Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
Why Can't I stay OP????

I just can't seem to stay on plan for more than a day or two!

Part of this is due to alot of stress right now in my life, as well as having a sick pet. We finally put our beloved precious cat to sleep yesterday and I am heartbroken. I ate all day yesterday! So once again I will get back on my LC Atkins wagon.

How do y'all deal with eating/staying LC?? I'd love to hear from you! ty
wannabethin57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Try to consider meal planning, it worked for me when I couldn't stay on plan.
If you are off most of the day you may just throw ingredients in the crockpot in the morning and that will be your dinner so if you can ensure that is on plan it will work.
Otherwise I used to make huge casseroles on weekends, freeze them and eat through the week. Carbs were counted already, just had to heat them up. It worked as well.
And, of course, cleaning the cupboard from everything that shouldn't be there, if you live with others that will eat what you can't, use two different shelves for their stuff and yours. Don't mix and don't feel allowed to reach for anything on their shelves, it's called stealing and the low carb police will be after you.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I've had a hard time, but what spurred me on this time was a Biggest Loser contest among my friends. I want to win!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Days two through four are, in my experience, the hardest. Once you get through those, it gets so much easier.

Do you have the option of clearing your house of all the high-carb junk? Going through your fridge and pantry and just throwing away everything that is off-plan? (I realize this might not work if you have carb eaters living with you!) Either way, plan our your menu for one week. Tell yourself you can do this for ONE WEEK. Have LC snacks on hand so that when a craving hits you, you have on-plan options that you can grab without thinking. Tell someone, or maybe even lots of people, that you are going low-carb and that will help hold you accountable.

I'm very sorry about the loss of your beloved kitty.

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Sorry about your kitty.

Here's what I did:

1) I had to get in the right mental place for it to stick (this might be tough for you right now). I finally got completely disgusted with my looks and how weak I was for crappy foods that made me feel bad. Then I focused on all the delicious things I can have, not the junk I can't. I printed recipes for all the low carb meals I like best and a bunch of new ones to try.

2) Forced myself to stop being lazy about cooking. Made an entire weeks' worth of my favorite meals and had them ready in the fridge. I still do this most weeks because I really don't enjoy cooking.

3) Overcame my aversion to drinking water by alternating a few gulps with a few sips of diet pop. Eventually, I got into ketosis and actually wanted the water.

4) Got very busy, so I wouldn't have much time to think about food. Started exercising because I knew I wouldn't want to ruin all the effort I had to put into that. Made a million little tasks for myself to keep me outside as much as possible.

5) Pushed every thought of junk food out of my head and replaced it with "it's only some junk food - I don't need it and if I cave in to it, I'll never get out of this vicious cycle and get my self esteem back." or similar thoughts When cravings came, I'd get in the tub with a good book or get out of the house and go window shopping or whatever I could to keep from being near the kitchen. It's remarkable how fast you forget about food when your mind is busy with something else.

6) When all else failed, I'd have an Atkins bar. I know they're not good for induction, but they did help ease me back into ketosis and keep me from complete failure.

Hope this helps some. Just remember that it's only really hard for the first week and then it will get easier. But it will help a lot if you can re-train your mind not to think of garbage foods as something special. They're not special or treats, they're just a habit - nutritionally devoid junk that keeps you from your goal.

I would also recommend getting another cat soon. I've lost 4 dogs and getting a new one really helped me get over it faster. It won't be the same as the one you lost, but it will be a nice distraction while you heal.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I think mental readiness and planning ahead are key for me. On those white knuckle days of wanting to dive into the carbs, it helps so much to have lc food ready.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry about your beloved pets.

Staying on plan was the most difficult thing in the beginning of my return to low carbing. I had to 'white knuckle' it for a week or so and I needed a piece of brutal truth (i.e. a recent photo) to replay in my head. It is no longer just about weight loss for me - it is about the wonderful way it makes me feel and the great things it does for my general health. Plus all that, I love the food I get to eat!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Free View Post
Sorry about your kitty.

Here's what I did:

1) I had to get in the right mental place for it to stick (this might be tough for you right now). I finally got completely disgusted with my looks and how weak I was for crappy foods that made me feel bad. Then I focused on all the delicious things I can have, not the junk I can't. I printed recipes for all the low carb meals I like best and a bunch of new ones to try.

2) Forced myself to stop being lazy about cooking. Made an entire weeks' worth of my favorite meals and had them ready in the fridge. I still do this most weeks because I really don't enjoy cooking.

3) Overcame my aversion to drinking water by alternating a few gulps with a few sips of diet pop. Eventually, I got into ketosis and actually wanted the water.

4) Got very busy, so I wouldn't have much time to think about food. Started exercising because I knew I wouldn't want to ruin all the effort I had to put into that. Made a million little tasks for myself to keep me outside as much as possible.

5) Pushed every thought of junk food out of my head and replaced it with "it's only some junk food - I don't need it and if I cave in to it, I'll never get out of this vicious cycle and get my self esteem back." or similar thoughts When cravings came, I'd get in the tub with a good book or get out of the house and go window shopping or whatever I could to keep from being near the kitchen. It's remarkable how fast you forget about food when your mind is busy with something else.

6) When all else failed, I'd have an Atkins bar. I know they're not good for induction, but they did help ease me back into ketosis and keep me from complete failure.

Hope this helps some. Just remember that it's only really hard for the first week and then it will get easier. But it will help a lot if you can re-train your mind not to think of garbage foods as something special. They're not special or treats, they're just a habit - nutritionally devoid junk that keeps you from your goal.

I would also recommend getting another cat soon. I've lost 4 dogs and getting a new one really helped me get over it faster. It won't be the same as the one you lost, but it will be a nice distraction while you heal.
Thank you for your post! Great suggestions!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all your suggestions! I made it through day one with a very heavy heart. I will keep on and remember your encouraging words! Looking in a mirror is not an option!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
sorry about your cat. that is hard. I lost a few over the years also. Pets are wonderful and greatly missed when gone.

For me, IT WAS TIME. Simple as that. When I commit, I commit. I have to be in that frame of mind tho to start. I started 2 times on my other low fat/low cal. diet and could not stay on plan. I read around. Found atkins. Thought, hmm...this is my kind of food. High fat decadent meals. Right up my alley.

after reading all I could on atkins, I went to the grocery and stocked. I found tons of induction meals online just in case. I knew exactly what I was going to eat.

Then I was goofing off a bit and didn't start, a few days later after having knowledge and groceries, I woke up and said--this is it. And I haven't eaten bread, pasta or junk in over 15 weeks. I have no intention of ever going backward.

I ate also. I ate big decadent high fat filling meals. I would rather lose a bit slower and be full then ever be hungry and chance eating anything. 24 lbs gone since Oct. 7

hope some of that helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Today is one week for me.
I started to have a meltdown on Sunday, but things are lots better now.
Someone ~ somewhere on this forum posted: In one year I will be glad I started NOW or something to that effect. That really sunk in for me.
I finally have my head in the game.
I think my mind is more important than my body right now.
I really really don't want to be this heavy and uncomfortable anymore.
I have paid attention to all the advice from the successful low carbers.
~ BROTH
~ HWC IN COFFEE
~ EAT WHAT YOU NEED VS. WHAT YOU WANT IN TERMS OF PORTIONS.
I am keeping an honest Journal here and on paper............the old fashioned way.
I write on paper every single bite.
I believe in Grace and feel like I will be able to sustain this way of eating through prayer, this forum and patience.

I understand more than you will ever know eating for comfort in a time of loss.
I am so sorry for you losing your beloved pet.

Anyway, keep posting and reading and soon you will feel the resolve. It is contagious.
Many hugs.
It is time.

Quote from SoHappy: I realized the world would never run out of goodies. I could have them forever. I didn't have to eat them every day, every Up Day, or even every week anymore.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hluxe
Stats: 165/165/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/2013
For me, meal planning and tracking keep me on target. I took the weekend off from plan because we were on vacation and while it was fun to eat a grilled cheese sandwich I feel so much better when I am LC and grainfree.
hluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired of my looks, my weight, my health, etc....I was really just so done... So, I pushed through the carb tunnel and now I'm on the other side and it feels great. Every day is a fresh new start for me to make good choices and every good choice I make keeps me a healthier person, mentally and physically.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote