Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I LOVE CANNED GREEN BEANS! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794824-i-love-canned-green-beans.html)

marieze 01-18-2013 10:22 PM

I LOVE CANNED GREEN BEANS!

Oh sure, I make fresh ones too when the bagged ones that have been cleaned and "deveined"are on sale!

But c'mon, tell me you can't get behind a big can of green beans which take only 2 minutes till they're ready and then put a big ol' chunk of butter on them making something like a green bean soup!!!!

Well, as I was eating these tonight I was thinking that I should do this more often!!

zombiegoat2000 01-18-2013 11:22 PM

The only time I eat fresh green beans is when the company xmas party caters, usually wrapped in bacon!

Britt1975 01-18-2013 11:30 PM

I like to slow boil them for about an hour with a meaty ham hock - so yummy!

SlowMovingWoman 01-19-2013 12:55 AM

Del Monte green beans. Ten cans for ten dollars at my grocery this week.
Good beans and good price. Yum, yum!

Lokarbiebarbie 01-19-2013 05:52 AM

I like to make one cup of stock (boulion cube, 7 o 8 ounces hot water)...bring to boil... fry and chop three, four strips of bacon with one small onion chopped...put in stock...then drain one can green beans, the other can drain halfway...and then heat the beans till hot. YUM

24Fan 01-19-2013 06:24 AM

Me too! I was just grocery shopping and passed canned green beans and thought hmm I used to love them with cottage cheese and ketchup . LOL don't judge.

Picked up a few cans.

gymnut56 01-19-2013 07:09 AM

Yep, me too! I like them a lot better than fresh ones.

wannabethin57 01-19-2013 07:26 AM

Now I want some green beans!!!:hyst:

Dottie 01-19-2013 07:35 AM

I drain a can and add some italian dressing to them and chill:) Good as a salad or tossed with some lettuce, cucumber and red onion :)

nolcjunk 01-19-2013 07:49 AM

There is one reason to avoid them- they are a food with some of the highest levels of BPA (it leeches from the cans) . Even the FDA admitted to this in a recent study that that they did about canned vegetables and BPA.

BPA is scary because it has an estrogen like effect in the body and can do all sorts of things to disrupt hormones and cause reproductive problems like cancers and infertility.

Cindy-lou 01-19-2013 08:05 AM

I would rather eat the can green beans then fresh or frozen
They are my favorite!!

Patlaf 01-19-2013 08:09 AM

I prefer them to fresh also. My supermarket has them in jars, not cans.

Pat

princessmommy 01-19-2013 08:54 AM

Love GB! I buy the packaged ones from aldis and either snap em myself and cook them Or drizzle some evoo on them with some sea salt and bake them until they're crispy and eat like ff. Soo Yum!!

tymom 01-19-2013 08:59 AM

you know i never even think about canned ones.,... and i DO like them! will try some of the ideas you guys mention. (store run today)

avid 01-19-2013 09:21 AM

No doubt about it....canned veggies are the least expensive, easiest, and often times the tastiest way to get your veggies in.
But I cut way back on using them because of the loss of nutrients inherent to the canning process....and that was before I knew about bpa.

toogood 01-19-2013 09:34 AM

I love them too! When my kids were toddlers that was their finger food snack! Unsalted, canned breans was like candy for them. They would all get a bowl of these and eat them like any other crunchy snacks! Now that they r teens they still love green beans. A favorite meal for them is green bean casserole with brown rice.

ljmama0408 01-19-2013 09:42 AM

Aldi's has great canned green beans for around 42 cents/can.

marieze 01-19-2013 02:10 PM

I just bought 10 more cans for .33 cents apiece!!!!!

cfine 01-19-2013 03:01 PM

My Dad cans green beans out of the garden every year. It drives him crazy when we buy canned green beans from the store, but they are so tasty and don't have strings in them.

gladee88er 01-19-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16205989)
No doubt about it....canned veggies are the least expensive, easiest, and often times the tastiest way to get your veggies in.
But I cut way back on using them because of the loss of nutrients inherent to the canning process....and that was before I knew about bpa.

