Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nicci
Plz help feel like giving up conflicting advise

Hi there I have been doing the low carb /keto thing for 2 weeks became really ill one day and fell off it so starting again here is what I've been TOLD to do........

Eat a ratio of 65/30/15 eating on or under the carbs for me is easy but I can't seem to get my 65% fat right and 35% protein right I either go under or over !!!

My questions are if I want a chicken breast for dinner here's how it loans out in my plan its 38g if protein that only leaves me 30g protein left if I have any form of kale, broc, cauli with it it takes me higher so when I plan out my meals first thing I look at my main meal for the day (dinner) and think right I don't seem to have any protein left for the early part of the day as everything seems to have protein in it like 2 eggs 12.8g protein 2 bacon 16.1g protein my grammes in fat, protein, and carbs work out like this 86g of fat 69g of protein and 15g of carbs according to the online tracker website.

I always feel hungry and never seem to have any option for snacks or extras am I doing something wrong ??? I have to decide in the morning whether to have breakfast (9am) then wait for dinner (7pm) starving by then or lunch (12-1pm) then dinner (7pm) my menu normally goes like this

Breakfast 2 eggs 2 bacon
Dinner green leafy salad can of tuna possibly an egg and a tbsp of mayo

That's it, it leaves me with headaches feeling hungry and disheartened my calorie intake is around 1200

I'm sooooo fed up right now, also my other questions do I have to count the cream I have in coffee and the butter or oil that I use for cooking if so my food intake will be even less !!!

I drink 2 litres of water a day and have 2-3 tbsps of coconut oil, why is it everyone else is losing masses of weight and seem to be eating a lot, when its not the case for me I lost 1 pound in one week grrrrr not what I was hoping for :0( here are my stats can anyone help me cos so called expert and senior low carbers have got me eating like this (or rather not eating lol) and I'm not winning just making myself miserable.

I am 153lbs
5ft
35 years old
And MISERABLE

Many thanks Nicci
Nicci is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sting
Are you restricting calories?
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Sounds like she is.

Nicci, are you trying to do Atkins? The first two weeks are not for restricting calories, they're for getting into ketosis. Follow the plan as written, eat from the allowed foods list, don't skip meals, don't obsess over protein grams, don't restrict calories. Eat clean foods, don't restrict fat, drink lots of water. Once you've eaten that way for two weeks straight, no deviations, see what that does for you.

If you go into it restricting calories and skipping meals, you're setting yourself up for disaster.

If you're not doing Atkins, what are you doing? Where did you get 38g of protein?
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I would go crazy if I had to figure out ratios, because I stink at math. Instead, I keep it simple. I eat meat, eggs, some cheese, green veggies and fats. After a few weeks I added nuts, berries and a few items here and there like a low carb tortilla wrap. Lost about 15 pounds the first month and now lose a pound or two a week. It is so easy to stick to.

I don't worry about my calories right now. As long as I keep losing, I'm not going to bother counting them.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Hi there thank you sooooo much for your fast responses I am not intentionally restricting calories that's the guide that others have give me that the 1200 is adequate for my ratios I've been told to count everything and when I do I have to keep juggling things around to get it right I drink so much water it makes my belly feel wobbly and swishy they have made me feel so paranoid about eating freely and based on the advise that they have given me I don't even know if I'm doing Atkins or Keto I do have a nice purple reading on my ketostix though I don't want to enter starvation mode thank you so much you are making me feel a whole lot better about things........Nicci x
Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

The 38g of protein is what is contained in 1 chicken breast well that's what the online tracker tells me when I scan the chicken box and put in my grams to eat it comes back with contains 38g protein........Is doing the Keto diet the same as Atkins and which would better suit???

Also how do I get my calories up without going over my fat and protein allowance ???? And is there a set amount of fat and protein not to go over ?? And yes I am going crazy adding everything up Evey 5 mins is a real pain.......
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I suggest you research the Atkins induction plan. Keto isn't the same thing.

