Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I'm not as good at estimating as I thought... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795120-im-not-good-estimating-i-thought.html)

Psmileyf 01-22-2013 04:11 PM

I'm not as good at estimating as I thought...

I'm pretty disciplined about writing down what I eat and counting.
I write down everything I eat, every day.
But I've stopped being so good at weighing and reading labels.

So, feeling bloated this week I decided to weigh my cheese last night. My ounce was actually 2.5 ounces :annoyed: but what I was counting as 120 calories per ounce is only 70. Amazing when you read the actual label instead of using a generic carb and calorie count from a book.

So, I figured I'd use my experience to remind others that no matter how good you get at estimating...if you are going to count, you might as well do it right and weigh and read labels.

Arctic_Mama 01-22-2013 04:27 PM

Lesson learned, I know it. If I was good with portion sizes I'd have never been morbidly obese to begin with. The lack of off switch was only part of the problem - but a lot of it was habit and portion distortion.

I regard my little scale and food log as something akin to glasses for my stomach - correcting an issue that I can't correct myself, without surgery. My eyes need glasses short of LASIK, and my stomach needs external portion control short of gastric surgery. Such is life!

JMacB 01-22-2013 04:43 PM

I've become the queen of the kitchen scale. Everything gets weighed and I. So glad I invested in one. Thanks for the reminder!

nolcjunk 01-22-2013 04:47 PM

Thank you for the reminder.

I periodically go through checking whether my eyeball measurements are accurate and there was a definite learning curve, but now after years of maintenace I finally got it just right. But, I still like to check sometimes that I haven't developed a greedy eye.

Information when you're losing weight is so important and without accurate measurements of foods the value of journaling your intake and making decisions based on it just go out the window.

My favorite moment recently was showing my friend how her so called tablespoon was really 3 because she has extra big spoons and was filling them to the brim, she figured a tablespoon was a tablespoon and whatever she loaded on there was just 1 tablespoon. I don't know who she thought she was fooling. :hyst:

DiamondDeb 01-22-2013 04:59 PM

It is good if we can estimate within reason without weighing/measuring everything but it can backfire, too. It is a little less obsessive. But, if we do that, it can be good to go back & weigh measure for a week or so every so often. We tend to stray from accurate eyeballing-it after a while.

lisamt 01-22-2013 05:01 PM

I bought a digital kitchen scale a few weeks ago with some xmas money, and love it. I had the opposite experience with cheese - what I estimated to be an ounce turned out to be less when I finally weighed it. I guess I was being overly cautious!

Phranquie 01-22-2013 07:23 PM

I have a pocket sized digital scale that I keep in my purse. It is great to verify when I am out just how much I am eating. Makes my food tracking so much more accurate.

nolcjunk 01-23-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phranquie (Post 16213329)
I have a pocket sized digital scale that I keep in my purse. It is great to verify when I am out just how much I am eating. Makes my food tracking so much more accurate.

that's a great idea. Especially because even if restaurants post nutrition data on their website for standard portions, you rarely get a standard one, unless it's like a McDonald's burger.

I know Chipotle is notorious for this- if you get a heavy handed and generous server you might be getting 1.5 times as much or even twice as much, so you'd be totally underestimating what you ate if you go by what they list for the portion. I think they especially give a ton more guacamole, I think maybe because you pay extra for guac.

Phranquie 01-23-2013 10:13 AM

I got mine at Am*zon for $6. It is 2.5" x 3.6" and weighs only 3oz, so it fits in a small bag or pocket. It is more accurate than my digital kitchen scale as it weighs to the tenth of a gram.

nolcjunk 01-23-2013 10:23 AM

That sounds great, I never thought about there being travel sized food scales.

SeaMaiden 01-23-2013 02:37 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phranquie (Post 16214432)
I got mine at Am*zon for $6. It is 2.5" x 3.6" and weighs only 3oz, so it fits in a small bag or pocket. It is more accurate than my digital kitchen scale as it weighs to the tenth of a gram.

Thanks for the recommendation to all! I just went to that website and bought it! I sure need the help with more accurate portions!

synger 01-24-2013 07:16 AM

I love my kitchen scale! So helpful.

Havefaith9 01-24-2013 08:18 AM

I'm not as good at estimating as I thought...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phranquie (Post 16214432)

I just bought one from amazon! :jumpjoy: I didn't even know they made them this small. ty!

Faith

cfine 01-24-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

I regard my little scale and food log as something akin to glasses for my stomach - correcting an issue that I can't correct myself, without surgery. My eyes need glasses short of LASIK, and my stomach needs external portion control short of gastric surgery. Such is life!
Artic Mom, that made me LOL! That is the perfect analogy for my food scale.