These are the two reasons why I never eat canned veges. I try to stay away from all canned stuff, but it's hard sometimes. I like frozen myself. Little more expensive, but I think they taste better, and I think most good companies freeze them very soon after harvesting. Make sure to drink all the broth too!

tymom 01-19-2013 05:54 PM

just bought some! great in salad.

Strawberry 01-19-2013 06:06 PM

Do they make any BPA free green beans?

I LOVE canned green beans... I hate it when I feel like literally EVERYTHING I eat has something BAD in it for me. I like them canned because they come with the green bean flavored water that makes a "broth" of sorts when you heat it. I do like frozen too, if I cook them in chicken broth.

muncheechee 01-19-2013 06:11 PM

I prefer canned green beans too. I drain the can and put them in a dry pan and cook out the excess water and continue to cook until they get little brown spots then add butter and season to taste. Easily one of my favorite veges.

nolcjunk 01-19-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16206938)
Do they make any BPA free green beans?

I LOVE canned green beans... I hate it when I feel like literally EVERYTHING I eat has something BAD in it for me. I like them canned because they come with the green bean flavored water that makes a "broth" of sorts when you heat it. I do like frozen too, if I cook them in chicken broth.

Trader Joe's green beans come in BPA free cans. And, someone above gets green beans in jars. You can always email the company because some don't say that they are BPA free even though they are like Eden organics products (they've actually been BPA free for like 10 years now, except their canned tomato products).

This is from one of the studies done by consumer reports:

Canned Del Monte Fresh Cut Green Beans Blue Lake had BPA levels ranging from 35.9 ppb to 191 ppb, the highest amount for a single sample in our test. Since we didn't test other canned green beans or soups, we don't know if this is typical of those products.

A 165-pound adult eating one serving of canned green beans from our sample, which averaged 123.5 ppb, could ingest about 0.2 micrograms of BPA per kilogram of body weight per day, about 80 times higher than our experts' recommended daily upper limit. And children eating multiple servings per day of canned foods with BPA levels comparable to the ones we found in some tested products could get a dose of BPA approaching levels that have caused adverse effects in several animal studies.

Strawberry 01-19-2013 06:49 PM

Thanks Nolcjunk! That really helps.. I will look for them at Trader Joes. (i'm lucky they recently opened one about a 45 min drive from me!)

24Fan 01-20-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16205775)
I drain a can and add some italian dressing to them and chill:) Good as a salad or tossed with some lettuce, cucumber and red onion :)

mmmm that sounds tasty, Dottie!

lterry913 01-20-2013 10:16 AM

I don't eat canned veggies unless I have to because of the reasons stated by some posts above...however if I do I try to get the Very green beans from Kroger...I don't know if any one else carries a version as I have stated I don't eat from cans to often. The very green beans were firmer, nicer looking and tasted pretty good compared to other green beans in cans.

SlowMovingWoman 01-21-2013 02:44 AM

Requarding the BPA in canned veggies. I pour off all the juice in the can and then rinse
the veggies well before heating in the microwave. This may not get all of it but will
cut way down on it. Besides, I was raised eating lots of canned veggies. My Mom
didn't pour off the juice and I'm still here many years later. SMW

Filly 01-21-2013 02:49 AM

There is something wrong with everything, isn't there? Well, what can we do?

avid 01-21-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filly (Post 16209148)
There is something wrong with everything, isn't there? Well, what can we do?

This is so true.
We have to pick our battles.
The sad reality is that ALL of our food is tampered with to one extent or another. Livestock are fed treated grains and given hormones. Fish are contaminated with metals, Produce is GMO'd...even our water is altered.
So we make our choices based on our personal sensibilities, along with what's availabe to us and what our budgets will allow.