & peppers & oil, with a few beef strips. Eat it in a bowl with sour cream, avocado and salsa, or a LC tortilla (my DH does fine with even 2-3 per day, I would not).

Breakfast could be full fat Greek yogurt and low GI fruit. Or LC bread toast with a nut butter. They all have some protein, but not like bacon & eggs do.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cantare
Stats: 341/208/190?
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: April 2011
IIRC, in Art & Science of Low Carb Living Phinney & Volek write that each crossing into (& out of?) ketosis is associated with a transitory uric acid "spike". No direct experience with gout here, but in view of that, and in view of the "men don't have to be as low carb as we gals do to be successful" point just made, your H may want to be very deliberate about his approach and stick to one side of the line or the other where nutritional ketosis is concerned.

FWIW, even as a borderline T2D (41yo male) I lost all my weight on 50-120 g total carb daily and have drifted into ketogenic levels of carb intake only occasionally. Made me happy, as you definitely have more dietary options if you can tolerate more carbs. I never wasted my allowance on wheat/sugar/etc cheats, but it's nice not to have to freak out over 'hidden' carbs in cream & cheese, or worry about having a carrot on your salad!

Last edited by cantare; 01-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: add info
cantare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
I suffer very regular kidney stones (calcium oxalate). I've never seen an increase due to LC nor from the mega-ketosis I went into after my WLS. The keys are lots and lots and lots of water and making sure you take a good calcium citrate supplement. The calcium binds with oxalate (which on a low carb diet you are somewhat less likely to be eating, but watch the spinach) in the gut where is goes throu the much larger intestines instead of combining in the blood and needing to be filtered through the kidneys.

Note: if his stones aren't calcium oxalate, ignore everything I said. I also can't help wrt gout.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for the advice and assurance. We appreciate it so much! LCF is awesome!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
YAY! So happy for you and your DH!

My DH also has gout - though he only very rarely gets a flare up and does not take any medication regularly for the condition. So I would imagine that it's a mild case.

I asked him if he's noticed any problems since starting this WOE and he said that the first week or so there was some tenderness in his foot/ankle that he thought was going to develop into something, but it never materialized.

As an aside, when he was diagnosed with gout, the doctor told him that a great way to avoid flareups is to be sure to stay well hydrated and drink at least 64oz of water a day - more if eating a meal that was heavy in protein. As we've started on this WOE, he has increased his water to approximately 100 oz per day, and I think that may have helped.

It's so much easier to eat this way when your partner does as well.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JQuintero
Stats: 268/206/?
WOE: LFL
Start Date: Every morning
Yay!

Hubby joined me and started LCing Jan 7th. He is a Type 2 who was on insulin. We both are LCing through the Lindora (Lean for Life) clinics here in Southern California. Not even a week into the program he was already having to stop his nightly insulin injections. His A1C had dropped a point. His blood pressure has also started to come down. While he is seeing the Lindora nurse practioner on a weekly basis, he is waiting to see HIS doctor in regards to changing his bp meds. We just started our 4th week and he is down 12lbs.

The first week in he apologized for sabotaging me on the weekends. It really does make a difference now that he is on plan.