Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
socaligirl714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern CAli
Posts: 361
Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
coffee creamers

i am missing my different premade coffee creamers...

I now use HWC, Cinnamon.. sometimes it tastes amazing sometimes its bitter... cant always get it right

Does anyone make creamer ahead of time for the week?
im wondering how it would come out if i mix cinnamon, HWC, Vanilla, Sweet n low to make a creamer for the week instead of mixing each coffee and getting different results
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
sya_unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 753
Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I don't make mine ahead of time. But I always use the same measuring devices. 1 shot glass of HWC, 1/2 shot glass (it has lines) of my sugar free torani syrup (right now I am digging white chocolate, but vanilla, chocolate, peppermint, etc have been used). I think they have a cinnamon that you might try. If not, start measuring the cinnamon. 1/8th tsp, etc. so you know when it turns bitter on you.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
socaligirl714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern CAli
Posts: 361
Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
I need to measure.... I got bored so I mixed hwc, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar free caramel davinci, sweetnlow.. cant wait to try it in our coffee...
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 748
Gallery: picklepete
For 16 oz. mug, my usual is 4 tbsp coconut milk and 2 tbsp syrup (e.g. Torani toffee or butterscotch). I don't know if it really matters, but I blend the two before sticking the mug under the brewer.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,190
Gallery: watcher513
Here's something else to try if you like cinnamon in your coffee and you are the only one drinking from the pot or other people like it also. I used to put ground cinnamon in the coffee grounds but putting too much can be an overflow problem since it can clog up the filter.

Now, I take a cinnamon stick, put it on a small paper plate, fold it in half so the cinnamon stick is covered and carefully hit/bash it with the butt of a knife (or a meat tenderizer would work). The folded over small paper plate is so it doesn't fly all over the place when hit. Just enough to bust it up a bit. It'll turn into long skinny pieces, then just break them into 3 pieces. I then put them in a small container with a lid and when I make coffee, take one piece out and put it in the grounds (we all like it).

I then just use 1 T. of hwc in my 16 oz. thermal container of coffee and sweetener to taste.
__________________
Terry
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
socaligirl714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern CAli
Posts: 361
Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
For 16 oz. mug, my usual is 4 tbsp coconut milk and 2 tbsp syrup (e.g. Torani toffee or butterscotch). I don't know if it really matters, but I blend the two before sticking the mug under the brewer.
How is coconut milk? I bought somw yesterday does it make coffee creamy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Here's something else to try if you like cinnamon in your coffee and you are the only one drinking from the pot or other people like it also. I used to put ground cinnamon in the coffee grounds but putting too much can be an overflow problem since it can clog up the filter.

Now, I take a cinnamon stick, put it on a small paper plate, fold it in half so the cinnamon stick is covered and carefully hit/bash it with the butt of a knife (or a meat tenderizer would work). The folded over small paper plate is so it doesn't fly all over the place when hit. Just enough to bust it up a bit. It'll turn into long skinny pieces, then just break them into 3 pieces. I then put them in a small container with a lid and when I make coffee, take one piece out and put it in the grounds (we all like it).

I then just use 1 T. of hwc in my 16 oz. thermal container of coffee and sweetener to taste.
I have some cinnamon sticks going to have to try that... The coffee is just for me & the hubby we both love cinnamon
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
socaligirl714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern CAli
Posts: 361
Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
My experiment came out okay... Going to have to tweak it a little
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
lterry913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,965
Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I don't see why you couldn't make it up ahead of time...I have seen other post about that exactly...I personally blend one shot davinci's vanilla, 1tbs coconut oil,and 1 tbs heavy cream with coffee in my magic bullet type blender...makes a mock latte type drink...yum...leave room in blender cup for it to foam up.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
spoiltmomof2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 576
Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
try using extracts. They work better for me than Torani or DaVinci syrups.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,635
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
My son will drink a quart of the sugary sweetened stuff a week when he's home, so I decided to make a sugar free one and he loved it.
I used 1 quart of half and half and mixed in 1 cup of torani sugar free salted caramel syrup one week, the next I used 1/4 cup s/f peppermint syrup and 3/4 cup s/f chocolate for a chocolate peppermint flavored one (the peppermint syrup is very strong, that's why I used so much less).

I know a lot of people don't like to use that much artificial sweetener, so start with 1/2 that and adjust as you go.
My son's preference is VERY sweet - as he described it: I like it to taste like liquid icing
__________________
https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx <--FDA tracking tools
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ <--FDA nutritional counts

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 748
Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaligirl714 View Post
How is coconut milk? I bought somw yesterday does it make coffee creamy?
Yup. It's definitely not the same thing as heavy cream but I prefer it. Works great for hot cocoa too.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,667
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I adore Hood Calorie Coundown chocolate milk in my coffee. One cup of coffee a day, so the carbs don't overwhelm me at 1 per quarter cup of the chocolate milk, even if you use a lot like I do!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 585
Gallery: Nikki2777
Dottie,
That sounds wonderful!

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sweetpoison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 4,464
Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 222/222/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
To me using Coconut milk or almond milk is like using nothing...not even creamy ......
sweetpoison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,635
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Real coconut milk, not the "coconut milk beverage" is very creamy
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Guest
 
Passion68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Excuselessville
Posts: 2,011
Gallery: Passion68
Stats: 294/268.8/145 5'5"
WOE: 20 carbs/Lcal
Start Date: 01/02/2012
A head's up cinnamon has carbs in it.
Passion68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!
 
catne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Smack dab in the Middle
Posts: 1,826
Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
but cinnamon is mostly fiber, so the net carbs are extremely low...important if you're using large quantities or counting all carbs very carefully, but negligible for most people's usage.

It comes out to about .7 carbs per teaspoon. Which is a LOT of cinnamon. Most people would not use anywhere close to a full teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of coffee (that would be a very strong red-hots taste!) You'd be more likely to use a "shake" of cinnamon which could be as little as an 1/8 of a teaspoon.

Last edited by catne; 01-24-2013 at 12:42 PM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
To me using Coconut milk or almond milk is like using nothing...not even creamy ......
ITA, feels like pouring water into my coffee. Blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Real coconut milk, not the "coconut milk beverage" is very creamy
I haven't tried this, is it less carby than HWC?

My preference is HWC, but I never liked the sweetened stuff in my coffee. Coffee is about the only thing I naturally like without sugar. Now I really wish I liked it just plain black. It would be nice to really enjoy it without any calories at all.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Now I really wish I liked it just plain black. It would be nice to really enjoy it without any calories at all.
Black coffee is an acquired taste. But you can acquire it. Just drink it. You won't like it at first but within 7 days you'll wonder why you ever sullied good coffee with any sort of cream or sweetener.

One thing about drinking it black, though, is that bad coffee tastes really bad. And overcooked coffee is horrible.

Up until about 20 years ago I never drank it black. Couldn't stand it. But a guy I worked with challenged me to try it black for 7 days. I was a convert within 2 or 3 days.

I use HWC since going HFLC and now NK for the extra fat but I still prefer a good cup of black coffee.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Black coffee is an acquired taste. But you can acquire it. Just drink it. You won't like it at first but within 7 days you'll wonder why you ever sullied good coffee with any sort of cream or sweetener.

One thing about drinking it black, though, is that bad coffee tastes really bad. And overcooked coffee is horrible.

Up until about 20 years ago I never drank it black. Couldn't stand it. But a guy I worked with challenged me to try it black for 7 days. I was a convert within 2 or 3 days.

I use HWC since going HFLC and now NK for the extra fat but I still prefer a good cup of black coffee.

Ugh. I have tried a couple of times and always resort to diet coke after my first cup. Right now I'm in a little groove of getting studying done at Starbucks and enjoying my two venti coffees w HWC. . But that's coming to an end on march 1, so I think I'll give it a try then.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Yeah, you have to muscle through it. It is worth it
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,190
Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
but cinnamon is mostly fiber, so the net carbs are extremely low...important if you're using large quantities or counting all carbs very carefully, but negligible for most people's usage.

It comes out to about .7 carbs per teaspoon. Which is a LOT of cinnamon. Most people would not use anywhere close to a full teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of coffee (that would be a very strong red-hots taste!) You'd be more likely to use a "shake" of cinnamon which could be as little as an 1/8 of a teaspoon.

When I looked it up on the nutrition site, it said 1 teaspoon was 2 carbs with 1 fiber for a net of 1 carb. IF you used a whole teaspoon in coffee grounds when you made a pot of coffee, it would clog the filter and you'd have a mess. True, it would be way too 'hot'. A couple of shakes isn't much at all.

That is the reason I started breaking up a cinnamon stick. A tiny piece thrown in with the grounds gives great flavor. It breaks up lengthwise then you just break it in thirds or half and you have a very little piece.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.