Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by determinator View Post
Let me clarify the "lean" meats and what it actually does in your body... While trying to burn excess carbs, especially starting a low carb or no carb diet, it is essential to use lean meats in the first phase, to deplete your stored carbs. Fat, whether digested or stored, will burn after carbs, but digesting fat will burn before stored fat. The post is about not having success after changing a diet, and while some fat (proportionately differentiates with different people) can be a huge culprit. "Healthy" fats are fats that actually help elevate HDL levels which in turn lower the bad LDL levels. Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated are the best "good" fats that combat diseases of the heart, liver and other areas... "good" fats can be found in walnuts, fatty fishes (especially for the omega-3 benefits) as an example. The really yummy parts of animal meat, dark meat chicken, fatty cuts of steak and such are loaded with saturated fats, which really have little beneficial value and is what adds to the pounds. To put it clearly, to maintain a healthy weight, your TOTAL fat % should be right around 25%, while most people consume so much more, but to LOSE weight, you do actually have to limit a fat intake, much more so at the start than during progression. I hope that this clarifies things a bit as to why limiting fat intake is very key to a successful weight loss (but never completely eliminate, your body does need it to survive )
We have to get away from this low fat mentality. We need the fat. We need the cholesterol. Atkins is a high fat - mod protein - low carb way of eating.
Bernsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC

I followed the convential wisdom for about 14 years. I ate very little red meat,
high carb in the form of whole grains, low fat, no eggs or saturated fats.
I could never get out of 'overweight' and was required to take two different blood meds.
After only 3 months on LC...I dropped almost 15 pounds and my lipid profile improved in EVERY category.
The enemy to health is CARBS.................
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #33

Gallery: Passion68
Stats: 294/268.8/145 5'5"
WOE: 20 carbs/Lcal
Start Date: 01/02/2012
Leslie, I don't see beverages listed, but make sure you are drinking plenty of water! I find I lose quicker if I drink at least 8 8oz glasses daily.
Passion68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
avid---I am so glad you posted about how your numbers improved, how much better your body feels. it is good to hear about LC results that make a huge change in someone's life. and only 3 months to achieve that success! great posts.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote