Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Low carb IS expensive!

In addition to having to buy new clothes (see Anyone else become a clothes horse since losing weight?), gym fees (even at $20/month), a ridiculous Pilates habit (2-3 classes/week - I'd do more if I could), and now? Burlesque classes!

Being fat and lazy was DEFINITELY cheaper.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Love it!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/259/145
WOE: JUDDD newbie
Start Date: 8/14/14
Still gotta be cheaper than weight induced health problems
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Yeah! And we are worth it, baby!! Woop woop Woop!!
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
A sexy skinny girl's gotta do what she's gotta do! You go, girl!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Think of

*the better gas mileage your getting now
*less soap, lotion, etc. used
*less wear on shoes, chairs, etc.

helps pay for it!

Congrats!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by giJ View Post
In addition to having to buy new clothes (see Anyone else become a clothes horse since losing weight?), gym fees (even at $20/month), a ridiculous Pilates habit (2-3 classes/week - I'd do more if I could), and now? Burlesque classes!

I've been taking burlesque classes for 3 years now. I've done some performances (I didn't strip down to pasties though). I want to teach now!

Last edited by Maryposa; 01-19-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I've been taking burlesque classes for 3 years now. I've done some performances (I didn't strip down to pasties though). I want to teach now!
So tell me, since you've been doing it for a while, what should I expect?

I am the least coordinated, clutziest person EVER. It should be amusing, if nothing else!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
So tell me, since you've been doing it for a while, what should I expect?

I am the least coordinated, clutziest person EVER. It should be amusing, if nothing else!
Well, I have taken allot of classes from allot of studios and allot of instructors... what to expect really depends on the style, the instructor, and the studio.

What I mean by that:

Style:

Classic Burlesque - My Favorite. Original burlesque music (harlem nocturne, the stripper), props (boas, gloves, thigh highs, fedoras, etc), I wear 2.5" t-strap dance shoes to these classes. It's 40s/50s retro / pin-up feel / style

Neo-Burlesque - Like the movie "Burlesque" it's still Burlesque, but more of a modern feel. What's funny is that my neo-burlesque instructor LOVED to pick Christina Aguilera songs for our classes BEFORE the movie came out lol. Modern music but definitely with a jazzy/sexy feel to it. Some gals go barefoot, some with stripper heels, and some with the dance shoes described above.

Rock Burlesque - Burlesque moves set to rock-n-roll music of any decade including modern. There are also some modern day strip club kind of moves. My least favorite but if the class is properly labelled it doesn't irritate me (I am kinda a purist lol)

Cabaret - This is burlesque style incorporating a chair as the primary prop. All of burlesque is theatrical, but to me, cabaret is less glamorous, flirty, etc and more dramatic and sometimes raunchy lol

Crapesque - lol ok so I made that up... there are most certainly classes out there called burlesque because it's a popular concept but the instructor has no idea what burlesque is really about.

Instructor:

Obviously, every individual has a different teaching style, focus (could be the music, the artform, the sensual aspect, women's body image) etc

Studio:

Believe it or not this makes a difference. For instance, my favorite instructor moved from a studio where she was given free reign where she focused allot on technique, props, body image, womanhood to a fitness studio where the owner, although great, is a control freak and insists that the class be a good workout. Although she is a good instructor still, the feel of the class changed allot

Dance studios - focus is on technique, the artform, props, style, etc. For me, this is WAYYYYY more fun, but not a great workout

Fitness studios - focus is on a fun workout, key word workout. If it is a one hour class, expect to get to work on a routine right away after a warm up including burlesque moves. Don't expect much technique focus (ok I see I am supposed to circle my chest, but how???)

Pole dance studio - because allot of the girls are used to stripper pole heels, they will come to class in those. If so, the class might be slower paced (it has to be in those shoes honestly in my opinion they are dangerous and I think the instructor knows this and slows down if she sees that allot of girls in class prefer these shoes). Not all might be like that, but that's been my experience.

Overall, most classes also include floor work... for me this is the hardest part... getting up and down from the floor while looking effortlessly sexy, flirty and graceful is HARD lol

I hope that helps! I'd love to hear how it goes... three years later and still going, obviously I LOVE it... its a nice contrast/balance to my engineering job lol

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey

Last edited by Maryposa; 01-19-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #10

PS I have also taken belly dance for the same three years... Burlesque is definitely more individualized... belly dance has a definite right and wrong way to do things in my experience... whereas burlesque, if you mimic something and don't quite get it but it looks good anyway, go for it! If it doesn't look good, find a way to make it look good! So it should be less stressful in that way lol
Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #11

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:

oh burlesque classes sound like soo much fun!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #12

Jealous of those that can do it! I'd look like a freakin comedy act....clutzy beyond belief.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Maryposa: thank you thank you thank you for your post. I'm REALLY hoping it's "classic" burlesque. It never occurred to me that it could be anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
Jealous of those that can do it! I'd look like a freakin comedy act....clutzy beyond belief.
That will be me, I promise
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Maryposa: thank you thank you thank you for your post. I'm REALLY hoping it's "classic" burlesque. It never occurred to me that it could be anything else.

That will be me, I promise
Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #15

Soooo... how'd it go?????
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Maryposa - do you know of any good burlesque DVDs so I can practice in the privacy of my own home? Sounds like fun but I'd need lots of practice before I'd do it in a class.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Sounds fun!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
Maryposa - do you know of any good burlesque DVDs so I can practice in the privacy of my own home? Sounds like fun but I'd need lots of practice before I'd do it in a class.
Hmm.... why do you need practice? That is what class is for hehe don't be shy!

DVDs... there are some attrocious ones out there, so I am glad you asked.

I have one that is a "goddess" work out (they make belly dance DVDs as well) that is OK and gives cute names for the moves, but the woman on the video, in my opinion, doesn't do them really well (not that she does anything "incorrectly", it's just not "wow"). Still, I would say it's an OK one.

I would NOT recommend any DVD where a MAN is leading / showing how to do the moves. Believe it or not, they exist... I won't name any names... but I will say, a man doesn't have the same "center of gravity" as a woman, no matter how in tune with his feminine side... and the moves just don't work the same. I suppose it's possible, I have seen some TERRIFIC male belly dancers, because they do moves in a way which works on a man's body, but I have never seen a man perform burlesque well.

There are a couple DVDs which I don't personally own but which look decent. I will list the names later if I remember (I will try!)

Another thing you can try, is watching youtube videos... hey, one of the ways the shimmies and struts came about was dancers imitating Little Egypt, the belly dancer.... no one told them exactly how to do it, they just tried to do what she was doing, and made it their own in the process. That's one of the fun things about burlesque, in my experience it is a style, but there's not necesarily a "right" and "wrong", technique-wise... you just try stuff, and customize to where it looks good on YOU. Whereas in belly dance, it is allot more specific in the techniques.

I hope that helps. I will try to remember to come back to post the names of the videos I mentioned which look decent.

Last edited by Maryposa; 02-20-2013 at 06:11 PM..