Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
LTerry - This was almost exactly my same experience! Was at the grocery store late one evening, and saw that same Reader's Digest. I picked it up and started skimming the article. I didn't buy it, but wrote down, "Gary Taubes - Why We Get Fat," on the back of my grocery list. When I got home, I looked up the book on Amazon and immediately ordered it. Two days later, I was alternately crying, shaking my fist, and saying, YES (ooh, just realized what all THAT sounds like, but really, I was just reading!). What a complete and total LIGHT BULB MOMENT(s) that absolutely changed my life and how I think about food forever. I also recommend to anyone who shows any interest in my choice of food lifestyle.
I'm so glad that I received that little book as a gift...it was a gift in more ways than one. It was the gift that kept on giving.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
That Reader's Digest article was the first step on my path to LC, too! At the time, I had lost weight on WW and I thought I knew everything about nutrition. But, my teen son read the article and seemed interested in it. It was easier for me to picture him eating bacon for breakfast than counting points and measuring his food. The seed was planted.

Next, I saw Taubes on Oz. I was impressed when Dr. Oz referred to a 250 pound person, and Taubes responded, "he wouldn't be 250, he'd be 220." It takes integrity to not promise your diet will turn everyone into a supermodel. I ordered the book from my library, but had a long wait.

I continued on WW, but the weight started to come back. One night, after yet another binge, I was feeling so big and out of control and I felt like I needed something simpler and more do-able and to quit bingeing! I got the email that my book had come in. It was seriously divine intervention, because at that moment I was ready. I read it immediately and started the next day. Hallelujah! What a blessing it has been to me! And now my son is doing it too.

Thanks, Reader's Digest!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
I'd heard about Taubes's books, but didn't know the specifics - just that they were well-respected for the science. When I read them, I'd been exercising a lot eating "healthy" (i.e., high-carb) for years without losing weight, and had pretty much resigned myself to being heavier than I wanted to be. After all, I was doing everything "right" without results. (Though I secretly thought that if I would just exercise even more, or eat even less, maybe my weight would go down ... even though I was never successful when I tried.)

I finished Why We Get Fat in one evening and started eating low-carb at my next meal. That was two months ago, and while I haven't seen the fast weight loss that others have, I'm convinced that the science is right, and it's the healthiest way to eat.

When Taubes explained that a high weight isn't a reflection of your character, it's a result of high carbs leading to high insulin, I was shocked by how long I'd believed the opposite - even though I knew that low-calorie diets fail.

And the whole explanation about how insulin resistance makes you crave carbohydrates was eye-opening! I'd always figured there was some psychological reason that I'd get the overwhelming desire for something sugary, or have trouble feeling full when I ate pasta or potatoes. But once I cut carbs, I completely stopped having those cravings. For me, carb cravings had a physiological cause all along. If only I'd known!

(I know some people continue to have carb cravings on low-carb for various reasons, and that I'm lucky not to.)
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
This book changed my life! It is what caused me to join LCF's!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I appreciate Taubes' work. The simple idea that type of food matters is still resisted by a lot of people.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #36
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
She needs to read this, so she can stop beating herself up for "allowing" herself to gain so much...

If a lab-rat pre-disposed to become fat will sacrifice its brains and organs in preference to fat-tissue when denied calories from infancy, it does not hold that fatness can POSSIBLY be a "moral failure" on her part...
YES!

Eating when you are hungry is not a moral failing!

Excess avoirdupois is not a moral failing!

These things are symptoms of an unhealthy diet (pre-marketing era dictionary definition of the word).

Your friend is why it is so important for us to set the example. To act as ambassadors for the lifestyle. Each successful low carber influences those who will follow. I was intrigued after I saw the movie Fat Head, but it was hearing from my roommate about his coworkers who lost MAJOR weight in a single year by ruthlessly cutting out the carbs that got me on this path.

The success of a friend proselytizes more powerfully than any combination of words spoken or written that will ever exist.
9/1/2014 266.8

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aussiegirl!
Stats: My Goal Is = 135
WOE: Researching HCG
Start Date: Soon!!!
Thank you so much for starting this thread, I'm not actaully new to being a low carb believer but I think up until this book I believed in my mind but not with my emotions if that makes sense.

This book explains it sooooo well that I feel like I am finally getting it. I now know I'm not crazy for or lying to myself about the fact that my skinny sister literally eats double the cals I do yet I'm 50lbs + heavier than her. The pain it has caused me to eat less than most people I know yet be the biggest has crushed my spirit over the years but this book has actually explained to me why!!!!!!!!!

Although I've been a low carber for a while I've never done it 100% due to my love affair with wine, I'm finally ready though to trade wine for thinness, so watch ou world here I come, thanks again for posting,

AussieGirl
Aussiegirl! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianda
Stats: 145/121/115; 5'3''
Great book, really cemented in my mind the idea that low carb is actually the healthiest way to eat.
dianda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I've read WWGF and Good Calories Bad Calories--both excellent books. My real light bulb moment was when I read Gary Taubes article in the New York Times--"What if its all been a big fat lie". That was my light bulb moment. Before I read that article, I followed a low carb diet and knew it worked. I had read Dr. Atikins book and knew the science behind a ketogenic diet. But Taubes books helped fill in the blanks.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
IThat was two months ago, and while I haven't seen the fast weight loss that others have, I'm convinced that the science is right, and it's the healthiest way to eat.
Actually, I'd call 20 lbs in 2 months pretty darned fast!

Remember, most folks expect to lose maybe a pound per week!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'm finally reading this book now. I'm jumping all over it, of course!

I was thinking I would just find confirmation of things I already knew (research junkie that I am, lol) but I've been pleasantly surprised. Love what I am learning is fact.

There are no words to express my anger at the self-important fools who allowed and continue to allow complete lies to dictate unhealthy nutritional guidelines in this country.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:

I agree! I've never lost as much as 10 pounds in a month, even with almost never going off plan, limiting carbs and calories, eating super clean, and doing JUDDD calorie cycling with very low calorie down days. Be very, very happy if you lose 2 pounds a week or more--that makes your losses exceptionally fast.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopewell
So glad you recommended this book. It was great and VERY informative!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!
hopewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Reading it now! I'm fascinated by the examples he supplies of obesity without overeating. The experiment that showed wt gain in lab mice when ovaries were remove! I've been a member of this website ( under a different name ) since 2001 and I had never seen this type of evidence. We know LC works but seeing the opposite side of the coin was enlightening!! Snowed in for the next 2 days. Glad to have something to read
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
So glad you recommended this book. It was great and VERY informative!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!
When you finish that book get Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. To me they are complimentary reads.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
When you finish that book get Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. To me they are complimentary reads.
I agree...and I have heard that Dr. Davis is working on a new book to follow Wheat Belly...don't know where I heard it but has anyone else heard this rumor...I heard he might be swinging towards a low carb, no wheat type way of eating.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I believe he is working on a "wheat Belly diet" book that will include recipes.
and yes, Although he calls his book/program "wheat belly" it is in fact prohibitive of all grains and is essentially a low carb plan.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

I just checked my local library for "Wheat Belly." The audio recording of the book as 36 people on the waiting list. LOL
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Someone mentioned that their library has instant mp3 downloads for audio books. Wow! What a great idea.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I just checked my local library for "Wheat Belly." The audio recording of the book as 36 people on the waiting list. LOL
The reason I went and got my own copy the wait at the library was too long.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Someone mentioned that their library has instant mp3 downloads for audio books. Wow! What a great idea.
I'm actually talking about the downloadable book. Not sure how or why an audio book (or even an e-book) that can be downloaded would have a waiting list but it sure does. I'll probably get to read/listen to it in 2016. LOL
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'm actually talking about the downloadable book. Not sure how or why an audio book (or even an e-book) that can be downloaded would have a waiting list but it sure does. I'll probably get to read/listen to it in 2016. LOL
Wups! That was it. Downloading the e-book. What an awesome service for them to provide!

Oh, the wait list is for licensing. Like, the library is licensed for 10 virtual copies of the book.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I ordered a copy of the Wheat Belly Cookbook the other day. It was available right around Christmas.

Another good book to read is "Life Without Bread".
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #55
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
My library does e audible books that are great and shortly after the book came out they went to unlimited copies which is something that usually doesn't seem to happen. I figure there must have been that much demand.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My library does e audible books that are great and shortly after the book came out they went to unlimited copies which is something that usually doesn't seem to happen. I figure there must have been that much demand.
Wow, I wish Los Angeles would do that. Phooey!!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #57
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I ordered a copy of the Wheat Belly Cookbook the other day. It was available right around Christmas.

Another good book to read is "Life Without Bread".
"Life Without Bread" is awesome!! So awesome that I renewed it numerous times from the library and finally got my own copy
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
"Life Without Bread" is awesome!! So awesome that I renewed it numerous times from the library and finally got my own copy
I put it in my Amazon basket to get later
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Quote:

Then let's just say it feels terribly slow when you see all these articles about people losing forty pounds in two months the first time they try Atkins!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
This thread is making me want to re-read the book... it's a great one. So would anyone who have read both recommend reading Good Calories Bad Calories after having read and enjoyed WWGF?
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote