Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   talk to me about canned coconut milk benefits (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795378-talk-me-about-canned-coconut-milk-benefits.html)

luvmybabyhead 01-25-2013 09:42 AM

talk to me about canned coconut milk benefits

I put this in my coffee just now and YUMMO! It's rich and creamy and slightly coconutty. :heart: I am in heaven!

Does this have the same benefits as CO? I know some people add it to their coffee but I wasn't a fan of CO in my coffee. However I LOVE the canned coconut milk in my coffee!

I'm wondering what else I should try to do with this little canned miracle. :hyst:

Arctic_Mama 01-25-2013 09:45 AM

I'd do a search through these forums for "coconut milk", that should yield you both information and recipes. It's a great food in a low carb diet.

Gilded Lily 01-25-2013 11:00 AM

I just opened a can in response to this thread. How do I store what is left? In the fridge?

luvmybabyhead 01-25-2013 11:31 AM

Yes, store it in the fridge in a different container (not the can).

Dottie 01-25-2013 11:50 AM

You can freeze it in ice cube trays too:)

Coconut milk is great:) But it doesn't have all the same benefits as straight oil because it's not pure oil.

Gilded Lily 01-25-2013 12:02 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking I will freeze some and use it in smoothies.

picklepete 01-25-2013 06:43 PM

I cut yogurt with it, or make hot cocoa.

The main benefit is that my coworkers leave it alone. When I used to stock half and half it would steadily vanish.

Dottie 01-25-2013 06:50 PM

I like the taste in coffee. For me, 1-2T of coconut milk is all it needs, there's a natural mild sweetness to it:)

soon 01-26-2013 10:15 AM

Pickle Pete that is a great ide to thin out yougurt thanks.

synger 01-27-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16219821)
I cut yogurt with it, or make hot cocoa.

The main benefit is that my coworkers leave it alone. When I used to stock half and half it would steadily vanish.

Hmm.. I may need to try this! I have learned to drink my coffee black at work because I can't keep cream in the fridge without it "evaporating", and I don't want to use powdered creamers.

picklepete 01-27-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synger (Post 16222447)
Hmm.. I may need to try this! I have learned to drink my coffee black at work because I can't keep cream in the fridge without it "evaporating", and I don't want to use powdered creamers.

Exactly. There's always plenty of Coffeemate, but the ingredient list is almost like a parody of terrible processed food.

GME 01-27-2013 10:30 AM

I used to like the flavored coffee creamers, but like Picklepete said, the ingredients are junk. I always used regular cream, but recently figured out dairy is not my friend so I started using coconut creamer.

First I tried the ones that are flavored and made to be creamers. They are ok, but the ingredient lists isn't any better than Coffeemate. I started using plain canned coconut milk, but missed the flavors. Today I opened a can, put in a jar and added plain vanilla extract a liquid stevia. Gave it a good shake & yum. I use the Whole Foods brand and it must have some added stabilizers because it doesn't separate, but I have decided to live with that.

I don't go through more than a can a week, but I think next time I may divide it into smaller jars and try some other flavors. Maybe a chunk of cinnamon stick in one, some cocoa in another........ Any other ideas???.

Dottie 01-27-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synger (Post 16222447)

You can find "mini moo's" at walmart, too, and keep them in your purse or desk or wherever!

"Land O LakesŪ Mini Moo'sŪ Half & Half

Made with all-natural milk and cream, Land O LakesŪ
Mini Moo'sŪ Half & Half creamer singles are a convenient way to enjoy a perfect cup of coffee anywhere. Land O LakesŪ Mini Moo'sŪ Half & Half don't require refrigeration so they are ideal at the office or on the go. "

GME 01-27-2013 10:33 AM

I read somewhere that there is 1 tbls oil in 3 tbls cream. I also melt a tbls of oil in my coffee and then add the cream. Only to my first cup of the morning though, the rest I drink black. I occasionally make decaf at night and add cream (but no oil) to fill a desert wish.

socaligirl714 01-28-2013 02:38 PM

i made my own lil creameri used a old creamer container added coconut milk, cinnamon and a lil vanilla extract and sugar free caramel davinci... came out so good!

my husband loved the almond joy creamer so he said he wants to try coconut milk with SF chocolate davinci... hes convinced it will be as good as the almond joy creamer