Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Good Walmart Options (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795341-good-walmart-options.html)

unna 01-25-2013 02:56 AM

Good Walmart Options

What are your favorite finds at Walmart??

Background story: As many of you read in a prior post, my Dad has a very sick heart and must lose weight immediately. I flew home to help my Mother out - she has no idea how to follow through with the diet that was prescribed to him by the heart doctor:

1. lower-carb, about 100g (no sugar, no flour)
2. lean protein
3. low-sodium (2000 per day)

I've been cooking like crazy. It is really difficult to control other peoples' diets. My Mother is also on the diet. She has Multiple Sclerosis and needs to lose weight as well.

I took control of their kitchen on Monday. They had so much crap in their fridge and pantry. Its not their fault..... they just buy what the TV tells them is healthy.

To be honest, they are both trying their hardest. I am really proud of them. They still tend to overeat on very dark chocolate, nuts, and this crappy Hersheys sugar-free chocolate.

But, I don't want to take everything away from them at once. I mean - this is a complete lifestyle change, and I want them to ease into it and learn to love low-carb - I don't want them to have bad memories of it.

So, I'm trying to cook a lot of healthy, whole foods, low-carb dishes.

A problem I have is: they live in Bowling Green, MO. There is NOTHING here but a super Wal-mart.

Luckily, there is a local butcher where I've been buying good quality meat...

I'm not trying to promote Walmart.... if there was another option, I'd use it.... so I'm just curious, for those of you who also shop at Walmart on a regular basis, What does your grocery list look like????

Thanks for your help!!

Dottie 01-25-2013 03:57 AM

Well the super walmart here has a huge produce section, much larger than any other store, so I shop produce a lot at WM:)
If your dad is willing, try new veggies. There are so many low-carb acceptable options that there's no need to feel deprived.
If they have portion control problems, maybe pick up some small containers(like the 1/2 cup zip-loc types)or some small snack-size baggies and make out their proper portion sizes so they can get an idea of what the proper size is?
Ragu no-sugar added pasta sauce is good, so is their low-fat parmesan alfredo. (I've found it hard to make a good lower fat alfredo sauce, so the bottled works for me!).
Try roasting veggies tossed with olive oil for a change, too :)

unna 01-25-2013 04:29 AM

Dottie: That's a great idea about pre-portioning out their snacks.... I could easily measure out their nuts and chocolate for the day so they have a better idea regarding how much they should be eating.

Trigger828 01-25-2013 07:31 AM

yea pre-portion should help them. a baggie will let them start to see what real portion sizes are like.

I just bought a food scale. I weighed one ounce peanuts. HOLY it is like NONE LOL even I who am getting used to real portion sizes am amazed how little one ounce of something can be :)

you know that atkins in the final phase, you are up to about 80-100 g of carbs for the day. If you research their acceptable food list on the final phase it could help you out with what types of foods they should be eating.

WM should have tons of options for you definitely.

Mistizoom 01-25-2013 08:27 AM

Meat, veggies and good fats should be the staples of the diet. Those are readily available at Walmart. It does sound like a good idea to ease them into it. It sounds like you are doing a great job, they are lucky to have a daughter like you. Have you looked into the diet prescribed by Dr. Terry Wahls for your mother? She reversed her MS with it. Very similar to what you are doing, it is a low-carb paleo-ish type diet high in certain vegetables (I think).

reddarin 01-25-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16218636)
Meat, veggies and good fats should be the staples of the diet. Those are readily available at Walmart. It does sound like a good idea to ease them into it. It sounds like you are doing a great job, they are lucky to have a daughter like you. Have you looked into the diet prescribed by Dr. Terry Wahls for your mother? She reversed her MS with it. Very similar to what you are doing, it is a low-carb paleo-ish type diet high in certain vegetables (I think).

I was trying to remember her name yesterday. Thanks Mistizoom :)

Google '533: Dr. Terry Wahls Uses The Paleo Diet To Heal Her Body From Multiple Sclerosis (MS)' for a podcast with Jimmy Moore.

Here is a youtube TED talk she gave:

TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube

avid 01-25-2013 10:15 AM

with a few notable exceptions I buy all of my food at walmart.
eggs.
heavy whipping cream
meat
fish
cheese
sour cream [I add torani syrup...in the coffe aisle)
frozen veggies...
berries and fresh produce. or kale in the big bag
Avoid sauces, canned and prepared stuff ... this will reduce the sodium, and sugars
super walmart rules the retail world for a very good reason...they carry alot of products at good prices.....
You can eat very healthy at walmart...just read the labels.

Jaded62 01-25-2013 10:16 AM

Walmart has some good options.Her is a few.
Polaner sugar free with fiber jelly (grape is great,apricot is yummy)
pork rinds
tyson hot wings or steak,chicken strips
Shrimp
nut butter
Atkins Frozen Meals,bars and shakes
good produce
cheese

reddarin 01-25-2013 10:43 AM

It is a very small town. Maybe you can hook up with some free-range chicken eggs from one of the locals?