Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   How many grams of carbs!? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795065-how-many-grams-carbs.html)

Billysdiet 01-21-2013 11:49 PM

How many grams of carbs!?

Hi. I got some excellent advice yesterday. And have been told my carbs are to high. Ok that's fine I can make some adjustments. But I am confused about how many carbs I should have. I know Atkins say less than 25g but another site says 50g. What does everyone think? Thanks for reading! Billy.

Ntombi 01-22-2013 01:01 AM

It depends on what plan you're following. Pick one and follow it. If you don't know what you're doing, it doesn't make sense to wing it.

If you're doing Atkins, start at Induction, and move forward. If you're doing Paleo, or South Beach, or another plan, read the plan, and follow it. Some call for ketosis, some don't.

jacquirsw 01-22-2013 01:39 AM

I would agree that you need to have a plan and stick with it. The problems always come when things are mixed and matched. Atkins has under 20g in induction but is a higher use of fat than a lot of other plans. It is about finding a woe that you can stick with long term. For me I love Atkins as I like being in ketosis and being able to use the sticks to judge things, little visual things like that is what helps me keep motivated.

Punkin 01-22-2013 04:52 AM

Your carb intake is more of a personal thing. Some people can handle higher carb intakes than others. People who are fairly "carb intolerant" will do better on Atkins because it has a lower carb intake. The plans above that level are for people that are less sensitive to carbs. You will have to experiment to find out which one works the best for you.

ravenrose 01-22-2013 09:42 AM

how old are you? what is your weight history? how obese are you? these things all affect how many carbs you can eat and lost weight.

normally we start at 20 grams or less, and after some period do a reality check about adding carbs. some people can add a fair number and get up to something like 50 grams like you discuss. others can't ever increase over 20. you just have to see how your body reacts.

it's all described in the Atkins books as OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) though they make it sound like a no brainer to keep increasing while MANY here find that does not work.

Arctic_Mama 01-22-2013 09:51 AM

And do remember that these are net carbs for most people, not total. Keeping total carbs under 20 is very difficult without severely limiting even fibrous veggies, but keeping net carbs in that range is quite easy and satisfying.

clackley 01-22-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16212314)
And do remember that these are net carbs for most people, not total. Keeping total carbs under 20 is very difficult without severely limiting even fibrous veggies, but keeping net carbs in that range is quite easy and satisfying.

I can keep my carb count below 20g without much difficulty (that is without subtracting fibre). But if I want to add an avocado or something like that, I will have to subtract the fibre to keep in my range of under 20g. The question of subtracting fibre or not is another issue.

The question of 'how many carbs' is very individual but the range is given to provide a frame work of how to achieve ketosis. Most people will not be in ketosis if they are eating over 50g carb total. That is the upper limit.

Arctic_Mama 01-22-2013 10:48 AM

There is no way on earth that I, as an Atkins adherent, can get the appropriate amount of vegetable fiber as well as the selection of food from the OWL rungs I am already accustomed to, and stay under 20 total grams of carbs.

On my Atkins-specific board elsewhere online this is also the case. For someone not following that specific plan it might be doable, especially if they are closer to zero-carb, but for a salad, steamed vegetable, half an avocado, and something like a half cup of ricotta or ounce of nuts? No way!

Other plans, perhaps, but not DANDR :)

Billysdiet 01-22-2013 12:24 PM

Thanks everyone!