LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
Confusion, and keeping it simple

I feel like I've learned so much over the past 10 years about eating LC. When I first started atkins in 2003, I had no idea that fat was such an important part of this woe. For the longest time I thought it was a high protein diet. However, even with that I did really well and lost 40lbs, until I got pregnant and let go of the "diet." Over the years I've restarted lc a gazillion and one times, and each time I come on over to LCF and read great advice and learn more about why this woe works and why I need to do it for life.

But.....the more I learn I feel like I'm more and more confused. Back in 2003 it was simple for me. Eat meat, cheese, eggs, salad, and every saturday I had a high carb meal. I didn't drink, not even lc drinks, I walked every night with my neighbors, no lc franken foods, and no substitutes. Of course in 2003 I had no children in the house, just me and my healthy eating dh. Now I have junk food at my disposal, which I have actually gotten pretty good at resisting, I really don't even want the crackers or cereal anymore.

My biggest problem now is too much knowledge. I want to go back to 2003 and keep it simple, back to when I hated onions (I absolutely love them now and could easily over do it), back to when I kept my carb count simple.

So this is my oath to myself and I challenge anyone with similar issues, let's keep it simple, I read someone else wrote KISS, keep it simple stupid.

I can and will do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
KISS -- Keep It Simple, Silly.

Pick a book, read it and follow it. The book gives you the knowledge and explanation, so that you know how and when to tweak things.

If you love a particular menu pattern... then go with it. The fact that there are more ideas out there that other people have used doesn't mean YOU need to.

The first couple times I tried to start back up post-kids, it didn't work. At one point, my son was still stuffing bits of food in my mouth for me. How are you supposed to tell a baby that apples are good for HIM, but not for MOMMY? ~chuckles~

Yes, there's lots of information... I like being informed... But that doesn't mean you need to over-think your eating.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 200's/1st. Goal Wt: 199 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb My Way!
Start Date: Monday! :)
Simple, Slow & Steady works too! Find what works for you and just stick with it! Good success to you!

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I just read about one of the reasons LC might not work as well on 2nd or 3rd tries is because we're rookies our first time around so we stick with the list of foods. On the 2nd or 3rd time around we use the tricks and tweaks and substitutes we've found, and these might slow losses.

My takeaway from that was to limit the tweaks and recipe thingies for the first couple of weeks, until I get in the groove.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
It is a simple plan. I think people spend a lot of time trying to get around the rules and eat like they used to eat. Just plan ahead and eat real food and it all works out.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wannalose
Stats: 229/208.4/155
WOE: ww/lower carb
Start Date: 2/18/10// restart 6/6/13
I compeltely agree with the keep it simple. That is why this time I have decided that I am not figuring out replacements foods, etc. The more I do that, the more it seems I am deprived. But I am NOT deprived in the slightest. Thus, i should really stop that mentality. I don;t particularly love rolls, bread etc. My substitute for pasta is spaghetti squash and that is only because i like it, and my body just cannot handle sweets. I have to stop beleiving I should make things that look, feel and taste like hi carb items. Those things are deadly to me so why should I rty to replace them. I am also trying to stick with the real foods. No frankenfoods, shakes, etc. I know they work for some, but not me.
wannalose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I just read about one of the reasons LC might not work as well on 2nd or 3rd tries is because we're rookies our first time around so we stick with the list of foods. On the 2nd or 3rd time around we use the tricks and tweaks and substitutes we've found, and these might slow losses.

My takeaway from that was to limit the tweaks and recipe thingies for the first couple of weeks, until I get in the groove.
This just blew my mind! Thanks!
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote