LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 266/266/168, 5'9", 27
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 19th May 2015
Favourite Salad Dressings?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what your favourite dressings for salads were? I have used a brand called Cardinis for both ranch and caesar dressing for a long time. They might be UK only but I recently bought a new ranch dressing - Brianna's home style buttermilk ranch and it is DELICIOUS! According to the label it is made in Texas so I assume it must be available to those of you in the US.

The Cardinis is 0.7g carbs per tablespoon and the Brianna's in 1g so not much in it.
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
I love both of those, Amber. We have them here.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm pretty picky about what oils I use, so I end up making my salad dressings from scratch. An easy one is to combine equal parts of olive oil or nut oil and either red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, plus salt to taste (and stir in some mustard, if you like). If you want an Asian-style dressing, use sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, a little minced ginger, and a little toasted sesame oil and tamari.

There may be prepared salad dressings for sale that avoid soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, safflower oil, etc, but I've given up on finding any where I shop, so I just make dressings from scratch, in a screwtop jar that I shake up.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm pretty picky about what oils I use, so I end up making my salad dressings from scratch. An easy one is to combine equal parts of olive oil or nut oil and either red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, plus salt to taste (and stir in some mustard, if you like). If you want an Asian-style dressing, use sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, a little minced ginger, and a little toasted sesame oil and tamari.

There may be prepared salad dressings for sale that avoid soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, safflower oil, etc, but I've given up on finding any where I shop, so I just make dressings from scratch, in a screwtop jar that I shake up.
I agree. I love making my own and finding extra virgin olive oils from different regions and olives. Every salad I make is with evoo, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and celtic or himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper.

I've tried store bought (all kinds) and I hate them because not only the oil/ingredients aren't that great but also they make everything in the salad taste the same, like the dressing, while evoo/lemon just bring out the taste of the vegetables.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post

I make my own,too!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I make my own too and like Sven, because of the oils used in store bought. My current fave is `zesty Italian`. It lasts indefinably in the cabinet (no refrigeration needed).

I also make ranch from scratch. Almost too good!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I also make my own bc I want to control what kind of oils I'm eating. Sadly I don't really know what's best in terms of oils. So far I have just stuck to olive oils. I've been using a more refined (not EVOO) for mayo based dressings, but I'm not sure how healthy that is. Any opinions?

I also like to make my own peanut sauce and water it down a bit for a dressing.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I buy the hidden valley ranch packets and whip up a huge batch! 2 packets, 2 cups mayo, 2 cups heavy cream and mix with my immersion blender. When I use a lot, I wake up and have lost weight....love me some fats!!!!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Sometimes I buy and sometimes I make my own. When I'm buying it at the grocery store my favorite is Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese. It's refrigerated and they keep it the fresh veggie section at the store. I'm SUPER picky about my blue cheese dressing and this stuff has some seriously awesome flavor. I think it has 2g carbs per 2 tablespoons. Marie's also makes other types of salad dressings but honestly I've never tried them before because I just love the blue cheese too much! I don't really buy any of the types that are in the salad dressing isle (non-refrigerated) because honestly they just have so many chemicals and preservatives in them it makes me nervous. Plus, they ALWAYS seem to be high in sugar, even if it's not a dressing that one expects to be sweet
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
Sometimes I buy and sometimes I make my own. When I'm buying it at the grocery store my favorite is Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese. It's refrigerated and they keep it the fresh veggie section at the store. I'm SUPER picky about my blue cheese dressing and this stuff has some seriously awesome flavor. I think it has 2g carbs per 2 tablespoons. Marie's also makes other types of salad dressings but honestly I've never tried them before because I just love the blue cheese too much! I don't really buy any of the types that are in the salad dressing isle (non-refrigerated) because honestly they just have so many chemicals and preservatives in them it makes me nervous. Plus, they ALWAYS seem to be high in sugar, even if it's not a dressing that one expects to be sweet
The Marie's brand is my favorite blue cheese dressing ... tastes great and the label claims zero carbs. Their Caesar dressing is good too (not sure on the carb count but I think it's low). I often make our own dressings though because home made is just so good and we don't like bottled ranch.

Last edited by muncheechee; 01-18-2013 at 05:37 PM..
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
I love just squeezing lemon on my salads and add evoo and salt.
But I'm going try the ranch that you suggested. ty
wannabethin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Cousin's Creole Tomato. If you like creamy dressings, you'd love it. Unfortunately, I can only get it about half the year, and it lasts about half the year, so I wind up having at least part of the year I can't get it. It's made by a small, family owned company in New Orleans, so it has to be cool enough to ship it for me to order it.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
When I'm bored or just want something simple, I mix 1T mayo, 1-2T vinegar and a drop of sweetener and loads of cracked pepper as a quick dressing.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Make my own too because of the oils. Have a 1000 Island recipe that we eat on EVERYTHING! So good. And I make Reuben Casserole with it in the crockpot or oven. Also have a homemade basalmic Italian dressing that is super yummy too.

Going to try that Asian one someone posted and the ranch!
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I have not found any dressings that don't contain things I want to avoid.

I need to make my own salad dressings because of that but I'm usually not very motivated to do that & I end up not having salads.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I have not found any dressings that don't contain things I want to avoid.

I need to make my own salad dressings because of that but I'm usually not very motivated to do that & I end up not having salads.
I'm guilty of that, too. I like Marie's--especially Caesar and jalapeno ranch, Bernstein's Cheese Fantastico, and Cardini's Caesar, but I don't buy them often. When I make my own, I like green goddess, ranch, and tomato-bacon. I love, love, love Trader Vic's Javanese dressing, which I hope to recreate one of these days because it's almost impossible to find. If anyone has a recipe for it, I'd be eternally grateful.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
My favorite:
1 tbsp macadamia oil
1/2 tbsp malt vinegar
dab of mustard or miso
dash of Jane's Krazy salt
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I buy the hidden valley ranch packets and whip up a huge batch! 2 packets, 2 cups mayo, 2 cups heavy cream and mix with my immersion blender. When I use a lot, I wake up and have lost weight....love me some fats!!!!
This sounds delicious, I have to try this, thanks for posting!
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
I bought these dry salad dressings on amazon they were: Napa valley, Italian and Greek. So far I like them all. So when I want dressing/marinade for my cucumbers or leftover asparagus or greenbeans I make up a batch. I am watching my calories.fat and carbs. My dressing is 2 tbsp MCT oil, 4tbsp acv or rice vinegar or coconut vinegar and about 3 tbsp spices I also add 3 tbsp water and shake it up than put my veggies in I also use the same thing on my lettuce salads.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I like refrigerated Ranch dressing - either Litehouse or Marie's brand. Unfortunately, they have the bad oils in them, so I've been making my own ranch dressing with greek yogurt and avocado, thinned with buttermilk, to provide the base.

I love Olive Garden dressing, Girards champagne vinaigarette, and also a Trader joe's champagne vinaigarette I recently got. Unfortunately, I also discovered how yummy Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette With Gorgonzola is... "unfortunately" because it has 4g carbs per serving. I also like any sort of golden italian dressing.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AllisonB
Stats: Day of surgery:255/Today:142/Goal:140
Start Date: RNY 8/20/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo View Post
Make my own too because of the oils. Have a 1000 Island recipe that we eat on EVERYTHING! So good. And I make Reuben Casserole with it in the crockpot or oven. Also have a homemade basalmic Italian dressing that is super yummy too.

Going to try that Asian one someone posted and the ranch!
Would you share your recipes for your dressing and casserole? I love everything connected with reubens
AllisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: socaligirl714
Stats: 310/286/180
Start Date: Restart-06/18/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
Never knew u can use hwc
socaligirl714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clare_o
Stats: 159/131/130, 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat/Mod Protein
Start Date: September 2012
I love plain old mayo & I also love Waitrose's Creamy Blue Cheese dressing.

Clare
clare_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
Great Post...
I love a good oil and vinegar when I go out and the best would be at a Greek restaurant

I have a hard time mixing one at home to taste as good
I have tried several oils and vinegar but it's never as good as the Greek restaurant
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Cindy add a little dried oregano and lemon juice and see if that helps
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
thanks I will try that
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healed01
Stats: 183/142/135
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: May 23 2008
Renee Might Ceasar; as fresh as store bought goes and LC
healed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Unfortunately, I also discovered how yummy Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette With Gorgonzola is... "unfortunately" because it has 4g carbs per serving.
Isn't that sad! I love that dressing. Sigh...
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
My new favorite is Balsamic Tomato Basil Anything dressing by Kraft, but it has 5 carbs per 2 tblsp. (sugar). I'm going to try and make my own this week because the ingredient list is not too nice to look at.
I found some recipes that I think will be close and probably end up tasting better.
My old forever favorite is Ken's blue cheese, I've just wanted to get away from bottled dressings.
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
I love Trader Joe's Goddess (same as Annie's). I also like Toasted sesame oil and ume boshi plum vinegar with Gomasio w/ sea weed.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote