Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   When did others notice your loss? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795179-when-did-others-notice-your-loss.html)

Maumie 01-23-2013 10:31 AM

When did others notice your loss?

I'm an incredibly slow loser and I haven't lost a pound or an inch in weeks, yet for some reason, my friends have just started to comment on my weight loss for the first time. Could my fat have shifted in some way, making it more obvious that I'm losing?? When did other people start noticing your weight loss?

JustMe2 01-23-2013 10:46 AM

I am much heavier than you, but I have to lose about 40# before others will notice. Currently, I've lost 23# and I can tell it in my face and hands, but no one else will probably notice these. Why can't we lose it in the important places first...like my butt and stomach!!! :stars:

thealything 01-23-2013 11:11 AM

it took several months for me. I had lost almost 40 lbs by that time. I did find that it was like everyone saw it at once. then again, it takes a long time for me to lose sizes...

I also found that people noticed when I hadn't seen them for a few weeks or wore something very different from normal (like a tight t shirt). otherwise if people see you every day wearing the same clothes, they don't notice because it's such a gradual change.

congrats for getting to the point that people are noticing ;)

Darkginger 01-23-2013 11:12 AM

Well, I'm not sure anyone has noticed yet, despite the fact I'm 56lbs down, and only 15 to go to goal. If they have, they've not said anything - but I'm not really bothered about that, because I'm doing this for me and my health, not for anyone else. My husband did say 'you've done very well' when I reported my latest weight, but that's about it! I'm hoping my friends are just too polite to mention it, because even I can see a difference now, though it took me a while.

thurms 01-23-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkginger (Post 16214430)
Well, I'm not sure anyone has noticed yet, despite the fact I'm 56lbs down, and only 15 to go to goal. If they have, they've not said anything - but I'm not really bothered about that, because I'm doing this for me and my health, not for anyone else. My husband did say 'you've done very well' when I reported my latest weight, but that's about it! I'm hoping my friends are just too polite to mention it, because even I can see a difference now, though it took me a while.

Sorry for the threadjack but nice job Darkginger!! I'm sure a lot have noticed and maybe just not said anything. Hard not to notice such a great loss!!

mimivac 01-23-2013 11:54 AM

It took about 20 pounds for people to notice. I was averaging about a pound a week and went from a size 12 to a 6 before I got any comments.

LastRick 01-23-2013 12:08 PM

About six months (or 20 pounds) as I went from 230+ to 215 before people began to ask me if I was losing weight.

Mrs S 01-23-2013 12:29 PM

My husband noticed within the first 10 pounds. He was hugging me one day after work and said, wow, you feel smaller already. Friends and family seemed to notice around 25-30 pounds. I'm short (5' 2.5") so maybe that makes a difference.

giJ 01-23-2013 02:55 PM

Don't forget: there's a difference between noticing and commenting. People, IME, are afraid to ask "have you lost weight" unless they KNOW, without a doubt, the answer is yes. Because a "no" in response is always awkward. (My poor "friend" asked a few weeks ago, and it was right after I'd gotten back from a New Years trip to NOLA, so my weight was actually up. I wish I'd lost more! LOL)

cantare 01-23-2013 03:25 PM

I think people stop really seeing you when they're around you a lot...they just have a mental image they refer to even when you're right in front of them. Also, clothing really conceals progress esp if it's the same old things just getting baggier and more cinched-in. About the time you say 'screw this, time for new clothes' is about the time people will take another look and realize what's happened. Some will dive right in and comment, but others may not think it polite, or they will say something more veiled like "you look great." The range of reactions can be very interesting...

snowdancer79 01-23-2013 07:11 PM

It's funny, I've lost 32 lbs so far and nobody has really said anything. Or if they do, they seem surprised when they hear how much I've lost. I'm still wearing the same jeans I was at 202, and I was 170 this morning, so I guess it's true that I carry my weight well (if there is such a thing, but that's what hubby and others say). I'm hoping at 50 lbs people will be blown away. Or maybe 60??

NH_Free 01-24-2013 06:12 AM

I'm 5'2" and lost about 20 lbs. before anyone noticed. When I was thin before though, no one ever guessed I weighed as much as I did (lots of muscle), so I can't expect them to notice when 10 lbs. of it comes off I guess. :D

lowcarbella 01-24-2013 06:24 AM

I have lost 50 lbs and no one has noticed/commented.
I think maybe when I lose another 20,maybe I will lose my shoulder/back fat too,and then there will be a difference.
keep doing what u do,take measurements after every 5-8 lbs,keep them in a spreadsheet or journal ,and take pictures every 10-20 lbs.Thats what keeps me motivated.Ignore people,bcoz they have so many reasons why they won't comment,so let that not derail you.All the best

Meli-Mel 01-24-2013 06:43 AM

I've had a few people notice and it was around the 15 lb. mark. A couple of them may have been more because I eat with them often and they noticed a change in my eating habits and went from there, but one definitely noticed just from seeing me.

cfine 01-24-2013 06:51 AM

I'm not exactly sure how much I had lost, but it was definitely when I bought some new clothes that fit me properly that people noticed. Even though I still have quite a bit of weight to lose, I don't freak out when I see my reflection anymore. Those new clothes were worth every penny, and I'm looking forward to my next shopping trip.

4myfuture 01-24-2013 06:52 AM

I think people noticed when I began to wear nice fitting clothes and I was much more confident in my own skin. My face really looks different now than it did 30 lbs ago. People commented about that right away.

yvonne326 01-24-2013 08:40 AM

I can only post from the last time when I lost 40 lbs. It was around 15 lb mark and I wore a tighter fitting outfit. My then-husband noticed it sooner stating my belly was down. Funny I noticed it around 15 lbs too....when looking in mirror.

One big thing I am doing different is exercising regularly and intense so I feel this time it may show quicker since my body is getting sculpted... I am already seeing that even though I am technically only down 2 lbs