Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Subtracting fiber adds more calories? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794979-subtracting-fiber-adds-more-calories.html)

Filly 01-21-2013 01:34 AM

Subtracting fiber adds more calories?

I was reading through some old posts about fiber and I had a thought. This could be totally stupid but I'll share anyway.

There were many people who said they did not subtract fiber from their carb counts and had no problems with weight loss

There were some who did subtract fiber and were having trouble losing.

Maybe the difference is caloric intake. For example:

Let's say I want to eat 10g carbs for dinner because that is how many carbs I have left for the day. I choose frozen broccoli florets.

A 10oz bag has 100 calories with 13.4g carbs and 6.7g fiber
If I count fiber I will have to eat another 50 calories worth to get to 10gcarbs

OR let's say I want a 5g carb snack and I choose almonds.

1 oz has 164 calorie, 5.6g carbs with 3.3g of fiber
If I subtract fiber I will eat another 164 calories to get my 5g for a snack

Does this make sense?

(I used Calorieking to get my numbers. I am sure they vary with other databases)

MaryMary 01-21-2013 02:36 AM

It is close enough and for me calories do count. For the longest while I had no clue how much I was eating from a calorie perspective. Once I keyed it into a tracker, it showed me I was over by about 400 calories or 1700 cal/day. As I changed my protein selections from red meat to fish or chicken or soy, I started to lose because it shaved off that 400 a day or 1/2 lb a week. I eat the same quantity but different types of calories.

Filly 01-21-2013 03:53 AM

Right, MaryMary

I am thinking of people who don't track calories so they are unaware of how much they take in because they just use carb counts (and I'm not saying that is bad)

MaryMary 01-21-2013 03:59 AM

Using carbs worked for me for the first 100 lbs but then I had to look at calories to. Not so much that I tracked it everyday but enough so that if I ate the things I looked up, I knew how much I was getting. I do measure my portions even today

ravenrose 01-21-2013 11:24 AM

I think NOT subtracting fiber causes people to make different food choices. you would be right if someone was eating the same thing, just less of it!

if you get your carbs from low calorie vegetables, I think it will tend to give you lower calorie count overall. the fiber tends to fill you up, etc.

but if you are counting total carbs, those vegetables seem very "expensive" carb wise and you are more likely to choose something else that gives you more calories for your carb budget.

flexibugle 01-25-2013 11:38 AM

I keep track of everything in an online tracker, and you are right, the days my calories are lower I can assure you that my carbs are also much lower. My Net Carbs end up at 15-20gms a day and my Gross is under 30. If someone is really doing this properly, it kind of shouldn't matter which one they count. But I do agree with what you are saying. If you are simply counting carbs and not paying attention to anything else then you could be eating a huge number of calories which can keep you from losing. I can maintain that way forever! I never gain weight when I keep the carbs low. However, I don't really lose weight and lose fast unless the calories are low as well.

The other neat thing about tracking all your food is that you get to see the proportions of food you are eating. I am eating very clean right now. Just meat and veg with every meal and butter, mayo or any low carb fat to make it taste good. I wind up with 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs give or take a percentage or two pretty much all the time. If I feel I need to shift these a bit I can b/c I know what they are. There is a lot to be said for being accountable. I kind of feel like just counting carbs is a better idea for maintenance. I want to have a better understanding of what I'm doing.

clackley 01-25-2013 01:16 PM

Maybe I am getting this thread wrong but fiber in not digestible and therefore has no calories. I don't understand how subtracting fiber can affect a calorie count by doing this or not....???

lterry913 01-25-2013 01:34 PM

As I understand it the op is saying that by counting net carbs instead of total carbs you inadvertently consume more calories because you can eat more food. lets say if you eat a cup of blueberries it has 81calorie 21carbs 4fiber...if you are counting net carbs that is 81 calories and 17 net carbs...leaving you another food choice that would contain 3 net cabs...like hwc 3ounces at 100 calories an ounce...this is 300 more calories if you are counting net carbs as opposed to counting total carbs. Which, had you counted total carbs for the blueberries you would have only consume 81 calories for 21 total carbs.
just How I understood it.