Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   In ketosis and gained weight?! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795100-ketosis-gained-weight.html)

BigRolliePollie 01-22-2013 10:36 AM

In ketosis and gained weight?!

Hello everyone, I am very new to posting comments. I never thought I would even start my own thread, but I need some help. I have officially made the decision to eat LC as a permanent lifestyle. I have been on and off for about a year and have made progress. I found this website and I am surprised at how much more it has motivated and helped me. I have already tried a couple recipes and have really enjoyed them.

So, I am in Ketosis... The stick is a solid purple..yay! But I have gained between 2-3 pounds. I am frustrated because I have made it a point to be especially careful with my carbs. What am I doing wrong?

Maryposa 01-22-2013 10:40 AM

2-3 pounds can be many different things; vs, say 20 pounds...

- too much salt
- PMS/hormones
- too much MSG
- hidden carbs leading to water weight
- erm, uh... not going to the bathroom regularly
- intense exercise (the muscle will retain water)

That said... Usually, after a couple of days low carbing a bunch of water weight is lost, not gained. Hmmm... how long have you been back on?

nolcjunk 01-22-2013 10:46 AM

Ketosis doesn't guarantee weight loss or prevent weight gain. Right now I am in ketosis and at goal and if I overate and started eating 2000 calories a day I would start gaining. You are close to goal, at that weight you can't have a ton of the really calorie dense foods like hwc, cheeses, cream cheese, butter that people at bigger starting weights can have more freely.

What are you eating on a daily basis?

BigRolliePollie 01-22-2013 10:47 AM

I have truly been back for 2 weeks now. Hopefully it's one of the things you listed, I am afraid that I am not doing something right. You look awesome by the way!

BigRolliePollie 01-22-2013 10:49 AM

My day consists generally of 2 eggs, sausage, 1 jalapeņo, maybe some sour cream. I might have an Atkins shake, and some sort of meat with zucchini and cheese/salsa. I really like spicy food.

Maryposa 01-22-2013 10:50 AM

I just noticed that you are a relative "light weight", and although when I was heavier I could pretty much eat as much as I wanted while in ketosis and not gain, the less you have to lose, unfortunately, the more calories start to matter. So I agree with nolcjunk, it could be that you are consuming too many calories as well. I still would find it hard to believe that it is "real" (fat) gain.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that for some people, they have food intolerances like to gluten, certain additives, etc and that can cause puffiness / bloating / water retention.

nolcjunk 01-22-2013 10:52 AM

Do you know how many calories/carbs you are eating? Do you measure stuff like sour cream and cheese? Have you been eating this sausage for a while?

Things like Atkins shakes also can stall people.

BigRolliePollie 01-22-2013 10:55 AM

You know, they always say its the last few pounds that are the hardest to lose. With being on the short side, you can feel every pound. I guess I have been having about 1hotlink, and the most I measure is the spoon I am using to serve it. I didn't realize that the closer I get, the more careful I have to be. The first few we're so easy.

nolcjunk 01-22-2013 11:00 AM

That is definitely true, especially if you are aiming for a smaller goal weight. Then, it's a personal choice whether you want to attain that goal and do the work for it or prefer to eat more freely and more and stay a little bigger.