Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Keto-Diastix explained (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795229-keto-diastix-explained.html)

Sting 01-24-2013 04:00 AM

Keto-Diastix explained

2nd day today on really low carb less than 17 carbs thought i just try and see too early likely :)

http://i37.tinypic.com/34hdmqr.jpg

So after 15 seconds its the 3rd one (small) so is this in ketosis or does it have to be the darkest color (Large)?? or is large too much??

Ntombi 01-24-2013 04:18 AM

Ketosis is like pregnancy: either you're in it or you're not. If you register even a trace, it's fine.

There's the occasional person who never registers a trace, but they're in ketosis. That's rare, though.

If you know that you typically register somewhere on the ketostix, then look for at least a trace and be happy anywhere it pops. If you're the rare person who never registers, throw them away.

I would bet that someone who registers large is not drinking enough water.

ETA: Don't bother testing after a truly carb-heavy meal. If you eat enough to drop you out of ketosis, your body will do a ketone dump, releasing all the ketones at once, since it'll be switching to using glucose for energy. You'll register really high for a short time, but it's actually a false positive.

Sting 01-24-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16215912)

I would bet that someone who registers large is not drinking enough water.

So is registering large too much in ketosis?

reason i ask is watching some video on youtube she says if your dark its too much so bit confused.

Ntombi 01-24-2013 04:27 AM

It's not too much in ketosis (there's no such thing, you're either in ketosis or you're not), it's that the ketones are building up in the kidneys, because you likely aren't peeing very often. The ketostix measure the number of ketones in the urine, and if you don't pee, you're not excreting them. If you get dehydrated, your body holds on to water, which means it's also building up the waste ketones.

If someone drinks enough water, it's not often that they'll register large on the ketostix, because that person is peeing at least several times per day.

Sting 01-24-2013 04:37 AM

Sorry let me just get this right haha if someone is drinking plenty of water and peeing regularly one should be aiming for the lighter colors not the darker if they want to be in ketosis? Sry for the questions :-)

Where i am getting confused is you mentioned its not too much in ketosis if its the darkest color but if you are large (Dark) your likely dehydrated? which sounds not ideal like its too much but than as i understand its not too much.....now i even confused myself :-)

Ntombi 01-24-2013 04:52 AM

Just look for any positive. Anything that's not negative is fine.

There is no such thing as too much ketosis, because ketosis is like an on/off switch, you're either in it or you're not. The light isn't EXTRA on if the switch is flipped harder, it's still just on. Get it?

My point about the large reading is that if someone is not drinking much water, they won't be peeing much. If they're not peeing much, the ketones will stay in the kidneys and bladder longer, because they haven't been peed out.

Try this as a hypothetical. The numbers are completely fake.

If my body will excrete 100 ketones in a 24 hour period, and I pee 5 times, I will release an average of 20 ketones in each urination. Right? If I only pee 3 times, I'll release 33 in each. If I'm a big water drinker, and pee 10 times in a day, I'll release 10 ketones each time. Each of those would register differently on the ketostix, but regardless, I'm still in ketosis.

Just look for anything, from trace to large.

Sting 01-24-2013 05:04 AM

Ntombi thanks for explaining in detail for silly me ;)

Ntombi 01-24-2013 05:50 AM

You're welcome. :)

Sting 01-24-2013 08:15 AM

http://i.imgur.com/JV8zuaA.png

This is the type of stuff that confused me

Ketone Test Explained.

emel 01-24-2013 08:22 AM

If ketones are showing up in your urine with a standard, non-low carb diet and you are a diabetic, it could be a signal of trouble.

If you are not diabetic and are using ketosticks to guage your body's progress on the goal of entering ketosis on purpose, the purple reading is not a danger sign. A deep purple is a danger sign for diabetics who are eating normally.

If you ARE a diabetic and only started using ketosticks to guage your body's progress on the goal of entering ketosis on purpose, check with your doctor if you have concerns about how ketosis might affect your diabetes and your doctor's care of your diabetes.

(Other people might want to go to a doctor to discuss ketosis for their own set of health issues, too.)

drjlocarb 01-24-2013 08:27 AM

:welcome: Zeda.

The keto stick were marketed for diabetics to test for KETOACIDOSIS.

We are not worried about that if we are not diabetic. We are testing to see if we are producing ketones as a sign of fat metabolism (dietary ketosis).

Sting 01-24-2013 08:28 AM

:confused::stars::confused::stars::confused:

Sting 01-24-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16216530)
:welcome: Zeda.

The keto stick were marketed for diabetics to test for KETOACIDOSIS.

We are not worried about that if we are not diabetic. We are testing to see if we are producing ketones as a sign of fat metabolism (dietary ketosis).

I'm type 2 diabetic

Ntombi 01-24-2013 10:35 AM

Ketoacidosis is a problem that type I diabetics need to be leery of.

Ketosis as a dietary state is fine for non-diabetics and type II diabetics.

Don't worry about that warning. If you're doing a ketogenic diet, you want to shed ketones in your urine. It's not a dangerous thing for type II diabetics on Atkins. I promise.

Have you read the book? It explains ketostix very well. Also ketosis vs. ketoacidosis.

Sting 01-24-2013 09:16 PM

Ntombi no haven't read the book

Wiki is where i read about it regarding type 2 diabetes and some other sites

http://i.imgur.com/vJCTF41.png

Link to wiki Diabetic ketoacidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ntombi 01-24-2013 10:31 PM

Yes, I know it's possible, but it's highly improbable.

There is a huge difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. HUGE.

I strongly suggest you read the book. It's available at libraries everywhere.

Sting 01-24-2013 10:48 PM

ok np thanks again