Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Staying in Ketosis (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795067-staying-ketosis.html)

Sting 01-22-2013 01:01 AM

Staying in Ketosis

Reading articles on staying in ketosis some say its not something one should be in for a long period of time and others say its fine just thought i ask and see what others here thought??

Ntombi 01-22-2013 01:06 AM

Unless you're pregnant and maybe nursing (that's still undecided), it's fine to stay in ketosis long-term.

Gretalyn 01-22-2013 05:00 AM

I've read the same thing. But you know what? I've never seen one shred of evidence offered up in support of the argument. It's just a claim without any backing. So in the absence of any clinical evidence one way or the other, I rely upon what my own body tells me. When I am not in ketosis I am sick, fat, and miserable. When I'm in ketosis, I am well, healthy, strong, happy, and slender. It's not a difficult decision. ;) I've been in ketosis for two years straight now, and don't plan to change that for the foreseeable future.

clackley 01-22-2013 06:45 AM

:welcome: Zeda!

For some great information on the subject, I would suggest that you read some of Dr. Peter Attia's blog on the subject.

Google: The Eating Academy Dr. Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy

I stay in ketosis (3+yrs. now) because I believe it is a preferable state for a variety of health reasons and I can still remember what it is like for me not to be in ketosis and that was not fun.

LiterateGriffin 01-22-2013 08:51 AM

I'm curious if you'd please post your source for ketosis not being safe for prolonged periods?

I know that this isn't true -- there have been NO successful studies documenting health-risks associated with long-term ketogenic diets, despite many attempts to find them and thus discredit such diets. Instead, the growing body of evidence points to high-carbohydrate diets (rather than high-fat or ketogenic diets) as posing severe long-term health risks including heart disease and premature death.

I AM, however, interested in the "current" mis-information that's being spread.

To give you some science-based information:
Long Term Effects of a Ketogenic Diet in Obese Patients

Such a diet has been in long-term use for at least 80 years in the treatment of epileptic children. Its safety has been long-established. It is only when the subject becomes weight-loss that certain parties panic, and begin insisting it "must" be unhealthy.

Here's some more science for you:

VivaaLaCarlos 01-22-2013 08:56 AM

i love being in ketosis and so does my body. i went to the gym and did cardio last night and i didnt wanna leave lol. i had so much energy. when im not eating LC i feel bloated, gassy and miserable oh and tons of bowel movements. so my body says bumb that bs people talk, it works great for me!

Hoofan12 01-22-2013 09:04 AM

I find it funny how some "experts" state their opinion on a topic that has never been studied long term. As for me, I'd rather say in ketosis long term than eating garbage.

ravenrose 01-22-2013 09:38 AM

If I COULD, I'd stay in ketosis the rest of my life.

Avy 01-22-2013 07:29 PM

Ditto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16212284)
If I COULD, I'd stay in ketosis the rest of my life.

Flowergirl51 01-22-2013 10:27 PM

I just listened to a Jimmy Moore podcast interview with an oncology doc who believes a ketogenic diet starves cancer cells and shrinks tumors. Its worth a listen. Go to Livinlavidalowcarb.com and follow the podcast links. Terry