LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Arwen
Stats: 233.4/233.4/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1-17-13
Satiety vs. overeating

I'm on day seven of induction, and so far haven't lost any weight. It's been pointed out to me by my low carb friends that I am over eating, and that is probably why I am getting zero results. But I am so darn hungry all the time! I thought we were to eat until satisfied, as long as it is approved foods and carb counts remain below 20g.

Yesterday I cut down on my portions and made sure to eat plenty of good fats. But by the time the evening rolled around I was so hungry I could have eaten a sock. I went a little crazy with unsweetened whipped cream, cream cheese, and sour cream. It was a little binge party.

How do you balance hunger and satiety?

Thanks!
Arwen
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
BAB

Big Azz Breakfast

for me personally that is what works best to keep my hunger at bay. I am usually not a morning eater but when I started the plan I had 3 eggs, cheese and 4-5-6 slices bacon (sometimes mushrooms thrown in the omlette). I knew it was important to stop hunger in me fast and long. (I know me, I get stinking hungry )

then that kept me full for a long time but at lunch I made sure even if not that hungry I ate something. tuna with mayo. small salad with chicken.

then come dinner I ate a good sized healthy fat meal. 3 chicken thighs, tons of roasted veggies slathered in butter.

(this is what worked for me to hold off the hunger)

at night (since I loved to eat at night) the only thing I made was sugar free jello. I would sit and watch tv and eat the whole bowl slowly. that got me thru my night time cravings to eat as I usually would stuff down popcorn, chips, ice cream etc. (gee, wonder why I gained before )

So you gotta tweak the best way to eat thru the day for you. the best way to fill up.

but also longer on plan, the less hungry you will become. early stages are tough. alot of mental and physical cravings and the hunger just seems to be there and then WHAM. we LC people all get the hunger under control (most of us, but some struggle I am sure)

just some things I did to help me. might help you but stay strong and work thru it to find your best solution. everyone has to kinda find their own way to get thru that type of problem when starting a new plan.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Would you mind posting exactly what you are eating in a day?
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
For me, my appetite goes down when I'm firmly in ketosis. For me, artificial sweeteners spike a hunger response.
I'd suggest that you not worry about quantities too much until your hunger is under control. I'd suggest that you do try to go for cleaner protein and fat choices, such as some cooked chicken,or a devilled egg when you want something extra.

For me, the first days are the hardest, but I try to do it by the book while making free use of meats and eggs, limiting sweeteners, cheese and cream, and sticking with a salad or celery sticks at lunch and then whatever allowed veg portion I want at dinner.

Later, after my hunger is at a reasonable level, I start adding whipping cream, cream cheese, and some recipe things with sweeteners in them.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I'm on day seven of induction, and so far haven't lost any weight. It's been pointed out to me by my low carb friends that I am over eating, and that is probably why I am getting zero results. But I am so darn hungry all the time! I thought we were to eat until satisfied, as long as it is approved foods and carb counts remain below 20g.

Yesterday I cut down on my portions and made sure to eat plenty of good fats. But by the time the evening rolled around I was so hungry I could have eaten a sock. I went a little crazy with unsweetened whipped cream, cream cheese, and sour cream. It was a little binge party.

How do you balance hunger and satiety?

Thanks!
Arwen
There is a transition period for your body going from carby to low carb.

I think you should eat to satiety and not worry about anything but being low carb. Within a week or two you should find your eating a lot less often.

The thing to watch out for is eating out of habit. Don't eat at noon just because it is noon and you always eat lunch at that time.

Don't browse recipe threads/sites. They will make you feel hungry when you weren't when you started browsing for an idea for a meal that should be several hours away like dinner.

If you are logging food, don't spend an inordinate amount of time looking at your log for the same reason.

Frequently, LC hunger signals are not anywhere near high carb hunger signals. You can feel a bit hungry as an LC person and ignore it by doing something else. As a carby person that is much harder to do or impossible to do.

Make sure that the fats you are eating are not PUFA oils. Most store bought mayo and dressing is soy or canola based - terrible oils.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Oh, eat more fat too. It will help keep you satiated.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Arwen
Stats: 233.4/233.4/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1-17-13
I drink 10 cups of water, two cups of green tea, and two cups of broth each day. Before starting Atkins, I was on a carb free-for-all, had gained 10lbs in the past two months, and wasn't counting calories. Here are my past three days of menus-

B- 2 eggs, 6 slices bacon, green tea.
S- broth
L- 4 slices beef bresaola with a drizzle of olive oil, 1oz aged blue cheese
S- broth, green tea
D- 2 beef hamburger patties with 2 slices sharp cheddar, 2c mixed salad greens, 2 tablespoons blue cheese dressing, 1/2 avocado, 2 tablespoons low carb thousand island
S- sugar free jello with 2 tablespoons heavy cream whipped with one drop liquid sucralose

B- cream cheese pancakes, 2 cups tea, 1 slice bacon
S- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, broth
L- 4 salami and provolone rolls drizzled with olive oil
S- broth
D- beef patty with one slice cheese, 2 slices bacon, 2c salad with blue cheese dressing
S- 4 slices salami drizzled with olive oil, 1/4 cup whipped heavy cream.

B- tea with HWC, muffin in a minute
S- broth, 1oz blue cheese, Atkins shake
L- beef patty with Alfredo sauce
S- dill pickle and broth
D- 2 large low carb meatballs, 1/2 cup low carb marinara sauce
S- way too much whipped cream, cream cheese, and sour cream

It's also been brought to my attention that I eat too much processed meats- tried to cut those out yesterday too.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustMe2
Just simply going on your post (not knowing exactly what you eat in a given day). I would suggest leaving off the whipping cream (even unsweetened), cream cheese and cream. Concentrate on eatting more meats (high fat steaks, chicken with skin, salmon), eggs and veggies with butter. The dairy products may be spiking your hunger.

Edited to add that we must have posted at the same time as I see your menu now. I would still cut back on the processed meats, creams, SF jello and atkins shake. These things cause some people to not lose.

Last edited by JustMe2; 01-23-2013 at 09:42 AM..
JustMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Yep. I'd ease up on the dairy and cream for now.
You can have it back in a week or two, when your hunger is controlled.

How about this:
B- 2 eggs, 5 oz hamburger patty, green tea.
S- broth
L- 4 oz simply-cooked roast beef with a drizzle of olive oil, handful of celery sticks
S- broth, green tea
D- 2 beef hamburger patties with mustard, a couple devilled egg halves, 2c mixed salad greens, 1 tablespoons blue cheese dressing mixed with a little olive oil, 1/2 avocado w/lemon juice and reduced calorie soy sauce
S- cooked cubed chicken

B- flaxmeal pancakes, 2 cups tea, 2 slice bacon
S- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, broth
L- 4 unbreaded chicken fingers drizzled with olive oil, raw radishes
S- broth
D- beef patty with an egg on top, 2 slices bacon, 2c salad with blue cheese dressing, smaller serving mixed with olive oil
S- 4 thin slices of chicken drizzled with olive oil, 1 oz cheese.

B- tea with HWC, muffin in a minute
S- broth, 1oz blue cheese, EAS 100% whey protein shake
L- beef patty with Alfredo sauce
S- dill pickle and broth
D- 2 large low carb meatballs, 1/4 cup low carb marinara sauce mixed with a little olive oil, and 1/2 cup cooked thinly sliced zucchini
S- chicken bites or some sliced roast beef
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
Start Date: April 2012
I stopped losing at some point because of way too much protein. I could never eat as much protein as you are consuming. It's better to do moderate protein, high fat, and low carb. I hope all of the suggestions help you to reach your goals.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Some people can not tolerate fake sugars. I am one of those people. Perhaps it is the jello? And if you are drinking any diet soda that may be it too.

I would not worry so much about overeating. If you are hungry, just eat. Soon you will not be hungry. Most people are ravenous when just starting LC. Just stick with it! You're doing great. Also you could be losing inches and not pounds.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote