Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
Is anyone else starving when you wake up?

I am always sooo hungry after my morning coffee. Eggs are not my faves to eat. I am going to get more organized this weekend in the food department. So any suggestions on breakfast foods are appreciated or any foods that are quick to eat before work. Weekends are easier as i have more time. 3 pieces of bacon on the run is just not enough to fill me. I get ravenous at work and then eat junk food. Thank so much!
wannabethin57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You must get the carbs out to get rid of the hunger and the best way to do that is an Atkins style induction which includes enough fat to feel satiated. Get rid of the 'diet mentality' and eat until you are satisfied and if you get hungry again have prepared food so that carbs are not tempting.

I suggest making a crustless quiche for quick easy morning meal. Cheesy broccoli or cauli soup can be sipped on in a easy to go cup. Pack extra in a thermos. Egg salad, tuna salad, or minced ham are also easy peasy and can be eaten with a spoon or wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

Planning ahead is so important and using your weekends to make up some foods in advance would really help.

You can do this and it will be worth the extra effort it takes in the beginning.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
You must get the carbs out to get rid of the hunger and the best way to do that is an Atkins style induction which includes enough fat to feel satiated. Get rid of the 'diet mentality' and eat until you are satisfied and if you get hungry again have prepared food so that carbs are not tempting.

I suggest making a crustless quiche for quick easy morning meal. Cheesy broccoli or cauli soup can be sipped on in a easy to go cup. Pack extra in a thermos. Egg salad, tuna salad, or minced ham are also easy peasy and can be eaten with a spoon or wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

Planning ahead is so important and using your weekends to make up some foods in advance would really help.

You can do this and it will be worth the extra effort it takes in the beginning.
Thank you! I know that in the beginning there is planning. I can do this, yet again!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Clacky-Can you please post some of your tried and true recipes? Are they from Linda Sue's site?

As well as other posters here! TY
Would love soup and casserole suggestions.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

sorry that was Clackly!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

darn, I can't spell... sorry Clackley Cathy!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Okay, I know I do a lot of planning and I am a year into this game. On Sunday morning I cook an entire dozen of scrambled eggs and meat of my choice (bacon, sausage, etc) to add to it. I portion it out so that I get about 2 eggs and meat per serving. Each morning I grab one of these and take it to work. Throw a little cheese and green salsa on it and bam... filling easy breakfast. Sometimes I add some liquid to it if it looks a little dry and the heat up in the microwave and are yum. I've made the quiche before, but I like the scrambled better right now. Although the quiche is easier to portion out. Also, you can make a MIM quick. I keep a half dozen bags of the dry stuff ready to go and all I have to do is add the wet. Just it case. Also, I just discovered OOPSIE rolls. I was thinking of making a weeks worth of Egg McSYAs. Oopsie rolls with egg, sausage, bacon, cheese, etc between it. And put them in the fridge or freezer and grab one each day to heat up.
Okay, and you can make yourself a sandwich without egg too. Oopsie roll plus your fillings.
On Sunday I also crock pot up a meal. Usually a roast or some sorty of meaty yuminess that I can use to make meals with. Meat already done up plus a veggie is an easy meal. I've been stuck on those steamer asparagus right now and 1 steamer bag is two meals for me.
Oh, and lately I've been making a soup every weekend that is carb friendly and taking it in to munch on. Taco soup is my sons favorite. There is a great easy recipe for easy Creamy Taco Soup on this board.
Oh, I keep ham and roast beef sandwich slices in the fridge with pickles. dipped in sauce of choice...
I always keep my freezer full of steamer bags. and some frozen meat. Take them out in the AM and I have lunch and dinner and breakfasts if I want.

Fail to plan=plan to fail
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Ha, ha - that was funny! Please just call me Cathy!

I still plan for every day and that is years into it.

This is a great, quick and easy go to soup...

Egg Drop Soup
1.5 cups chicken broth
garlic (1 clove if fresh or a pinch if powdered)
ginger (1 tsp if fresh or a pinch if powdered)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 green onion chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
Bring all ingredients except the egg to a gentle boil. Slowly pour egg through the tines of a fork into the pot. Gently stir. Voila!

I would copy and paste specific recipes but they are very easily found on Linda Sue's blog and Jamie's Lighterside blog. If you don't find what you are looking for, please ask and I will happily provide what ever I can.

I think it is good to become used to looking for recipes and ideas because you want to make this a way of living and therefore learn how to cook that way. There is precious little that I can't convert to low carb.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
you don't have to eat breakfast

nothing wrong with a big old bacon cheeseburger in the morning. talk about filling

any leftovers, any meals you love, YOU CAN EAT at breakfast.

don't just think breakfast foods, ALL foods are legit on plan at any time.

eat away!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Yes, don't limit yourself to breakfast foods if there are other things you enjoy more. I et eggs every day because I love them, but dinner leftovers, meat and gravy, salads, even dairy based products like cheese and full fat yogurt, can all be had in the morning (depending on your plan, of course!).
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Ha, ha - that was funny! Please just call me Cathy!

I still plan for every day and that is years into it.

This is a great, quick and easy go to soup...

Egg Drop Soup
1.5 cups chicken broth
garlic (1 clove if fresh or a pinch if powdered)
ginger (1 tsp if fresh or a pinch if powdered)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 green onion chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
Bring all ingredients except the egg to a gentle boil. Slowly pour egg through the tines of a fork into the pot. Gently stir. Voila!
I'm gonna have to run to the store for a chicken. This would hit the spot today!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabethin57 View Post
I am always sooo hungry after my morning coffee. Eggs are not my faves to eat. I am going to get more organized this weekend in the food department. So any suggestions on breakfast foods are appreciated or any foods that are quick to eat before work. Weekends are easier as i have more time. 3 pieces of bacon on the run is just not enough to fill me. I get ravenous at work and then eat junk food. Thank so much!
A few thoughts:

1. Caffeine is an appetite stimulant for some people.
2. The brain cannot differentiate between hunger and thirst.
3. Caffeine is a diuretic for some people.
4. Ketosis causes kidneys to utilize/excrete more water.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Spike your coffee with heavy whipping cream and about .5oz of coconut oil. You'll be full for hours or you won't have to eat much to be full for hours and hours.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I have never been a breakfast person. I always skipped it. But, I really think that by getting into the habit of eating something for breakfast helped me to lose the 125 pounds so far (I've got about another 20 to go, but I've never been thin or normal weight so I really don't know how much more I want to lose).
Right now, I've started drinking chicken broth with cream added to it for breakfast. It's quick, I can take it with me or drink it at work, and it tastes great. I use the Kirkland organic chicken broth from Costco most of the time. But, it's even better with homemade bone broth.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: omgtwins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
How much are you eating before bed? I find if I dont eat a lot or I eat dinner too early I am more hungry in the morning.
And leftovers are the best to eat when eggs or time isnt something you want/have as well as to take to work.
I wish I could plan but I find the leftovers I expected are usually gone sooner than I wanted because of DH and kids but I have pork rinds/dip to get me through until something is thawed.
omgtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Spike your coffee with heavy whipping cream and about .5oz of coconut oil. You'll be full for hours or you won't have to eat much to be full for hours and hours.

This works for me as well...Add fat to what ever you drink in a.m. whether it be coffee, tea, shake...whatever...fat fills you up and makes your liquid drink a meal...you don't have to eat solid food to get your breakfast in and feel full...I put coffee, hwc and coconut oil in magic bullet and make a mock latte...you can add flavors if you like...I also will have a protein shake with hwc on work days. blended in bullet with ice.

There are a lot of ways to beat hunger you just gotta learn the rules and work them til they work for you.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
My advice probably depends on what you mean by starving, but here is what I think might be happening based on my experience, so I hope it helps.

If you are eating enough calories (ie. eating at your maintenance) you shouldn't be starving when you wake up because the body should be used to fasting overnight. If what you are feeling is ravenous hunger then the hunger you are feeling might be associated with the effects of hypoglycemia and your body doesn't know how to regulate its blood glucose levels as well as it should. Chances are this is because you might have some type of insulin disorder. This is probably caused by eating too many carbs. But I am not a medical professional it is just a hunch, and you probably have to experiment with your diet to get the right carb/protein/fat ratio to make this ravenous hunger go away.

Having said that though, if you are undereating and trying to lose weight then the hunger you feel is normal. But it feels different, at least on me it does. When I under-eat I get a low level burning sensation in my stomach. It is bareable and if I drink a cup of coffee in the morning with some heavy cream it in, I can usually go for a few more hours. Not that I want to do this, but the difference is with the "carb induced" hunger, I can't ignore it. Where as the with the authentic hunger it is possible to ignore it if I have to.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ishy
Tell me about it. I was at work this morning and everyone could hear my stomach lol
ishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

GREAT responses! Thanks so much! can't wait to make me some egg drop soup!

I have acually added HWC to my coffe and it does help.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #21

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I wish I would wait to "starve" till I wake up! often it wakes me up in the night, as early as 2 or 3am, and I can't get back to sleep because the hunger is so strong. *sigh*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qwertyui
Stats: 231/205/175
WOE: Induction!
Start Date: restarting January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I wish I would wait to "starve" till I wake up! often it wakes me up in the night, as early as 2 or 3am, and I can't get back to sleep because the hunger is so strong. *sigh*
That happens to me too! Last night I got up and had four or five bites of cheesecake. I couldn't get back to sleep at all. Up at 4:30, fell back asleep after 6:00, and up at 7:30. Not enough beauty sleep for me!
qwertyui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
It makes sense to eat breakfast to start your day. So it's good that you're hungry then. Eat.

You can eat anything you want for breakfast.
-I like tuna fish with a little mayo and plenty of mustard.
-Or some leftover steak or chicken, either cold or zapped for 30 sec in the microwave,either plain or with a little cheese. I usually keep it to 1 ounce of cheese for breakfast personally, to keep me from going over the limit throughout the day.
-how about a slice of low carb pizza? Linda Sue has a lot of pizza recipes. You could make it whenever it's convenient and then eat it cold or microwaved for breakfast.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Pork Recipes

Or one of the casseroly things on Linda Sue's site, again, made ahead. I reduce the quantities of cheese and other gunky things in a lot of her recipes, but she has some great ideas.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Ground Beef Recipes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hoofan12
Stats: 351/250/170
WOE: Atkins (principles of it)
Start Date: November 1, 2012
I would so suggest avoiding all drinks that contain caffeine. It has a tendency to cause hunger in certain people (including me). I know some people have to have their coffee. But since I started back in November I have had nothing but water. And I usually start my day drinking 2-3 glasses before eating and before every meal.
Hoofan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
One of my favorite breakfasts is two slices of swiss cheese used as "bread". I put thin sliced turkey breast and dill pickle chips in between them.

I also like cottage cheese in the morning. Sometimes with cucumbers, salt and pepper. Sometimes a few blueberries and sometimes just plain.
Lisa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I find if I'm really hungry when I wake up, a cup or 2 of black coffee kills my appetite.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Just about the only time I am ever really hungry is in the morning! I eat a one minute muffin (with cocoa powder!) and a cup of coffee with cream, and that holds me all day until dinner time!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

It is getting better! The carb overload is one of the reasons for my hunger. yesterday and today have been way better!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #29
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/181/135
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
I agree with those that said breakfast can be anything. it does NOT have to be breakfast food. whatever sounds good to you is fine. leftovers for dinner. a hamburger, a hotdog (if you eat them), cheese, protein shake, chicken or chicken salad. Get out of the thinking that you HAVE to have breakfast food at breakfast time.
stews is online now   Reply With Quote