In my opinion, counting fat/protein/carb grams will drive you nuts if you start with that kind of program. I think keto-style food plans are good for people who are familiar with Atkins/low carbing, because it allows them to manage their foods closely to get the most out of their plan. I think a person who is new to low carbing will be driven nuts by all of the ratios on the keto plan.

I and others would be happy to help you find info on Atkins, if that's the plan you want to do.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Wow! What you are trying to do -- give everything from macro-nutrients to calories a number and eat to that number -- does not resemble ANY LC plan I'm aware of.

If you're hungry, you're doing it wrong. ESPECIALLY in the beginning, it is important to eat to satisfy hunger.

If you're hungry all the time, and not eating when you are, you're telling your body there isn't enough food to go around.

Who are these "others" who are giving you such complicated advice?

My advice would be to pick up a book and read it. The general advice for starting LC is to limit CARBS -- on Aktins, down to 20 net carbs a day or less -- and otherwise, EAT when hungry, with no initial limits on fat, protein, or calories.

Later, many of us will tinker with our ratios (and sometimes calories) to optimize loss...

Since the oil you cook in has no carbs, it doesn't "count".

The cream in your coffee count as 1 carb (unless you're using a lot!)

KISS --Keep It Simple, Silly.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Are you counting total grams allowed or are you dealing with % of total calorie intake? The 65/30/15 should not be totals but rather % of calories from the three nutrients. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

Last edited by Biochic; 01-26-2013 at 05:10 AM..
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
atkins is a modified ketogenic diet.

atkins gives you more freedom, rungs on a ladder to climb to re-introduce carbs back and gives the ketogenic diet a structure.

you are way over thinking this big time.

You need to split up about 10 ounces of protein thru the whole day. Don't go under 60grams of fat for the day.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
You're getting yourself into a spin, dear.

Atkins does not include doing ratios. On Atkins, you keep carbs (or net carbs) under 20 g per day, follow the approved food lists, and follow a few quantity restrictions for certain foods (allowed veggies, cheese, cream, avocado, etc). You eat freely to satisfaction of protein foods such as meat, poultry, and fish. You get about 3 cups a day of good low carb veggies.

The keto diets deal with ratios and set limits on protein and carb and total calories. They emphasize good fats.

I think it would be really really hard to do an Atkins food plan while using keto ratios, because the total calories would be really low. I couldn't do it at the start of an Atkins eating plan. I think I could do keto after I had been on Atkins for a while, but I don't think I'd like it.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Ah sweetie I can see why you'd feel like giving up! Please get Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book and read it from start to finish then follow his Induction 100%. I have been on LC since May 21st and down 57 lbs. It's been a struggle at times and yes i've ended up having to modify my diet some lately since id been stalled a few months but it's So worth it!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Personally, since you're hungry and not feeling well, I'd forget the % for a few days and just eat until you're satisfied (restricting carbs only) of the allowed foods.
It may be easier to adjust your % once you're firmly into ketosis and your body has adjusted.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Nicci,

I don't think there is any need for you to be restricting protein at this point in time and maybe never. As has been suggested, get the Atkins book and follow that plan and forget percentages, calorie restriction and simply do the plan.

This is what appears to work well for many people and to add complications of weighting and measuring and restricting seems entirely unnecessary. Remember that if you feel sick, it is likely that you need to drink regular chicken broth and it is a good thing to do as a preventative. Make your own or buy the ready made but make sure it is not 'low sodium' as it is the sodium you need. Two cups minimum per day.

Let us know how you do and enjoy!!

Actually, this is an link to an article posted in another thread (thanks Al!!) that would be helpful to you, I think...

http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/upl...e-Feb-2011.pdf

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 01-26-2013 at 06:34 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
The Atkins website has some great information that will help you out. Go and have a look. HTH.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Are you counting total grams allowed or are you dealing with % of total calorie intake? The 65/30/15 should not be totals but rather % of calories from the three nutrients. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong.
I feel that she was confusing grams with percentages also...I agree with those above who say pick a plan,read the book and stick to the food list it provides you...if you choose Atkins' you can google the induction list or it might be in our sticky tabs...Induction is usually 2 weeks, some stay on longer...do not let yourself go hungry and drink enough water or fluids to keep you from being thirsty...too much water can deplete elctrolytes and make you uncomfortable as you said...who wants to live like that?
Keep it simple any worry about modifying when you can't seem to get to goal if that ever happens...I didn't have to worry about percentages too much and a food tracking program will help you figure out percentages if you need to...
Most of all don't confuse grams of protein with percent of protein.
If you log on t the Atkins site and join as a new member they will send you a guide with carb counts, coupons and some free bars...what could it hurt...but until then if you choose Atkins...find the induction food list and go from there...

Keep us posted on how it is going.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back

Last edited by lterry913; 01-26-2013 at 09:42 AM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/210/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
It depends on your goals.

Do you want to feel better and lose weight? Eat low carb food to hunger. Ride that as long as it works. If it stops working (it does for some, but not all folks), you may have to do some calorie counting or tweaking.

If you have other goals, like keto-adaptation for endurance sports, then it may make sense for you to track ratios and such. If not, I wouldn't bother.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Based on your stats, and I think your goals, you should be following the atkins diet. Keto diets, which are similar to atkins, are for more than just simple weight loss. The atkins diet which was developed by professional doctors will get you where you need to be. If you haven't read the atkins book, the new revolution. Pick it up and read it cover to cover, it is the best investment you'll ever make. I hope I'm not biased though, I just really like the basis behind the atkins diet.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Michalea
wow way overthinking, do what feels good! if it doesn't feel good don't do it. just make the commitment, visualize where you want to be and stop thinking so much, you'll create a problem that was never there, just go with it. you can do it!
Michalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
yes, pick up the 1972 version of Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution. i had an "original" one when i first did lc in 1980, but gave it away about 10-15 years ago. i finally broke down and bought a used one on amazon. sure glad i did. it explains everything in it you need to get started and it has recipes and meal plans too.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Wow! What you are trying to do -- give everything from macro-nutrients to calories a number and eat to that number -- does not resemble ANY LC plan I'm aware of.

If you're hungry, you're doing it wrong. ESPECIALLY in the beginning, it is important to eat to satisfy hunger.

If you're hungry all the time, and not eating when you are, you're telling your body there isn't enough food to go around.

Who are these "others" who are giving you such complicated advice?

My advice would be to pick up a book and read it. The general advice for starting LC is to limit CARBS -- on Aktins, down to 20 net carbs a day or less -- and otherwise, EAT when hungry, with no initial limits on fat, protein, or calories.

Later, many of us will tinker with our ratios (and sometimes calories) to optimize loss...

Since the oil you cook in has no carbs, it doesn't "count".

The cream in your coffee count as 1 carb (unless you're using a lot!)

KISS --Keep It Simple, Silly.
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/181/135
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
my advice would be to relax and stick to ONLY counting carbs for now. you can add in counting calories and/or protein later if necessary but for now don't consider those things. ONLY carbs and don't be afraid of fat and calories. you can adjust that if you need. no reason to start out trying to control and limit everything at once.
stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/216/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
There is NO WAY that I could have done the nutritional ketosis in the beginning of my weight loss. Atkin's is the way to go in the beginning.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
OMG... I would be going crazy trying to follow that diet!!

I wish I could reach out through the computer and give you a big hug.... all this stress isnt necessary!!

I have NEVER counted percentages or any of that. Most people who follow Atkins just eat from the allowed foods list and count carbs, and do really well if they follow the plan. Unless, you are trying to do a diet for a child with epilepsy, where the ketosis is crucial, I dont see the point in obsessing about the percentages. I think for your own sanity, you need to adopt a much more simple approach, as suggested by many others above.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I second the suggestion to get a book and follow the plan, or do your own research and personalize a program. It's never a good idea to let others do your thinking for you.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote