Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Carbs in the meat from the hispanic meat market (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795162-carbs-meat-hispanic-meat-market.html)

A'smommy 01-23-2013 08:30 AM

Carbs in the meat from the hispanic meat market

Hey everyone,

I want to go pick up some marinated fajita skirt steak from my local tapatia meat market and was wondering if anyone knew or had an idea of the carb counts.. Ive had the skirt steak like this from several different tapatias and they all seem to taste pretty much the same so I'm thinking the marinades dont really differ much.. but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out it the meat has carbs or not..

I would ask the people at the counter but they dont speak english and I dont speak spanish.. so i already have a hard enough time trying to order it!!

Any ideas?

Dottie 01-23-2013 08:42 AM

qué condimentos? is "What seasonings?" Print that out and show it to them maybe?
lol other than that, maybe someone else in the market at the time speaks both English and Spanish and can translate?

A'smommy 01-23-2013 08:46 AM

Lol thanks Dottie... I thought about doing that, only the guy would probably reply back in spanish and once again i'd be left saying "huh??" :)

h82bl8 01-23-2013 10:33 AM

You could also ask "Tienen azucar en el sazon carne?" Does the meat seasoning have sugar? That way you get a yes or no answer.

pocahontas 01-23-2013 10:43 AM

We buy seasoned and marinated meats from the Mexican market often and I have never had an issue with it. Couldnt hurt to ask though!

reddarin 01-23-2013 11:44 AM

You do not need to struggle with spanish to communicate. Wait around for any tween or young teen and they will happily translate for you.

:)

synger 01-24-2013 08:29 AM

I have not had any problems with pre-marinaded meat, especially Hispanic. I could see an issue with Asian sauces, because they tend to be much sweeter.

ravenrose 01-24-2013 01:12 PM

hard to tell. I looked at half a dozen recipes. half would be ok, the others had either honey, sugar, or pineapple juice in them. I think you need to be specific. I have never felt comfortable about what the meat depts tell me is in various rubs or marinades. I don't think they KNOW. it's often some kind of mix as part of it, and it might easily have sugar along with salt and spices and the employees don't know.

Maryposa 01-24-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16217019)
hard to tell. I looked at half a dozen recipes. half would be ok, the others had either honey, sugar, or pineapple juice in them. I think you need to be specific. I have never felt comfortable about what the meat depts tell me is in various rubs or marinades. I don't think they KNOW. it's often some kind of mix as part of it, and it might easily have sugar along with salt and spices and the employees don't know.

orange juice is another common on in the Fajita marinades.

A'smommy 01-24-2013 04:10 PM

Thanks you guys... It always worries me because it almost taste too good to be true. It just says "fajitas marinada" or something like that on the label, and they very well might not even know what its marinated in either. I think ill just experiment and see if I experience any side effects the days following.

JessieBear 01-24-2013 06:42 PM

Wheat is another hidden carb in seasonings.

En Espanol, "Tienen wheat en el sazon carne"

"Wheat" in Spanish is pronounced with a blowing sound like "Who-eat" rather than the US English "Weet" pronunciation. Speak slowly or they may not understand what you are asking.

Edit - another idea, write "Tienen wheat o azucar en el sazon carne?" and hand it to them. That way there are no accent/translation errors.

:)

sya_unit 01-25-2013 07:00 PM

I know the meat markets around here will bring you the label off of the marinade if you ask. And usually it is in english as well as spanish. Hope you are successful! I'd just make my own from the spices in my cabinet and buy the skirt plain.... But a lot of the meats have fruits in the marinade. One of my coworkers gave me some carne asasa meat the other day and it was fantastic. Then I asked how she marinated it. I felt like I was stomped on. Oh, I put some orange juice, pineapple juice, some spices, sugar she went on and on and I felt like she was punching me in the gut. I just smiled the whole time. I had just chewed up some allergy pills and I was trying to figure out what I was allergic to...I'm allergic to citrus and tomato. D'OH! At least I was able to identify it.