Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What is the verdict on Sweet Potatos/ Fries? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/795026-what-verdict-sweet-potatos-fries.html)

Dezi 01-21-2013 02:23 PM

What is the verdict on Sweet Potatos/ Fries?

So I am in maintenance about 80-100 carbs.

But I have gained 2-3 lbs since eating sweet potato fries. I homemade some, got some at carls JR with my lettuce burgers, and even got some with steak at outback steakhouse! So in about a week and a half I gained weight, and that is the only different thing. Also since school started I have been working out (Cardio not weights) 3-5X a week (this should help, not hinder right?)

SO the serving size has 3 g of fiber I subtract from the 20 carbs. This is way lower than the white fries I missed so much (never miss them with sweet potatoes) They are lower GI too and have beta kerotin so I thought these were good when I bore of carrots (I love carrots too though)

Do these have anyplace in maintenence for anyone. I am not paleo but I was told they are paleo friendly.

Should I cut them out and see if I drop the other 2 lbs?

I am at goal even though I gained.

I think these are literally the highest carb things I eat. and I always run on days I DO eat them. (Like I tell myself I am carbo loading).

pocahontas 01-21-2013 02:51 PM

Not everything works for everyone. I would try limiting them to once a week and see how it goes. If you still cant maintain then they may need to be eliminated altogether. Sorry!

Arctic_Mama 01-21-2013 04:02 PM

Most of the time sweet potato fries are battered in flour. That, plus the awful oils they are fried in, makes them a poor choice for a lot of us. If you're gaining with them and even the homemade ones are an issue, I'd say you just don't tolerate sweet potato well.

vanillayo 01-21-2013 04:20 PM

I don't tolerate sweet potatoes well either. In fact they've given me a sugar hangover just like refined sugar does.

Lokarbiebarbie 01-21-2013 05:27 PM

And some are also 'sprayed' with sugar syrup (Schwan's to name one).

snowdancer79 01-21-2013 06:56 PM

The pre-made sweet potato fries aren't very LC friendly. I've bought frozen ones and been appalled at the carb levels. I do eat baked sweet potatoes fairly regulary and have no problem with them. I don't eat large portions though.

CindyCRNA 01-21-2013 07:14 PM

I eat sweet potato fries in maintenance but make my own with just sliced sweet potatoes sprayed with Pam and a bit of kosher salt. When they start to caramelize a little, oh Lord!!:love:

sunday 01-21-2013 07:24 PM

I agree with Cindy. Make your own and then you will know that no sugar has been added. Kurt Harris, PaNu, & Paul Jaminet, Perfect Health, consider these safe starches. I am amazed that I can have these w/ no issues. :)

If you have added weights, therein, may be your problem. I began Kettlebells and stalled for a couple of weeks.

misty1028 01-22-2013 06:08 AM

I just added sweet potatoes back in and am still losing. I only use fresh. And not everyday. Right now I just made a shepards pie using sweet instead of reg. potatoes, so good.

clackley 01-22-2013 06:47 AM

There are no sweet potatoes on my horizon - just too carby for me. I think some people can consume them without issue but it seems to be very dependent on the state of your individual metabolism.

zagnut 01-22-2013 07:01 AM

I've added sweet potatoes back as well, homemade stuff. I haven't had any issues with them yet. And I hope I don't because I LOVE them :) I usually eat them 1-2 times a week.
It could be the exercise you just added too, retaining water, healing muscles, etc. Many of the people I am in challenges with who just added exercise see a gain at first while they are adjusting.

mamasooze 01-22-2013 07:11 AM

We usually eat them baked (1/2 large each) with butter. And I do let my husband have the Alexia brand fries when we grill outside for convenience sake. Having said that, we limit sweet potatoes to twice or 3 times a month. And I make the "fries" in the oven- a little olive or macadamia oil, sea salt, 425 in oven for about 25 minutes (ovens vary) and you are good to go. If we ate more frequently I would bet we would see a gain, but who knows?

Beeb 01-22-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misty1028 (Post 16211684)
I just added sweet potatoes back in and am still losing. I only use fresh. And not everyday. Right now I just made a shepards pie using sweet instead of reg. potatoes, so good.

:goodpost: