Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Change of diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795518-change-diet.html)

Sting 01-27-2013 03:29 AM

Change of diet

I just wanted to get some advice my for mom she is 75 and has always been on a high carb diet.

Lately she has a liver infection she's about 20 pounds overweight but she is a small lady.

Every morning her and day go into town 7am where she has a class with others and she does swimming and exercise etc for her knees shes had many operations.

They do this till 9.30 or so than off into the shopping center where they meet up with other pensioners and have lunch dad don't do the exercise he usually plays chess while shes doing her swimming :-) loves his chess lol he actually beat the world champ at chess 30 years ago don't get him started lol

anyway for lunch they have friend chips potato cakes all that type of stuff cakes sweets etc everyday.

Breakfast is toasts and coffee with sugar etc

Dinner she has bread and more bread her diet would be 80% breads pastry etc.

So was just thinking as every time she seem just tired liver infection lately which she went into hospital.

Throughout her life she has been on lots of medications too much but having so many operations knees back etc shes been used to tablets.

Anyway i mentioned to her LCHF shes not a diabetic when i have sometimes checked her with the meter she has been 6.5 6.7 after meals.

Mainly just asking as a few pounds less would help her knees and feel less tired all the time and maybe the breads high carbs having less would help her also.

But im not sure because she has been doing carbs all her life and im thinking maybe a sudden changeat her age might not be a good thing maybe it would so thought i get some advice here.

any advice would be appreciated

amundson 01-27-2013 04:14 AM

This sounds really hard. My thought would be that it would be unrealistic to have her eat strictly low carb. How about asking her to give up sugar and flour (or wheat), or to cut back on them at least?

theredhead 01-27-2013 06:21 AM

My mom read Wheat Belly recently and it made her realize that eating wheat makes her feel bad. She's made the commitment to cut back a lot, although she hasn't given it up completely. She can tell the difference in the way she feels. Baby steps....

cfine 01-27-2013 06:44 AM

My family is now living with my Mom and Dad because of my Mom's health. Although it kills me to see some of the things that they eat on a daily basis, I have to keep in mind that they are elderly and not inclined to change. As much as I would love to see certain changes because I know that it would help with some of their physical ailments, I keep my thoughts and opinions mainly to myself.

I don't know you or your parents, but most seniors don't like us telling them what to do or how to do it. Maybe your parents are different though. I know, for me, their is NO WAY that my parents are giving up their bread, pasta, crackers, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, milk, etc. When my parents were in their prime, all of the "health experts" aka our federal government, was coming out with the cholesterol is bad for you, don't eat the eggs, cheese, butter, fat! You get my point. Now, they are not going to change their opinion no matter what I say.

I sincerely hope that your parents would be more inclined to listen to what you have to say. Just don't be surprised if they look at you like you've lost your mind. Wheat and sugar is a powerful drug, and most people don't want to give it up. Don't take it personally if they don't decide to take your advice.

lterry913 01-27-2013 07:36 AM

Seeing she has knee problems...I would ask her to do an experiment and cut the wheat, sugar and starches for a while...it may help reduce inflammation in her joints...ask her to do it for a week as an experiment and maybe she will feel better and try and keep it up.

Sting 01-27-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16222105)
My family is now living with my Mom and Dad because of my Mom's health. Although it kills me to see some of the things that they eat on a daily basis, I have to keep in mind that they are elderly and not inclined to change. As much as I would love to see certain changes because I know that it would help with some of their physical ailments, I keep my thoughts and opinions mainly to myself.

I don't know you or your parents, but most seniors don't like us telling them what to do or how to do it. Maybe your parents are different though. I know, for me, their is NO WAY that my parents are giving up their bread, pasta, crackers, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, milk, etc. When my parents were in their prime, all of the "health experts" aka our federal government, was coming out with the cholesterol is bad for you, don't eat the eggs, cheese, butter, fat! You get my point. Now, they are not going to change their opinion no matter what I say.

I sincerely hope that your parents would be more inclined to listen to what you have to say. Just don't be surprised if they look at you like you've lost your mind. Wheat and sugar is a powerful drug, and most people don't want to give it up. Don't take it personally if they don't decide to take your advice.

yep understand but mom actually wants to do it herself one to lose a few pounds and two to feel better if possible from the diet shes willing to try it but i just wasn't sure about the sudden change but as amundson and theredhead said baby steps and if she likes it keep doing it if not stop.

Sting 01-27-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16222223)
Seeing she has knee problems...I would ask her to do an experiment and cut the wheat, sugar and starches for a while...it may help reduce inflammation in her joints...ask her to do it for a week as an experiment and maybe she will feel better and try and keep it up.

yeah thanks this is what i will tell her

cfine 01-27-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

yep understand but mom actually wants to do it herself one to lose a few pounds and two to feel better if possible from the diet shes willing to try it but i just wasn't sure about the sudden change but as amundson and theredhead said baby steps and if she likes it keep doing it if not stop.
Great!! I am so glad that she actually wants to do it. That makes things easier.